What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game Day Experience, What do we want?

SattlersJaw14

Juniors
So as of next year, at games, we'll only be getting one grade, first grade, no u20s or reggies
This, for me is a step back, its regressive, i like a lot of other people like to keep an eye on who is coming through & try & pick where our players of the future are coming from, to get full value from the amount of time, effort, passion & money we all put in, this seems like normal response, we all like to think we're amateur coaches & selectors, which is great, its good fun

As for the stadium itself, anybody that has been there would notice that it is a large, cavernous, concrete heap of shit down underneath, there are a few food shops that sell overpriced junk food that is barely fit for consumption, i refuse to buy food inside, i eat before i go & wait till after the game to get dinner or whatever, thankfully there are a few places outside the stadium that give you a few options
I can't for the life of me understand why they don't try & utilise some of that space under the grandstands to have a food court or restaurants, bars etc something with some atmosphere, the members bar is pretty good, albeit expensive but we can do better, or the stadium could do better, i know the crowds are down but this could be part of the impetus to improve them
I notice that (don't laugh) The Toronto Wolfpack in the English third division who are rapidly moving up the hierarchy & will probably playing super league before long have a "beer garden" where they invite local independent brewers along to sell their wares, great idea, i figure that there are constraints with ANZ as they want to have exclusive rights to all food & beverage, but aint it shite?? if enough of us refuse to eat & drink it, something has to change, we're being sold out as mugs

Entertainment, we're being sold kiss cam, dance cam & junior kids running around, all cheap, nasty & crap, we're told that next year to replace the U20s we'll get maybe junior rep games, womens league or disability league, anybody excited? nah didn't think so, the club can pat themselves on the back & feel good about themselves for being politically correct, but i for one just don't want to watch it, doesn't interest me, i'm glad that kids, women & the disabled are playing, but unless i know someone i'm not interested
So what would you like to see? many years ago i witnessed a tigers home game against us at Allianz, before the game & maybe at half time i think they wheeled a mobile stage out with a sound system & put the Choirboys on, they played 3 or 4 songs & it was great, there must be heaps of young local bands, artists etc that want exposure & wouldn't ask the world to perform

So footy (the more the better, would love the old 3 grades on the day, unrealistic i know) Beer, good food & music does it for me, all sensory activities that pique my interest, i really think the powers that be just can't understand what we want, obviously funds are tight & there are constraints, i'd love to see the NRL contribute to the game day experience

So, this begs the question, what would you like to see???

Last edited:

Travitoh

First Grade
Entertainment, we're being sold kiss cam, dance cam & junior kids running around, all cheap, nasty & crap, we're told that next year to replace the U20s we'll get maybe junior rep games, womens league or disability league, anybody excited? nah didn't think so, the club can pat themselves on the back & feel good about themselves for being politically correct, but i for one just don't want to watch it, doesn't interest me, i'm glad that kids, women & the disabled are playing, but unless i know someone i'm not interested
So what would you like to see? many years ago i witnessed a tigers home game against us at Allianz, before the game & maybe at half time i think they wheeled a mobile stage out with a sound system & put the Choirboys on, they played 3 or 4 songs & it was great, there must be heaps of young local bands, artists etc that want exposure & wouldn't ask the world to perform

A mate and i have discussed bands but the difficult bit is catering to everyones taste. Unless you have a decent name playing, it'll probably keep more supporters away who aren't into the genre than it will attract people. Same logic as you use about the games they plan on putting on before them - if i don't know them then why should i bother going?

The stadium is where the problem begins. Rugby League just isn't a big stadium game. The suburban grounds not only look great on tv in comparison but are local and contain their own special atmosphere.

Suncorp works for the Broncos due to a lack of competition from another club in the city and even then it'll be half empty a lot of the time. Instead of pushing for the 'big stadium experience' that Greenberg wants, the game should be investing money with clubs and the government to upgrade the suburban facilities and give the supporters a true home to watch their beloved club play at.

Obviously we need to keep the stadiums on side so we can use them for Origin, GF's and other rep matches so i would suggest playing a double header there once every round, excluding the major bye rounds. That would (hopefully) get more people through the gates and be a good look for rugby league compared to the crowds we see now.

Just my 2 bob's worth anyway.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'm not too fussed as long as we improve on field!!!!

At home games there are usually injured players or players who missed the squad up a the Cauldron!!!

I would like direct trains from Central to Olympic Park!!!!!!

I hope with these double headers and the one inmround 3 where us and Parra have home games that if we are the second match on what happens re seating???

I paid for my diamond seat so I want my diamond seat!!!!! I don't want to be shoved behind the posts when I didn't pay for that...

Anyhow I always renew my diamond membership......

Giving members more opportunities to win stuff at games would be good.....

The Club 1908 membership is fabulous if only I was rich. That is the ultimate me,ebr package....

Rabbits20

Immortal
I actually like ANZ and it's easier to get to for me!!!

It's much more modern than Allianz and it avoids the rat race of the city!!!!

I like the fact it's kind of isolated too.......

T-Boon

Coach
In no particular order:

1. Cheer squad: Ensure the reserve grade, under 20s and under 18s play on a seperate day and then the clubs have those lower grade players turn up on the first grade game day as a quasi cheer squad (add some additional hangers on). Get them to learn some chants or whatever in conjunction with the cheer girls. Basically their job is to try to pump some life into an NRL crowd, the noisier they are the better - no booze - offer the members to sit with the rowdy lower graders;

2. Players sign autographs for the kids along the fence during warm up time - and after the game for 10 minutes;

3. Print a small free game day magazine;

4. Get cheer dudes in addition to cheer girls. Have a womens section have the cheer dudes dance in front of the womens section;

5. Have the womens NRL before the mens;

6. The clubs could put their own band together - rock - brass - whatever;

Last edited:

SattlersJaw14

Juniors
I'm not too fussed as long as we improve on field!!!!

At home games there are usually injured players or players who missed the squad up a the Cauldron!!!

I would like direct trains from Central to Olympic Park!!!!!!

I hope with these double headers and the one inmround 3 where us and Parra have home games that if we are the second match on what happens re seating???

I paid for my diamond seat so I want my diamond seat!!!!! I don't want to be shoved behind the posts when I didn't pay for that...

Anyhow I always renew my diamond membership......

Giving members more opportunities to win stuff at games would be good.....

The Club 1908 membership is fabulous if only I was rich. That is the ultimate me,ebr package....

The club 1908 membership doesn't interest me in the slightest, it looks like it'd be good for kids, its an ok initiative, but not for me, i could think of a better tailor made membership for me for about the same price

As for the double header, i gather they'll just put both sets of members of home teams on different sides of the field but in same positions

Richo stated that they were working on getting direct trains to olympic park

I really don't care about injured players in the cauldron, good for the kids but i'd prefer to leave them alone, give them some peace

Last edited:

SattlersJaw14

Juniors

I don't mind it & when the upgrade is complete i'm sure it will be better, i just find the wasted space beneath the grandstand a pity, someone needs to think outside the square, if shopping centres can put in state of the art food courts with lots of choice, perhaps ANZ could sub let space to different food chains, because as a said, i won't eat or drink at games, unless i smuggle stuff in

SattlersJaw14

Juniors
In no particular order:

1. Cheer squad: Ensure the reserve grade, under 20s and under 18s play on a seperate day and then the clubs have those lower grade players turn up on the first grade game day as a quasi cheer squad (ad some additional hangers on). Get them to learn some chants or whatever in conjunction with the cheer girls. Basically their job is to try to pump some life into an NRL crowd, the noisier they are the better - no booze - offer the members to sit with the rowdy lower graders;

2. Players sign autographs for the kids along the fence during warm up time - and after the game for 10 minutes;

3. Print a small free game day magazine;

4. Get cheer dudes in addition to cheer girls. Have a womens section have the cheer dudes dance in front of the womens section;

5. Have the womens NRL before the mens;

6. The clubs could put their own band together - rock - brass - whatever;

geez, we're certainly on different wavelengths

I just don't want to watch, women play, kids play, disabled people play, coppers play
i want to analyse who is coming through the ranks, lots of us have seen future stars, internationals come through, thats exciting....ahhhhhh take me back to when it was 3rd, 2nd & 1st grade on the same day, magic

T-Boon

Coach
.ahhhhhh take me back to when it was 3rd, 2nd & 1st grade on the same day, magic

they were good times. It was great when you could watch under 23s with the knowledge that if a kid played well he might be on the bench in reserve grade and on very rare occasions warm the bench for first grade. Pretty sure I saw David Penna play all three grade on the same day.

SattlersJaw14

Juniors
they were good times. It was great when you could watch under 23s with the knowledge that if a kid played well he might be on the bench in reserve grade and on very rare occasions warm the bench for first grade. Pretty sure I saw David Penna play all three grade on the same day.

Chris Guider played all three grades for Stgeorge on Grand Final day, 2 wins & they lost first grade

Rabbits20

Immortal
The club 1908 membership doesn't interest me in the slightest, it looks like it'd be good for kids, its an ok initiative, but not for me, i could think of a better tailor made membership for me for about the same price

As for the double header, i gather they'll just put both sets of members of home teams on different sides of the field but in same positions

Richo stated that they were working on getting direct trains to olympic park

I really don't care about injured players in the cauldron, good for the kids but i'd prefer to leave them alone, give them some peace
I know many adults that'd love to meet Souths players.......

SattlersJaw14

Juniors
I know many adults that'd love to meet Souths players.......

see, i'd find that a little creepy, i'm too old for that, sure, i'd be happy to shake a young blokes hand & say well done, but apart from that i have no desire to meet them, they don't want to meet you, they're just going through the motions

I don't want to be in a team photo, i don't want to stand around on the field watching warm ups, i can see just as good from the stands or bar & its more comfortable, i don't want to be in the dressing room after games, again, they don't want you there, i'd feel like i'm imposing

Give me a few lunches in the clive churchill lounge with guest speakers & some free piss & i'd be much happier

Pommy

Coach

If you want a direct train to central how can it be easier to get to than Allianz?

Pommy

Coach
I think ANZ is a dead loss. It just does not meet our needs, theres never going to be an atmosphere in that place with a crowd of 15k.
Im not fussed on the lack of Holden cup as I would normally only catch the last 15 minutes anyway, I would prefer the club moved to either Allianz or to the new Parramatta stadium when its complete as they are a more appropriate size for club games.
As for pre game entertainment I couldn't give a toss, i'm not sure why its even needed. The EPL seem to pack out stadiums without it just fine.
All I want is to come watch the game and go home again, preferably in a stadium with an atmosphere.

A direct train only takes 10 - 15 minutes

Yeah but so does a bus from Central to Allianz

SattlersJaw14

Juniors
I think ANZ is a dead loss. It just does not meet our needs, theres never going to be an atmosphere in that place with a crowd of 15k.
Im not fussed on the lack of Holden cup as I would normally only catch the last 15 minutes anyway, I would prefer the club moved to either Allianz or to the new Parramatta stadium when its complete as they are a more appropriate size for club games.
As for pre game entertainment I couldn't give a toss, i'm not sure why its even needed. The EPL seem to pack out stadiums without it just fine.
All I want is to come watch the game and go home again, preferably in a stadium with an atmosphere.

I think it would take longer actually, with all the traffic & bullshit, i'd say, strangely enough it still might be more convenient, more comfortable & less running around to get to ANZ, & i'd still rather Allianz in a perfect world with all things equal

SattlersJaw14

Juniors

so it doesn't meet our needs???

All you can come up with is some shit about atmosphere? thats your gripe?

it obviously does meet our needs in the most important factor & thats economics

We have the opportunity, apparently to have both main stadiums upgraded & modernised, i hope they go down the American stadium road, with all the bells & whistles & technology, rather than like a lot of the rather dilapidated English football stadiums

Pommy

Coach
so it doesn't meet our needs???

All you can come up with is some shit about atmosphere? thats your gripe?

it obviously does meet our needs in the most important factor & thats economics

We have the opportunity, apparently to have both main stadiums upgraded & modernised, i hope they go down the American stadium road, with all the bells & whistles & technology, rather than like a lot of the rather dilapidated English football stadiums

That is my gripe, why ask a question and then complain when people give you an answer?

Dilapidated football stadiums? Like which ones, any well established side in the EPL has a better stadium than anything Sydney has to offer, thats not willy waving its just a fact.

You can already see what is going to happen in Sydney the money is going to get pissed away on two has arsed jobs and nobody will be happy. Its like watching a car crash in slow motion.

SattlersJaw14

Juniors
That is my gripe, why ask a question and then complain when people give you an answer?

Dilapidated football stadiums? Like which ones, any well established side in the EPL has a better stadium than anything Sydney has to offer, thats not willy waving its just a fact.

You can already see what is going to happen in Sydney the money is going to get pissed away on two has arsed jobs and nobody will be happy. Its like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Well you stated that it doesn't meet our needs & then all you came up with was something about atmosphere, i started to wonder wether you'd left something out, surely that doesn't constitute not meeting our needs?

Some of the modern stadiums are ok, but there are a heap of shitty ones that don't come near some of the beautiful, new, modern stadiums in America, they are 100% more people friendly compared to what we or the UK does on the whole

I'm going to hold back on the cynicism regarding the stadiums until i see whats going to happen & when, i think everyone would be disappointed if they were completed "half arsed" for the benefit of a few votes, its a great opportunity if they do a good job