What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game Day Experience, What do we want?

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
The worst part about ANZ is how it's so big. The stadium never fills out at Souths games and I don't really believe there's any home ground advantage. When you go to grounds like Leichhardt and Brookvale the crowd really play a big factor in the games. The manly and tigers fans get close and personal with the players. You'll never get a game at Leichhardt or manly that isn't packed. I like the idea of the hill as well.

greg jay

Juniors
So as of next year, at games, we'll only be getting one grade, first grade, no u20s or reggies
This, for me is a step back, its regressive, i like a lot of other people like to keep an eye on who is coming through & try & pick where our players of the future are coming from, to get full value from the amount of time, effort, passion & money we all put in, this seems like normal response, we all like to think we're amateur coaches & selectors, which is great, its good fun

As for the stadium itself, anybody that has been there would notice that it is a large, cavernous, concrete heap of shit down underneath, there are a few food shops that sell overpriced junk food that is barely fit for consumption, i refuse to buy food inside, i eat before i go & wait till after the game to get dinner or whatever, thankfully there are a few places outside the stadium that give you a few options
I can't for the life of me understand why they don't try & utilise some of that space under the grandstands to have a food court or restaurants, bars etc something with some atmosphere, the members bar is pretty good, albeit expensive but we can do better, or the stadium could do better, i know the crowds are down but this could be part of the impetus to improve them
I notice that (don't laugh) The Toronto Wolfpack in the English third division who are rapidly moving up the hierarchy & will probably playing super league before long have a "beer garden" where they invite local independent brewers along to sell their wares, great idea, i figure that there are constraints with ANZ as they want to have exclusive rights to all food & beverage, but aint it shite?? if enough of us refuse to eat & drink it, something has to change, we're being sold out as mugs

Entertainment, we're being sold kiss cam, dance cam & junior kids running around, all cheap, nasty & crap, we're told that next year to replace the U20s we'll get maybe junior rep games, womens league or disability league, anybody excited? nah didn't think so, the club can pat themselves on the back & feel good about themselves for being politically correct, but i for one just don't want to watch it, doesn't interest me, i'm glad that kids, women & the disabled are playing, but unless i know someone i'm not interested
So what would you like to see? many years ago i witnessed a tigers home game against us at Allianz, before the game & maybe at half time i think they wheeled a mobile stage out with a sound system & put the Choirboys on, they played 3 or 4 songs & it was great, there must be heaps of young local bands, artists etc that want exposure & wouldn't ask the world to perform

So footy (the more the better, would love the old 3 grades on the day, unrealistic i know) Beer, good food & music does it for me, all sensory activities that pique my interest, i really think the powers that be just can't understand what we want, obviously funds are tight & there are constraints, i'd love to see the NRL contribute to the game day experience

So, this begs the question, what would you like to see???
Well Spotted Johnny. Just think the days at Redfern Oval U23s then reserve grade and in between... The Crisps dancing Strippers jiving to some pop song!!!. Watching the young guys and guys returning from blessure... and the dancing strippers. Great times and you know what? Great VALUE. Murdoch and his cohort managers have got what they wanted for years: An NFL style code where there are NO back up grades merely First Grade and a practice squad. It saves them a lot of dough and puts the focus squarely on certain name players. Its all mechanical and quite boring. Its very sad because football purists are being denied by Monopoly Gangsters like Murdoch. And just think.. idiot economic texts preach how Capitalism is based on Consumer Sovereignty when in reality... you actually get what each Monopolist/Highly Concentrated Oligopolist wants to serve you for a fixed price [see Walmart Murdoch Coles Woolworth etc etc]. What we all can do is DUMP the product being served and DEMAND what WE want i.e U23s/U21s and a Reserve Grade OR a No Show by the public. ANZ is mostly empty anyway except for that Bulldogs clash on GF.

Latest posts