What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game Day v Warriors

wibble

Bench
Watched the U20s game on IQ to see how good Flanno and Brailey are going.

It was only 1 game, against a fairly poor opposition, but I see where calls to blood Flanno Jnr are coming from. He was excellent, really composed, quick thinking, skilful.

I am really excited to see we have someone with his talent and potential coming through the systems. I was also impressed with Brailey (and a number of other players, the 5/8 (Metcalf?) and others). Our systems are excellent, and I think those guys are obviously well coached and learning serious skills for the big grade.

Also, if the challenge from the Warriors was anything to go by (and I heard we are averaging 40 points a game, which is just silly), then this grade is clearly reaching a limiting point as to how much more such skilled players can learn from it. They really do need more challenge.

But the other thing I noted was how young they were. They are really just boys. You could not seriously consider Flanno Jnr or Brailey (Jnr?) for first grade yet. Imagine them next week against a Pappali (if he is back), or against a thug like Edwards from last night (or against Graham or Lewis marking them and charging up on them like they do to other halves). I know that toughening up is part of the process, but I would be terrified for them.

Which is an interesting bind that Flanagan (Snr) may be in one day, wanting to help his son, and help him grow, but also wary of exposing him to too much danger.

But I see why people are talking them up, and think they should certainly be playing for Newtown at stages next year (which is quite a step up too, with players like Tagatese and T-Rex being regularly in that grade) and see how they develop.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Watched the U20s game on IQ to see how good Flanno and Brailey are going.

It was only 1 game, against a fairly poor opposition, but I see where calls to blood Flanno Jnr are coming from. He was excellent, really composed, quick thinking, skilful.

I am really excited to see we have someone with his talent and potential coming through the systems. I was also impressed with Brailey (and a number of other players, the 5/8 (Metcalf?) and others). Our systems are excellent, and I think those guys are obviously well coached and learning serious skills for the big grade.

Also, if the challenge from the Warriors was anything to go by (and I heard we are averaging 40 points a game, which is just silly), then this grade is clearly reaching a limiting point as to how much more such skilled players can learn from it. They really do need more challenge.

But the other thing I noted was how young they were. They are really just boys. You could not seriously consider Flanno Jnr or Brailey (Jnr?) for first grade yet. Imagine them next week against a Pappali (if he is back), or against a thug like Edwards from last night (or against Graham or Lewis marking them and charging up on them like they do to other halves). I know that toughening up is part of the process, but I would be terrified for them.

Which is an interesting bind that Flanagan (Snr) may be in one day, wanting to help his son, and help him grow, but also wary of exposing him to too much danger.

But I see why people are talking them up, and think they should certainly be playing for Newtown at stages next year (which is quite a step up too, with players like Tagatese and T-Rex being regularly in that grade) and see how they develop.

Big part of the reason they are chasing Cronks sig.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Yes. Yes i am.

Penrith did it last year with success, Cleary. Flanno Jr is about 19 now so it's not out of the realms of impossible but if Bird is available he will play at 5/8 every day of the week. Penrith simply had no other option.