What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game Day

coolumsharkie

Referee
In any other team at any other club Holmes doesn't cop the hard marking he gets here.

We expect a lot. Everyone needs to remember that he won't be 22 until he end of July.
80 nrl games by the end of the year.

He has all the physical attributes to be a good fullback. Once he matures mentally then we'll be apples.
Controlling a whole defence is a lot different to divingg for the corner and only being switched on when necessary

He needs to learn that any mental lapse at fullback costs points. On the wing it can often be covered.

I like Val. I reckon he is well worth the money we spent to keep him here for the next few years. He will re-learn the position fast too as he's played there most of his life. doesn't mean he's not beyond criticism though.

I'm sure Flanno will address it.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Don't get me wrong...Val was rocks and diamonds all day but thought one of the worst plays of the day was birdy trying to plant a ball on the tryline from 2 meters out on the first tackle. Reeked of greed when we had them on the rack. If we play like that again we get lapped by the Storm next week.

That was a Mundine type of play all about himself not the team

Stake Removed

First Grade
For Flanno, i think he was looking at Holmes being fullback 2018, so basically he is being fast tracked and will have some mistakes, but the upside is worth it.

Remember Bird let the ball bounce when he played fullback he was just lucky it didnt cost us a try that game

Madsharkie

First Grade
I think the crowd would of been going nuts too if Val had thrown the inside pass to the unmarked supporting Chadley instead of Mr Squiggle. I am pretty sure Chad would of planted it under the black dot and with a hair out of place.
Plus a dab! :)

Inferno

Coach
i dont understand why the fan boys are even highlighting this.least of his problems The big issue was his total lack of urgency, discipline and respect for the opposition & how it poisoned the rest of the team

Rofl.

Gall was asked who he'd like at fullback and his answer was Val. Good enough for me.

Rofl.

Gall was asked who he'd like at fullback and his answer was Val. Good enough for me.

Val set up two of the three tries against Newcastle.

What I like was that one was from a fullback kick return where he picked where there was a big gap in the opposition D and went through and interchanged some passes with Bird and then scored.

And in the first half he through a cut out pass to Feki to score in the corner just like Barba would do.

Unfortunately Val got injured and it did seem to effect his play.

Chimp

Bench
On Holmes, it's worth remembering that he's had a hammy injury, so won't have the same amount of miles in his legs or conditioning as most do currently.

Then throw in the fact that he's been playing on the wing in the past, and fullbacks do plenty more miles during a game, and I think there's some mitigation for the way he finished the game.

I reckon he was gassed, and that will no doubt have impacted his non-chase back from the scrum and his lapse of concentration for the mistake.

Truth is, they were well in control of the game throughout, went into absolute cruise control and nearly paid the price - has happened to plenty of teams before, luckily, we were good enough to still get the lollies on this occasion. Might just turn out to be the kick up the backside we needed to make sure we're 100% on for a Storm game.

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
Rewatched the game today, geez we were bad. Very ordinary in so many areas, Newcastle deserved to win tbh.

Better pull our fingers out otherwise we'll get belted by Melbourne.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Val set up two of the three tries against Newcastle.

What I like was that one was from a fullback kick return where he picked where there was a big gap in the opposition D and went through and interchanged some passes with Bird and then scored.

And in the first half he through a cut out pass to Feki to score in the corner just like Barba would do.

Unfortunately Val got injured and it did seem to effect his play.

He let 2 in as well. Maybe all 3, cant remember who was mainly at fault for the first one off the kick. I know he was way out of position on that kick when the pommie scored.

The one from the scrum when Val had NFI where he should of been and the comedy of errors trying to gather that kick were both down to Humphrey.