What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones II

perverse

Referee
I think Brans flashbacks will primarily serve the same purpose they have until this point - exposition. I don't think we'll see any flashbacks of stuff we've already heard enough about. Would be wasting screen time, and they don't have much left to work with.

Flash forwards could drive the plot a bit, though.

Shorty

Staff member
Isn't that called being a Dyke?

Chook.
Oh dear, really?:roll:
I think Brans flashbacks will primarily serve the same purpose they have until this point - exposition. I don't think we'll see any flashbacks of stuff we've already heard enough about. Would be wasting screen time, and they don't have much left to work with.

Flash forwards could drive the plot a bit, though.
What about Rhaegar? It's still a bit vague on the father's side.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I'd love to see Rhaegar flashbacks.

Just because I think a lot of people who only watch the show still wouldn't get that Jon is Targaryen. I think most would tune out when people speak of him & Lyanna.

perverse

Referee
Oh dear, really?:roll:

What about Rhaegar? It's still a bit vague on the father's side.

As I said, exposition. If we know enough about it, I think it's unlikely we'll see a flashback. If we don't know enough, then it's probably fair game. I'm just guessing, but I just can't see them wasting times on flashbacks of events that we've already been told enough about to understand the rest of the story. Spin-off shows are a real possibility... so I doubt they'll want to step on their own toes there, either.

perverse

Referee

Just because I think a lot of people who only watch the show still wouldn't get that Jon is Targaryen. I think most would tune out when people speak of him & Lyanna.

I certainly tuned out until I heard about R+L=J online. It's possible we'll get more clarity around that, but maybe not. I just don't know where they're going to find the time, there's a lot to cram into the 13 episodes left to come. I the show continued its seasons 1->5 pacing, then yeah... but given how quickly S6 was paced... I can only seeing it getting faster from here.

Game_Breaker

Coach

HBO released this family tree conforming Rhaegar is Jon's father.
I don't understand why they couldn't just make the reveal more explicit in the TOJ scene

jon-snow-family-tree.jpg

BennyV

Referee
Regardless of HBO releasing that, there needs to be an in-show reveal. It's not like Bran will end up at Winterfell and tell Jon that he is actually Lyanna's son and JOn will suddenly know that Rhaegar was his dad!!! He'll just be confused as f**k. Might even think Robert Baratheon was his Dad.

The only other ways he would find out that he is a Targaryen would be Littflefinger, Varys or Sam finding out and telling him. But given that it's such a huge piece of the puzzle, there's every reason to expect that there will be some sort of flashback reveal that shows Bran who Jon's father is. Maybe the Tourney at Harrenhall, maybe some flash of the BAttle of the Trident, or maybe some secret meeting where Rhaegar meets Arthur Dayne is secret and hands Lyanna off to him. Any of the above would be equally cool.

Shorty

Staff member
I think a Rhaegar flashback can work if it's short and has little dialogue.
Think Dany and the house of the undying.

McNulty

Juniors
So, I picked this up from one of the youtube channels I watch, Redteamreview.

So the prophecy states something along the lines of the prince that was promised will be born under a bleeding star,

Now what they mentioned in the video is this image/scene here

7V1rTSp.jpg

Above you'll see the star on the sword and the blood below...

perverse

Referee
Regardless of HBO releasing that, there needs to be an in-show reveal. It's not like Bran will end up at Winterfell and tell Jon that he is actually Lyanna's son and JOn will suddenly know that Rhaegar was his dad!!! He'll just be confused as f**k. Might even think Robert Baratheon was his Dad.

The only other ways he would find out that he is a Targaryen would be Littflefinger, Varys or Sam finding out and telling him. But given that it's such a huge piece of the puzzle, there's every reason to expect that there will be some sort of flashback reveal that shows Bran who Jon's father is. Maybe the Tourney at Harrenhall, maybe some flash of the BAttle of the Trident, or maybe some secret meeting where Rhaegar meets Arthur Dayne is secret and hands Lyanna off to him. Any of the above would be equally cool.

There aren't many people in the Kingdom that don't know about Rhaegar and Lyanna (although they have the story slightly wrong), if Bran tells Jon that Lyanna is his mother and about the details of his birth, I think he could connect the dots by talking to just about anyone about it. Could be a use for Brans flashbacks, but I don't think it's a necessity.

I really don't care if we don't see anymore Bran flashbacks, although I'm sure we'll see one or 2 more. It's lazy exposition... and unnecessary for the most part.

Either way, Bran is heading south from the wall. He'll be the one to tell Jon about his heritage, and I would imagine it'll be early in the next season.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I really don't care if we don't see anymore Bran flashbacks, although I'm sure we'll see one or 2 more. It's lazy exposition... and unnecessary for the most part.

I don?t know about lazy, it also serves to show what Bran is capable of. The last flashback demonstrating that he has more control of what he is able to see.

Personally I found them entertaining.

saint.nick

Coach
I don't get how that works into the prophecy though. Jon wasn't born under the bleeding star. By the time Ned rested that sword against the bed, Jon was already born.

saint.nick

Coach
There aren't many people in the Kingdom that don't know about Rhaegar and Lyanna (although they have the story slightly wrong), if Bran tells Jon that Lyanna is his mother and about the details of his birth, I think he could connect the dots by talking to just about anyone about it. Could be a use for Brans flashbacks, but I don't think it's a necessity.

Either way, Bran is heading south from the wall. He'll be the one to tell Jon about his heritage, and I would imagine it'll be early in the next season.

No, lazy exposition is when writers decide, 'oh f**k it, just throw in a flashback'. Bran's flashbacks are completely part of his characterisation.

t-ba

Post Whore
I have no idea how many times I am going to have to watch episode ten before I tire of it.