What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game or Club?

Vee

First Grade
I've seen plenty here say over the years they would give up on RL if their team was excluded/merged/relocated.

I've always been a RL fan first and a fan of my club second. Don't get me wrong, I bleed the blue and the grey but if they were shelved, I'd still be a RL fan, I just wouldn't follow a club.

How do others feel?

I started this thread from the pov that I thought one of the main reasons AFL does better is they have more of a connection to the game above club despite their undoubted club passion. Probably lost my way a bit but self-interest holds back RL more than anything else imo.

Grail

Juniors
I think for anyone who is a club diehard, they'd disconnect with the game should their Club be taken from them. League is very tribal. Eventually they may be won back, but it would take varying time depending upon how the club was taken. Merged, probably not too long, excluded a lot longer.

I for one would lose a lot of interest in the game. I'd probably come back but with less investment and care, or I might start following Women's Competitive Pole Dancing.....
I might do that anyway.

T.S Quint

Coach
Nope, I'd lose all interest in the game if the Eels no longer existed.

I'd watch the odd game here and there, I'm sure, but for the most part I'd just ignore it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Game, I've had the pleasure of watching RL around the world from amateur to World Cup finals. Nothing beats the excitement and despair of watching your team you love win or lose but I can enjoy the game for what it is without it involving my team.

The_Shield

Juniors
I watch every game every week now, so I'd still probably follow the game. Don't think I'd follow it as closely tho if the Storm weren't involved and I'd probably switch my main sport to the NFL, which I'm really starting to get into now.

I don't see them as mutually exclusive in any way. If the Dragons were gone, the game would be dead to me but when it comes to issues of pragmatic strategic planning, Rugby League has my loyalty.

Danish

Referee
I would temporarily stop following league anywhere near as closely as I do now if the Roosters stopped existing. I'd still watch the occasional game during the season if I were home and tune in for origin and the finals, but that would be it for a while.

Eventually though there is no doubt I'd start quietly following one of the remaining teams more closely, and find myself back into it.

I mean lets be honest, the alternatives are to start following AFL, or surrender control of the TV during winter to the wife. Not a f**king chance of those things happening.

TheDalek079

Bench
Roosters for life!

Easts are the only reason I watch league. If they disappeared then so would my support of the NRL. I already like union, so would just follow Super Rugby more closely

_snafu_

Immortal
I watch a lot of games not involving the Dragons so I would probably continue to watch games, without any emotional investment.

I couldn't think of myself following any other team though.

carcharias

Immortal
I've seen plenty here say over the years they would give up on RL if their team was excluded/merged/relocated.

I've always been a RL fan first and a fan of my club second. Don't get me wrong, I bleed the blue and the grey but if they were shelved, I'd still be a RL fan, I just wouldn't follow a club.

How do others feel?

I started this thread from the pov that I thought one of the main reasons AFL does better is they have more of a connection to the game above club despite their undoubted club passion. Probably lost my way a bit but self-interest holds back RL more than anything else imo.
Who is the blue and grey?

justdave

Juniors
Sea Eagles first, game second. If anything happened to my club I couldn't watch NRL as I hate most other teams. I'd continue to follow RL by continuing to support and watch my home group side

Jason Maher

Immortal
I'll always be a Steelers fan at heart. If the Dragons were to fold and I lost what little remains of my club, I would cease to give most of the f**ks I continue to give. Manchester United and the Swans would get much more of my time.

mozza91

Coach
Club always. If the Knights got kicked out I wouldn't watch the NRL ever again, would likely shoot Todd Greenburg and support the Newcastle Rugby League more closely.

Clifferd

Coach
Tigers first, game 2nd.

If Tigers go then so do I.

I barely even watch the nrl anyway unless it's the Tigers and apart from the odd game that excites me as a neutral