What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game or Club?

Clifferd

Coach
Game of course . . . got to feel sorry for One-Eye's who can't find enjoyment every round every season

. . . then again, my best mate is one of those . . . for his sake, Go The Eels

Ehh

I support the game obviously, I mean if our favourite team runs around in the comp wouldn't we all?

from my perspective and to others that relate, we dedicate our money and time to travelling to go see our team play. For one of our clubs to just get booted or relocated to a completely different location is shown as a "f**k you" from the nrl to me.

I see it as betrayal, hence why I'd probably lose interest. Not because I'm one eyed.

If it was from a financial point of view where my team simply isn't viable in the nrl I'd understand. Life goes on.

But if the nrl was just like "well this team looks like it'd fit in well a thousand kms west, here's your nrl team Perth" then I'd be pissed

gallagher

Juniors
Game first.
I grew up at Lidcombe Oval watching the magpies and I don't think I have any less passion for the Tigers now.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hard to say.
Can I fence sit?
If Roosters were booted my financial support of the NRL would end, I doubt I'd pick a new team but I'd still watch and wouldn't lose interest in the game.

But there are countless issues in which selfish clubs and fans put short term wins over the long term health of the game, and I'll call out my club whenever they do it.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I would like to ask a question to those that support the club first and then the game. Would your support for the NRL remain if your club still existed but was relegated to NSW Cup? You are still able to see them play every week and probably at a more traditional suburban ground but would you still watch and love the NRL without that team in it?

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I would like to ask a question to those that support the club first and then the game. Would your support for the NRL remain if your club still existed but was relegated to NSW Cup? You are still able to see them play every week and probably at a more traditional suburban ground but would you still watch and love the NRL without that team in it?

Plenty of people support clubs and don't live in the city they play in.

So...yeah, nah.

SBD82

Coach
The Roosters have far more supporters that can't get to games than can. Dogs, Rabbitohs, Eels, Seagles too have many supporters who have deserted the Sydney shithole
Dragons too. Next time the dragons plays the broncos or titans in qld have a glance at the crowd. Always plenty of red and white there.

Our away support in QLD is very impressive. I don't imagine a large proportion of those fellas are traveling up for the game.

siv

First Grade

Wonder what 80,000 people on the Town Hall who marched felt about the NRL when that exactly happened

rupertpupkin

Juniors

Just pointing out that The NRL is not the game.

kdalymc

Bench
You have to be some sort of f**k wit if you stop watching rugby league if your team got the boota

no name

Coach
Just pointing out that The NRL is not the game.
Definitely agree on this point. NRL is not rugby league in my eyes. They do lots of things that don't happen in any other level of rugby league.

As for the original question, the game for me.
I was a Magpie supporter and spent years not knowing who I was going for and copped plenty of shit for changing clubs etc. but I still watched every game I possibly could.
I don't think the passion for the Titans is as strong as it was for the Magpies.

Game first as I want the code to succeed and grow as as club first is 'heartland' mentality and those who are club first should be filling out there beloved surburban grounds at there home grounds if there club first. Clubs have shown self interest and short sightness in long as a result the code is standing still because of clubs wanting the lions share and still be incompetent.

Last edited:

Vee

First Grade
Someone thought the game first mentality would be higher in regional areas.

A couple of reasons, less likely to lose their club, a fair percentage would have old allegiances they could go back to and there's probably not the same sense of entitlement born of long years in the comp.

Flame on.

POPEYE

Coach
The world's full of people who worship club before game, they usually meet on Sundays and pass around a plate or ride around on shitbox 4x4s dressed in black brandishing weapons . . . we who follow Rugby League The Game don't need to imagine anything