What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gareth Widdop Appreciation

watatank

Coach
All I know is, we've been a team devoid of creativity for a number of years. We've relied on Widdop for the last 4 years, and granted he's been up and down during that time. Duges has not provided any play making from FB, and Widdop's halves partners during his tenure (Williams, Marshall, McCrone) have hardly been inspiring. For the first time, has a legitimate halves partner in Ben Hunt so he won't be solely responsible for the team's attack (much like his role n Melb).

He may not be in the upper echelon of halves, but seeing Josh Reynolds got an 800k per year contract for the Tigers, I'd take Widdop every day of the week if that's the going rate for 5/8's.

Come on, it's the Tigers. They aren't exactly in a position of strength.

I still think Widdop is being given an easy out. He may not have had the best halves partners to help him but he also doesn't seem to be helpful to the other half either. He has a tendency to just sit back and let things come to him on the left instead of trying to take over. We have complained about McCrone for who knows how long, maybe if Widdop took on more then this wouldn't be such a big deal.

As for his halves partners, Marshall was fine. He still made plays and actually had more try assists and line break assists than Widdop in the two full seasons they played together. It wasn't all just Widdop. I actually think Widdop's lack of creativity contributed to the lack of creativity in the team overall.

Life's Good

Coach
Widdop is one of our highest paid players and our captain. Regardless of his halves partner, the weather, the size of the crowd, what mood he is in on game day etc. the expectation is that he wins us games or at the very least has enough influence to get us/keep us in a winning position. To often that hasn't happened which isn't good enough. I'm not calling for him to be sacked or let go just saying he needs to lift and take the team with him, plain and simple.

giboz71

First Grade
Widdop is one of our highest paid players and our captain. Regardless of his halves partner, the weather, the size of the crowd, what mood he is in on game day etc. the expectation is that he wins us games or at the very least has enough influence to get us/keep us in a winning position. To often that hasn't happened which isn't good enough. I'm not calling for him to be sacked or let go just saying he needs to lift and take the team with him, plain and simple.

I agree we need more from him. My take on his contract extension is that we seemed to set aside enough cap money to keep one of Duges and Widdop. Both were on elite money and both had flaws in their game. Both needed to take some heat for our lack of success over the last 3-4 years as our marquis and highest paid players.

At the end of last year, I advocated the entire spine be shown the door given our horrible attack from 2016. Rein and Benji were let go and rightly so (and have been replaced by McInnes and Hunt).

Widdop's early season form cemented his extension and I've always believed halves are harder to replace than fullbacks. The only other 5/8 available was Josh f##king Reynolds so I'm glad we took Widdop as we would have likely ended up with Reynolds as I'm sure Widdop was the Tigers first choice.

Life's Good

Coach
I agree we need more from him. My take on his contract extension is that we seemed to set aside enough cap money to keep one of Duges and Widdop. Both were on elite money and both had flaws in their game. Both needed to take some heat for our lack of success over the last 3-4 years as our marquis and highest paid players.

At the end of last year, I advocated the entire spine be shown the door given our horrible attack from 2016. Rein and Benji were let go and rightly so (and have been replaced by McInnes and Hunt).

Widdop's early season form cemented his extension and I've always believed halves are harder to replace than fullbacks. The only other 5/8 available was Josh f##king Reynolds so I'm glad we took Widdop as we would have likely ended up with Reynolds as I'm sure Widdop was the Tigers first choice.
I just think these high paid players should transcend the coach, on field, when needed. Putting aside the coaching credentials of Mary there have been plenty of times where Widdop could have grabbed a game by the balls(and also his own teammates)and led us to a win by dictating the play(Smith, Thurston, Norman etc. do it). That's the expectation as a marquee player.

FlameThrower

Bench
Wow Widdop was great today- fingers crossed his confidence is back along with the team as a whole. This win is worth more than 2 points IMO...there's a psychological boost and also shows that with some last minute changes we were still solid today.

Bench
I don't remember our team scoring a try from deep in our territory. We now have that with Dufty'

giboz71

First Grade
Over the past few weeks. We've suffered as teams have compressed their defences to nullify our forwards and Widdop has been mercilessly targeted (as we have zero attacking alternatives).

Dufty proved his value in the first 10-15 mins with his speed, high involvement and his probing runs. Worked a treat as Manly had had to spread wider opening up the middle. And Dufty proved another viable attacking option freeing up space for Widdop. Lo and behold, Widdop had one of those A games with tries, try assists goal kicking etc.

As I've kept saying as nauseum, give Widdop a bit of help and he will be gold for us.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Widdop now seems to be over that knee injury . The difference with him started last week with him playing more direct again and digging into the line . When he does this it creates space on the left for Thommo / Host and for Lafai . With Dufty sweeping around and his ball playing ability our left edge could be lethal