What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gasnier to stay - Dragons Say No to Release

Anonymous

Juniors
The St George Illawarra Dragons today announced that they were not prepared to release Origin centre Mark Gasnier from his current contract with the Club, which expires at the end of the 2006 season.

Gasnier, 23, has been the subject of speculation that he would seek a release from his Dragons contract to accept a lucrative offer to join English Club Wigan.

Dragons Chief Executive Officer Peter Doust today said the Club had advised Gasnier and his management that such a release would not be granted, ensuring the popular centre will stay with the Dragons for at least the next two years following this season.

“We have had discussions with Mark’s management concerning a possible release but in the end we could not adequately resolve the details such as a date of return,” said Doust.

“It’s a complex issue but I certainly never wanted him to go anywhere and, quite frankly, why would you. Mark is an outstanding talent, a key member of our team and he will be fundamental in our plans for future success.

“Notwithstanding this, I took a lot of time to consider his point of view but in the end we have made a decision that Mark accepts and understands.”

Gasnier, currently sidelined with a broken collar bone suffered in the deciding Origin match earlier this month, said he is pleased the issue has been resolved.

“I totally understand the Club’s position and they are well within their rights to make the decision they have,” said Gasnier.

“I have had some things to consider over recent months but I am pleased that the speculation over my playing future has now been settled.

“I just want to get on with it now and play some good football for the Dragons. My immediate priority is to get my shoulder right and get back on the field to help my team-mates achieve this season.”
- Dragons media release.

There will be announcement today at 12:30pm, on the steps at St George League Club

weasel

First Grade
Good news. I know there was some divided opinion on whether we should have let him go or not but he's one of my favourite players so I for one am very pleased.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I can think of another high profile 'off in his own world' centre who was denied a release earlier this year. His name is Justin Hodges. For your sake let's hope Gaz shows abit more long term commitment to his contract than cry baby Hodgo.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Tommy Smith said:
I can think of another high profile 'off in his own world' centre who was denied a release earlier this year. His name is Justin Hodges. For your sake let's hope Gaz shows abit more long term commitment to his contract than cry baby Hodgo.

Tommy, I don't think Hodges is in the same class on the field as Gaz. Off it, Mark isn't in Hodges class as a head-case...

Cheers,
Ben S.

chooky

Juniors
Funny how in the interviews Gaz says he is staying and doing it for his club and team mates, but the club said no to a release so what does that tell you? He obviously wanted to leave, the club says no, so he tells the media he is staying because he doesn’t want to let down his team mates! :roll

grouch

First Grade
Well done to Peter Doust and the board for showing some leadership on this one. Essentially, they have made the decision for Mark, instead of leaving it to him to make the wrong one. Wigan may have seemed the right option for Mark, but Doust knew it wasn't. The fishbowl is the same there as it is here - worse even, as Gaz would be the marquee player for the marquee club. I think the club has been 'the nice guy' on these matters in recent years, but Doust saw that in this instance, they had to be cruel to be kind. This is the best result for all involved, particularly Gaz.

Anonymous

Juniors
chooky, is there a reason why you're hosting one of my image files on another server?
A polite ask wouldn't have gone astray.

chooky

Juniors
sir willow,Didn't know it was yours, i'm sure I would have asked you if I did. I searched for the pic, found it, found a pic hosting website and used it. Simple. Did you ask the sydney morning herald the same question?

good to hear you agreed with my last post

chooky

Juniors
lets not turn this into an arguement now, this thread is about Gasnier staying at the dragons because he wanted to. Nothing to do with me and you. :roll:

Anonymous

Juniors
What's giving me the shits is your know-all comments. You were the same the mods and admin forum.
FYI Einstein. That's a video capture and was in circulation BEFORE the SMH picked up the story.
You've done your dash sunshine.

chooky

Juniors
what ever willow, I was contributing to a thread in a non harsh way, and I get belted for my sig...

Jamesy

Juniors
Righto guys. Thats enough. Like chooky said, this thread was about Gaz staying at the Dragons. I'm personally glad he's staying and I hope he continues his good form and doesn't play bad in spite of the dragons management.

FINAL SERIES 2004 HERE WE COME.