What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GC City Council - They serious??

Dakink

Bench
I know Clarke has an AFL background but you would thin he would want to look after local business before pandering to an interstare interest that may or maynot become full time years down the track.

Get off our turf!
SELINA STEELE
23jul06

THE Gold Coast Titans have threatened to transfer their home games to Brisbane next season after a falling out with the Gold Coast City Council over the shared use of Carrara Stadium.

Titans CEO Michael Searle said the club had already held informal discussions with Suncorp Stadium officials about playing 12 home games in Brisbane in their debut NRL season.

Central to the dispute is the use of Carrara as both an NRL and AFL venue. While their Robina stadium is being built, the Titans are scheduled to play at Carrara – and this week, the AFL's Kangaroos announced they would also play 10 games at the Gold Coast stadium for the next three seasons.

The Titans believe Mayor Ron Clarke and the Gold Coast City Council have broken a contractual agreement in regards to the stadium's reconfiguration.

The Titans believed temporary grandstands would boost the ground's capacity to 20,000 and transform Carrara into a rectangular stadium. But the AFL has since lobbied the council to keep the current oval shape.

"Going to Suncorp is an option – we've already spoken to them," Searle said.

"Unless a solution can be reached, Ron Clarke is going to have every rugby league fan on the Gold Coast asking 'why has our team been forced to Brisbane?'

"If we lose 3000 in temporary seating, we're down to 17,000. Apparently, the proposal currently on the table will reduce capacity further.

"We can't be playing at a stadium that houses 14,000 fans. It's ludicrous the council is supporting an interstate business over a local business."

Searle, who will wait "eight to 10 weeks" before making a final decision, has sent a letter to the council outlining the Titans' position.

There is also concern the playing surface could become over-used with the Titans, Kangaroos and local soccer games all scheduled for the venue next year. "Carrara is supposed to be a multi-purpose venue," Searle said.

"I want to make it clear I'm excited for Kangaroos fans in south-east Queensland, it's great they can come and watch their games.

"I've always said the Gold Coast is big enough to host two codes. But I have difficulty with the Gold Coast City Council reneging on an agreement with the NRL and us. By not allowing us the seating, they are going to lock out 3000 fans.

"That's 36,000 fans over 12 games and there's no doubt this is going to be critical to us and our fan base in 2007."

Clarke, whose brother Jack was a premiership captain with VFL side Essendon, said the council would not shift on the issue of temporary grandstands.

"We've spent three million and the AFL has spent a million on Carrara's ground surface. That would be money down the drain if we allowed temporary seating on the actual ground," he said.

"The Titans knew they were going to play there for a year and they knew they were playing on an AFL ground. We wanted to protect Carrara, which is why we're spending $20 million on another another (stadium) for rugby league at Robina."

Clarke said there was no contractual agreement between the council and Titans for temporary seating to be built on the ground surface.

Kangaroos chairman Graham Duff was oblivious to the turf wars between the Titans and council, but said Roo officials would meet with the Titans soon.

"I think both codes can exist side-by-side.

"But obviously our interest is in the surface being maintained to AFL standards," Duff said. "That's something we'll sit down and discuss with the Titans."

The Sunday Mail

If the Council wants to look after the Roos instead of the local club in the Titans then I think for the club financially they will be better off taking up Suncorp for a year. They could also ask the NRL to schedule some home games away - Like Parra do with the Warriors.

Hindyscrack

Bench
I don't think it is the council Dakink, more Ron Clarke... He has openly stated in the press that if/and when he is voted out of local government there will probably be no one to support the AFL at a local level.

It's a god damn disgrace that one man can have so much power... Piss off back to victoria Clarke...

Eelectrica

Referee
It will be a bargaining chip.
Essentially they are saying to Clarke, you can have a team playing 12 games there, potentially drawing 20000 per game or have the Kangaroos play 3-4 games, drawing 5000 per game if they are lucky.

Knowing Clarke after doing the math he'll come up with the Kangaroos playing there is better :crazy:

Timbo

Staff member
Is Suncorp the only option if Cararra is unavailable?

Sorry I have no idea of Brisbane/Gold Coast geography, but what about Ballymore or ANZ? Would they be less or more accessable from the Gold Coast?

Kingytek

Juniors
Actually, ANZ is south of Brisbane. Its near Mt Gravatt.
Ballymore is just 10 mins north of the city

Timbo

Staff member
So....would either of them be more accessable to the residents of the GC?

Goddamit I hate the AFL!!

running deliberate interference to the Titans with the Kangaroos who simply whore themselves around to the highest bidder.

This clarke is a deadset AFL stooge and should be thrown out of office. Hardly representing the interests of the area.

wanker!

death to afl! :x

What a jerk Ron Clarke is.

Anyway I reckon playing some games at Suncorp might be a great idea. The Titans will sell out a lot of games next year in the 17,000 capacity Carrara which is not the best stadium either. If they played in Brisbane they'd get bigger crowds at least for the first handful of games. A lot of Brisbane people (and Ipswich, Sunny Coast etc) would go along to see the GC in their first few games I'm sure. Even if the first game wasn't against the Broncos (which by the way is a terrible idea by the NRL) they'd probably go close to filling Lang Park. The only downside about playing in Brissy is that it is a bit of a trip for Gold Coast people and the whole point of the Titans was to give GC people a team to follow.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
pennywisealfie said:
ANZ is accessable to noone lol

Yes and No.

Rail could be used to get commuters to Banoon on the Beenleigh line pretty easily. Bus could then move the remaining distance. It's not great, and it's sh*t ground though.

This bloke is a serious w@nker. I thought he had an obligation to put the best interests of the people before his own personal preferences. Haven't the Gold Coast had some serious tools in council over the years. It's truely amazing the place has developed as well as it has.

Latest posts