What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Geelong Cup

Nuffs

Bench
MR CELEBRITY scaratched after the race :shock:

reduces my payout...damn!

well surely the MRC or whoever must put this horse in the Melb Cup. with a fair start it would win looking at finishing margins. although anything could have happened in the race

but i bet Gai is at boiling point

Foz

Bench
Nuffs said:
MR CELEBRITY scaratched after the race :shock:

reduces my payout...damn!

well surely the MRC or whoever must put this horse in the Melb Cup. with a fair start it would win looking at finishing margins. although anything could have happened in the race

but i bet Gai is at boiling point

I dont know that winning the Geelong Cup would get Mr Celebrity in the field for the Melbourne Cup.
I think it would of run in the Saab anyway.
You'd think if it runs well in the Saab the VRC will throw him in the cup.
Was it last year they threw Free at Last out and threw in Another Warrior (who ran pretty well in the Moonee Valley Cup)?

The way the horses are disintegrating it mightnt matter.
They'll be lucky to get 24 starters this year.

Nuffs

Bench
he would have received a 2/2.5kg penalty for winning today which would put him into 33rd-39th. equal with leica falcon. he'd almost be certain a start because of, as you said, all of the horses dropping out

it is lucky that the stable would run him anyway in the SAAB to get some fitness into his legs but if they didn't want to run in the SAAB then he's stuffed

i'll have to watch the race tonight as i've only listened to it on the radio

Macca_

Coach
He only gets in if he wins the SAAB. He still hasn't passed the ballot clause and sits 60 odd on the order of entry. I'd be hoping they don't throw it in if it doesn't win the SAAB. Can make a case for a number of runners who may just miss out.

Good tip stormer.

Not a good form race for mine. Bunch of 5 hit the line together and 2 or 3 were right on there tail. Mr Celebrity missed it by 4-5. He's the only one to follow.

One of those runs for Envoy. Got back on the rail and never got a clear run. Finished 6th or 7th just behind the winner (bout 1.5len). Back Gallant Guru into Envoy (all up for win). Bugger it.

Nuffs

Bench
Macca_ said:
He only gets in if he wins the SAAB. He still hasn't passed the ballot clause and sits 60 odd on the order of entry. I'd be hoping they don't throw it in if it doesn't win the SAAB. Can make a case for a number of runners who may just miss out.

but he would have passed the ballot clause if he wins today. that's my point.
if he doesn't miss the start, he SHOULD win. therefore passing the ballot clause and getting a penalty to move him to 33rd in OOE. that's without taking a few horses out as they aren't officially out yet

i'm just curious as to how the connections of a horse, that put in a run that the commentator said was "the best thing beaten of all time" (exaggeration noted), will be penalised because their horse was denied a fair start, and therefore a chance at winning

that's my only problem. but anyway, they'll get their chance in the SAAB and we'll all be able to see how good/bad it goes. does any place in the SAAB pass the balloting clause? he'd still need a miracle if he doesn't get exempt or penalised

Foz

Bench
They changed the exemption clause on the Saab this year.
It use to be the first 2 got in the cup but now its only the winner.

Tim Brasher

Juniors
On a Jeune is a good horse.. I got on after Sarrera was scratched.. Backed it and Men at Work each way. Had a pretty decent day with Gallant Guru winning as well

I think the Geelong Cup has had sh*thouse form leading upto the Melbourne Cup since Media Puzzle winning the Geelong- Melbourne Cup double back in 2003

Macca_

Coach
Nuffs said:
but he would have passed the ballot clause if he wins today. that's my point. if he doesn't miss the start, he SHOULD win. therefore passing the ballot clause and getting a penalty to move him to 33rd in OOE. that's without taking a few horses out as they aren't officially out yet
Yep, I understand that. But he didn't :D I think you may have said it too, he wasn't assured a win if he got away with them... He may have got caught up on the rails etc, who knows.
Nuffs said:
i'm just curious as to how the connections of a horse, that put in a run that the commentator said was "the best thing beaten of all time" (exaggeration noted), will be penalised because their horse was denied a fair start, and therefore a chance at winning
I look at it from the other angle. If you want to get your horse in the Melbourne Cup, get it qualified and get it high enough on the order of entry. If you leave it to chance and require a win etc in the start before the cup, then that's racing if you miss out. You don't get in, bad luck :D
Nuffs said:
that's my only problem. but anyway, they'll get their chance in the SAAB and we'll all be able to see how good/bad it goes. does any place in the SAAB pass the balloting clause? he'd still need a miracle if he doesn't get exempt or penalised
Needs to win. But on todays run, and if it's a live chance in the Melbourne Cup it will do that. If not, aim for it next year.

Anyway, it's Gai in Melbourne... Couldn't really expect it to all go well :lol:

Macca_

Coach
chemicalbrother said:
I think the Geelong Cup has had sh*thouse form leading upto the Melbourne Cup since Media Puzzle winning the Geelong- Melbourne Cup double back in 2003
Apart from Media Puzzle it has been poor for some time. And he was one out of the box. You couldn't get enough on him after that win and the time he did it in. That was one of the easiest Melbourne Cup winners to nail. I don't think any of that lot today are even close to it. Mr C the exception.

Nuffs

Bench
Macca_ said:
Anyway, it's Gai in Melbourne... Couldn't really expect it to all go well :lol:

i said we're not allowed to mention that in here ever again

it's the only problem with my oaks tip

i learned my gai-melbourne lesson last year. loved grand armee going into the mackinnon but didn't take it purely because of the "curse". i was cursing when it was winning by 4