What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Pomoz

Bench
Yep, age.s we need some more grunt in the engine room. I was proud of the fact that RCG made a visible difference, not because he runs any harder than Klemmer, but because he rips in and tries to make an impact with his tackles. Other players started to lift when he did that.

But, we may need to think of a different option for Vaughn. Somebody who is angry and scary. Ryan James, come on down.

Pomoz

Bench
Maloney got a 9/10 for his performance.

He was strong. But f**k me throwing an intercept pass for a try that turns momentum for 15+ minutes. Throwing a forward pass that then swings momentun for a try.... those 2 errors alone are too much for a 9/10 game.
Don't be daft. A forward pass did not cause the try. Piss poor defence caused the try.

Lets put it another way, no Maloney, NSW lose.

kinghippo

Juniors
Cleary did everything he needed to for a first origin and did well through the middle of the game when the NSW forwards were not winning the battles. He and Maloney both copped some heavy shots and did a decent job with their kicks considering they had no room at all.
RCG Klemmer and JDB provided all the aggression and probably shouldn’t all be off at once.
I know the team won’t change after a win but I still think they need another prop, Tariq Sims or Merrin would of added more than Crichton off the bench.

mxlegend99

Referee
Don't be daft. A forward pass did not cause the try. Piss poor defence caused the try.

Lets put it another way, no Maloney, NSW lose.
Where did I say we win without him?

He made a few huge mistakes that either directly cost us or swung momentum and cost us.

9/10 is nearly flawless and he had several mistakes tonight thay make that rating a joke. He was crucial to winning. But he had a lot of flaws too

Pomoz

Bench
Cleary did everything he needed to for a first origin and did well through the middle of the game when the NSW forwards were not winning the battles. He and Maloney both copped some heavy shots and did a decent job with their kicks considering they had no room at all.
RCG Klemmer and JDB provided all the aggression and probably shouldn’t all be off at once.
I know the team won’t change after a win but I still think they need another prop, Tariq Sims or Merrin would of added more than Crichton off the bench.
Yeah, we need some aggro. James and Sims would really help.

Abacus

Juniors
Maloney was the worst on ground... and the best. So many all or nothing plays that literally were both grest and horrible.

Gus nailed it with the memory thing. Clesry looked like he was happy to play safe footy. Maloney just didnt give a f**k. He treated it like a trial game nearly.

But Maloney has a 100% win rate in Origin when he has a Panthers player in ghe hslves win him.

1/1 with Moylan
1/1 with Cleary
Absolute trash when paired with Pearce.
The only bit I disagee with is your assessment of Maloney's attitude. I think he was there to win - fire his shots so he'd have no what-ifs later.

Yep a couple went against him, but no other half looked like they wanted to boss the game. I like that he'll keep rolling the dice for the win rather than waiting for a teammate to step up.

betcats

Referee
Wasn't Maloneys best game but for both of his big errors the idea was right, the intercept doesn't happen and we score easily, and the forward pass before Gagais try was to put Latrell in a bit of space,

franklin2323

Immortal
Wasn't Maloneys best game but for both of his big errors the idea was right, the intercept doesn't happen and we score easily, and the forward pass before Gagais try was to put Latrell in a bit of space,

NSW don't win if he doesn't play so you allow errors in those cases

YoungPanther

Juniors
Agreed Maloney's pass changed the momentum but in hindsight I think it was good for us.

As was mentioned in the commentary, certain that if the same play eventuates in Game 2, Maloney will be looking to kick in behind Val. It was intimated that Val knew what was coming from their time at Cronulla, so I am pretty certain Maloney won't be caught out twice.

Concur that we do need a bit more mongrel. Maybe they need to add another one of the "Young" lads to the pack with De Belin and Chrichton. Shame Mclean is injured. Would push for Jack but probably a tad to soon. Yes, this is all tongue in cheek, but the local lads are doing very well.

martielang

Bench
I don't think we need any changes tbh. It's Origin, with two teams full of great players momentum is going swing from time to time & there's not a hell of a lot you can do but stick in it for those 10 - 15 mins. Vaughan came on at a point where Qld had just got the ascendancy. I thought he held his own.

I also think Ryan James is hugely overrated. Played one great season a couple of years back & has been stock standard since.

I still don't understand why/how Yeo wasn't in the conversation though. If the 2 halves are from the same club, surely you pick a form back rower who runs off them every week? Their combination would be invaluable. I thought Cordner did well & definitely got stuck in, but he played a pretty basic 'hard working' back rower role last night. Surely you're not picking him to do that.

betcats

Referee
I don't think we need any changes tbh. It's Origin, with two teams full of great players momentum is going swing from time to time & there's not a hell of a lot you can do but stick in it for those 10 - 15 mins. Vaughan came on at a point where Qld had just got the ascendancy. I thought he held his own.

I also think Ryan James is hugely overrated. Played one great season a couple of years back & has been stock standard since.

I still don't understand why/how Yeo wasn't in the conversation though. If the 2 halves are from the same club, surely you pick a form back rower who runs off them every week? Their combination would be invaluable. I thought Cordner did well & definitely got stuck in, but he played a pretty basic 'hard working' back rower role last night. Surely you're not picking him to do that.

That's all he is capable off really. Strong runs and tackles is the best you will get out of him. Its criminal Yeo isn't even in the conversation, id have Sims and Yeo over Crichton and Boyd easily.

mxlegend99

Referee
Our spine aside from Cleary were epic. Tedesco was a f**king stud. Deserving MOTM. No way we win without his huge plays. Maloney had a mixed bag but obviously was crucial in all our tries. Cook had a few big moments that helped create those opportunities.

Cleary was solid. Thry targeted him on both sides of the ball and he didnt let the team down. But he didnt step up either. The guy is a defensive beast though and once he settles in to Origin footy will be awesome. He needs a bit more room when kicking though. Nearly every kick was as he was being hit. Makes it harder to nail them.

franklin2323

Immortal

Nothing wrong with they did. Just we lost the aggression when JDB and RCG went off. A slight change to get them on at different times with the added big hitting of Sims is a better team. I don't expect changes that said

mxlegend99

Referee
I think all the rookies deserve to last the series. On debut none of them let us down. They were under a lot of pressure in an inexperienced side and I think it will be a few games before we see them show what they're capable of... or not improve and realise this level is beyond their capabilities.

I think Peachey got hard done by. I guess he was literally picked only as injury cover. I it wasnt needed so he got a token 10 minute run. Although Fittler could have easily not used him at all.