What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General weights discussion thread

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I just drop my total weight when lifting at a deficit. I get niggling injuries particularly in my triceps if I don't drop the weight.

shaggs

Coach
I just drop my total weight when lifting at a deficit. I get niggling injuries particularly in my triceps if I don't drop the weight.

Absolutely this.

I've dropped from 4000 to 3500 per day. My lifts are still pretty good and the weights are stating about the same, but I can't recover and fell sore all over.

Thomas

First Grade
Yeah, I've dropped the volume and I'm feeling good. Some mornings I actually feel really strong. I'm keeping the protein up though.

3500 calories. God, I wish. My TDEE is about 2200 so I'm cutting 400 or so off that on rest days and eating at maintenance on workout days. Today is a rest day, dammit.

shaggs

Coach
Always had a high metabolism and burn it off straight away.
Meeting with a coach tomorrow to sort out my program and cals.
Worked out my calculated maintenance to be around 2800, but find I drop weight at anything under 3300.

Having a dexa body comp done at measureup in sydney tomorrow. Will get an accurate body fat, RMR, bone density etc.

My problem might be the quality of cals I eat. See what I find out tomorrow.

Thomas

First Grade
Always had a high metabolism and burn it off straight away.
Meeting with a coach tomorrow to sort out my program and cals.
Worked out my calculated maintenance to be around 2800, but find I drop weight at anything under 3300.

Having a dexa body comp done at measureup in sydney tomorrow. Will get an accurate body fat, RMR, bone density etc.

My problem might be the quality of cals I eat. See what I find out tomorrow.

Yeah, I used to be like that. Then suddenly I turned 39 and had a desk job. My issues is grog. When I cut that out, I shed weight.

shaggs

Coach
I've had 3 massive benders this year. Pretty much the only time I drank beer. Don't have the taste for it.

My problem now is maccas. Easily down a whole family meal deal and sundae. Drinks and all. Not bad for 86kg.

DeeJ

Bench
Hey peeps,

So I wanna start doing clean and press, it's probably the only core compound exercise that I don't do.

I've read people say that you shouldn't do it without professional training, just wanted to know what everyone thinks? I've taught myself (with plenty of reading and instructional videos) to squat and deadlift over the past 2 years, I figure it would be a similar process learning the clean and press.

Doesn't seem overly difficult, this video seems to sum it up pretty well - http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/clean-and-press

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated

Yeah the clean is a great exercise for generating power, however because it is so complex and technical you won't be getting the results out of it compared if you did some other exercises that target glute/hams and traps in an explosive manner.

Also, I would seperate the clean and press, I don't think there's any benefit to do both exercises together unless you are doing some crossfit stuff.

You could also substitute cleans with power shrugs and power upright rows. These are simpler exercises but are actually learning tools on the way to performing a clean.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Looking for advice for a shoulder substitute.

I have dislocated my left shoulder over 40 times, and have had reconstructive surgery on it.

As a result I cannot supplinate my shoulder square of my torso. My right arm can stick out 90 degrees, but my left (of the operation) can only swing out around 70 degrees, the tightness is part and parcel of the reconstruction.

Thus I cannot get proper form with an overhead barbell press.

I try to compensate with lateral and forward dumbbell raises, and I ensure bent-over barbell rows and heavy dumbbells rows are part of every session. Also I do 6 sets of resistance bands on each shoulder as part of my warm up. Also thinking to add lat pull downs when I add it to my gear at home.

I have subluxated my troublesome shoulder once when doing a bent over rear deltoid raise and am now cautious.

However I think I am deficit in my rear delts. I have considered dumbbell overhead presses with elbows out forward and palms facing each other... but am asking if anyone can offers ideas I haven't.

RHCP

Bench
That sucks mate. How would a heavy dumbbell swing go? I've never used them much myself but I've seen plenty of others who absolutely swear by them.

Basically, you set yourself up on an angled bench and 'swing' the weights for high partial reps. Looks weird but like I said, I've seen so many people who are in love with them I thought they were worth recommending.

[youtube]HxFs72mYYsM[/youtube]

If the swinging doesn't work, I've done rows (elbows tight to the body, palms facing) from a slightly less angled bench set-up and they felt alright.

Can you do face pulls? They're a quality exercise.

shaggs

Coach
I highly recommend face pulls. Google poliquin face pulls for correct technique.

Maybe try a modified version of an Arnold press. That lack of external rotation might be ok there.

Or I trained with my wife yesterday and she showed me a few new shoulder exercises. An incline rear delt dbell fly. Don't go out laterally to your body, raise your arms at a 45 degree angle in front of you, with your thumbs down. As a last exercise I was feeling the burn, without using a weight.

Also machine shoulder press with a supinate grip gives me a good shoulder hit.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Well looked at those, the swing isn't much diffeent to a rear deltoid dumbbell raise, and the extended action of the face pull is where my shoulder is most vulnerable.

Though my reference linked me to a cable rear-deltoid row... and I can do that off my lat pull machine I'm going to build.

Looking at another reference, how much rear delt work does barbell levers do?

IFR33K

Coach
Didn't want to start up a new thread, so I'll ask here.

Been training consistantly for two years now. I am 35 yo, and last trained when I was 21. Should I expect to be stronger now at 35 or when I was younger.

Thx in advance.

innsaneink

Referee
Well, im 50 and have been training for nearly a year....and im sure im stronger than the 30 years plus I lifted nothing more than a schooner or stubbie

I imagine the older you get the longer it takes to achieve a certain strength...tho im just assuming

Big_nick

Juniors
Well looked at those, the swing isn't much diffeent to a rear deltoid dumbbell raise, and the extended action of the face pull is where my shoulder is most vulnerable.

Though my reference linked me to a cable rear-deltoid row... and I can do that off my lat pull machine I'm going to build.

Looking at another reference, how much rear delt work does barbell levers do?

I know this was from last year but i was just reading through and thought I would add a couple of cents. The "face pull" is one thing to help your shoulder sublux again (shoulder abducted to 90 and externally rotating shoulder will help it pop out). And your reference is correct, simply doing a high-row will target your posterior delts.. Main question is why you would want to develop your posterior delt? if body building then understandable, otherwise the post delt supplements many other shoulder extension exercises and therefore not necessary to specifically train..
Hope you havent subluxed again. Shoulders are a bitch of an injury.
..and again I dont understand why people come to a footy forum for what you essentially need professional advice for.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
The "face pull" is one thing to help your shoulder sublux again (shoulder abducted to 90 and externally rotating shoulder will help it pop out). And your reference is correct, simply doing a high-row will target your posterior delts.. Main question is why you would want to develop your posterior delt?

if body building then understandable, otherwise the post delt supplements many other shoulder extension exercises and therefore not necessary to specifically train..

because my biomechanics are out, rear delt on the shoulder afllicted.

Now as you said it's nearly a year ago, and my treatment since has been to do a resistance band routine on both shoulders as part of my warm up.

Standing forward shoulder press, standing shoulder rotation
External cuff rotation, internal cuff rotation
Lateral shoulder raise, standing lateral fly.

I now know (with hindsight, but confirmed my suspicion) when I tighten my rear delt, it has a greater tendency to hold my shoulder in place.

Numerous anterior dislocations have left a bankart lesion which has the humeral head slip through.

Not by itself, but when i fielded the question, I knew my rear delt at the time need more focus that my other shoulder segments.

I need to play catch up.

Hope you havent subluxed again. Shoulders are a bitch of an injury.

Two reflexive hyper-extensions, that's abou tit.

..and again I dont understand why people come to a footy forum for what you essentially need professional advice for.

Because I would suspect many others on a footy forum would have shoulder issues.

I vaguely remember my past rehab, I just had a blank spots re: rear delts, I just needed confirmation.

I knew which advice to disregard, i.e. face pulls

As I said, I've had rehab before, I've subluxed/dislocated it over 40 times, and had one stabilisation op 7 years ago

Latest posts