What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General World Cup Chat

Danish

Referee
Have to say that was a f**king boring match. Neither team seemed interested in taking any risks at all.

Hopefully Germany forces a game out of Argentina in the final.

hellteam

First Grade
Pretty average game but happy that Argentina won. Would be good if Di Maria and Aguero are fit for final

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
who was it that said penalty shoot outs dont favour the keepers ?

I've dont think I've seen a tournament where keepers have decided so many outcomes

Big Sam

First Grade
Can't say the either team deserved to win so to speak but the Dutch deserved to lose more.

Not sure if it was fatigue or tactics but they were well off.

abpanther

Staff member
Unbelievable, I'm at Cheers pub, this place is going off

What suspense but we did it, Vamos Argentina!

abpanther

Staff member
How did we not deserve to win, did people not see that perfectly legitimate goal disallowed?

hahah yeah i thought it went in as well when I first saw it.

Martin Tyler is a shit commentator. Give me Gary Bloom any day.

Noa

First Grade
on the whole argentina deserved to go through. they stayed true to there identity at least.

look forward to seeing holland under hiddink, theyll play more posession football and. de vrij, classie, fer, memphis, kangola will be better for the experience. theres some top class youngsters coming through as well

Danish

Referee
If you watch the game from SBS website you get a different commentator, the main EPL guy, who is way better.

Thats how I watch the games. The difference in quality between our aussie commentators and the poms is quite stark. Only problem is the commentary seems to be a step behind the action.

Has anyone given SBS radio a go for Cup games? I've listened to quite a few matches using Tune In while driving to work. Up until the quarters it was the BBC commentary from the UK, which was brilliant. As of the semis however its an aussie based squad.... most mind numbingly awful duo I've ever heard! They both talk in mumbling monotone, and rarely actually call what is happening on field. Its like they don't realise people on the radio can't see the action or something, truly terrible.

Worse part is you can't even switch to the BBC or ESPN broadcasts due to rights restrictions!

langpark

First Grade
Have to say that was a f**king boring match. Neither team seemed interested in taking any risks at all.

Hopefully Germany forces a game out of Argentina in the final.
you've been watching too many Nike ads ;-)

I think extra time was pretty decent, Holland were attacking a lot as they clearly didn't want it to go to penalties...

Could be a big changing of the guard now in the Dutch ranks, I wouldn't expect RVP, Robben, Sneijder or Kuyt to make it to the next WC...

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
you've been watching too many Nike ads ;-)

I think extra time was pretty decent, Holland were attacking a lot as they clearly didn't want it to go to penalties...

Could be a big changing of the guard now in the Dutch ranks, I wouldn't expect RVP, Robben, Sneijder or Kuyt to make it to the next WC...

:lol: probably...

I had to listen to extra time on the radio while driving to work, so didn't get a good picture of what way going on (as mentioned above the SBS radio commentators are TERRIBLE). Got to work for the last couple minutes of extra time then the shootout.

If they didn't want it to go to penalties they probably should have pushed more to score in regulation time instead of waiting for extra time to finally start attacking.

Honestly don't even know who I am going for in this final. No one I suppose. I'll just watch it and see what happens.

WireMan

Bench
Can't say the either team deserved to win so to speak but the Dutch deserved to lose more.

Not sure if it was fatigue or tactics but they were well off.

This is the point where BS remembers what LVG is doing after the world cup...

That or he went mad...

Big Sam

First Grade
This is the point where BS remembers what LVG is doing after the world cup...

That or he went mad...

First shot on goal was in the 91st minute and they were awfully slow getting the ball up front.

He did exceptionally well in the group stage when it came to tactics but not scoring at all in 3 hrs against CR and Argentina should have you lot worried. That and the fact that he couldn't get van Persie to do anything, save for the 'salmon header'.

He turned it around against Mexico with the aid of a heat break but I don't see them having any of those in the middle of December :lol:

WireMan

Bench
First shot on goal was in the 91st minute and they were awfully slow getting the ball up front.

He did exceptionally well in the group stage when it came to tactics but not scoring at all in 3 hrs against CR and Argentina should have you lot worried. That and the fact that he couldn't get van Persie to do anything, save for the 'salmon header'.

He turned it around against Mexico with the aid of a heat break but I don't see them having any of those in the middle of December :lol:

So it was that you remembered what LVG is doing after the world cup.

Thought so. ;-)

langpark

First Grade
3rd place playoff tonight... Usually a match teams don't really care too much about, but I think Brazil will want to do their absolute damndest to win this one! Will be interesting to see if Scolari makes any changes!

I think the Dutch will be pretty fired up too, though one day less of rest than the Brazilians is a bit of a disadvantage...

Noa

First Grade
I remember in 98 game the Dutch went with a 2 man defence v Croatia.

Hopefully Kongolo, Depay and clasie start.