What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gerard Sutton

rockcod

Juniors
What do you mean 'touched forward'? That means nothing.

If it is knocked forward towards the opponent's dead ball line it is a knock-on.

The actual wording in the NRL rule book is:
KNOCK-ON - means to knock the ball towards the opponents’ dead
ball line with hand or arm, while playing at the ball.

What I mean by touch forward:
1. Hand moving in a forward direction toward the goal line
2. Hand contacting the ball

Isn't this why the ref and commentators always making note of which way the player is facing?

The rule wording does seem black and white but it doesn't seem to be applied like that in a lot of cases, a lot of bat backs should be called a knock-on and 90% of full backs dropping the ball should not be.

Springs09

Juniors
What I mean by touch forward:
1. Hand moving in a forward direction toward the goal line
2. Hand contacting the ball

Isn't this why the ref and commentators always making note of which way the player is facing?

The rule wording does seem black and white but it doesn't seem to be applied like that in a lot of cases, a lot of bat backs should be called a knock-on and 90% of full backs dropping the ball should not be.

No, because they aren't. If a player is running backwards (towards his own dead ball line) and drops it behind him (towards his opponents dead ball line) then its still a knock on. Which way a player is facing means nothing.

It doesn't matter if it is 'touched forward'. It only matters which direction the ball travels after being touched.

And no, no bat backs should be called knock ons. Because if it hasn't gone backwards it's not a bat back is it?

rockcod

Juniors
No, because they aren't. If a player is running backwards (towards his own dead ball line) and drops it behind him (towards his opponents dead ball line) then its still a knock on. Which way a player is facing means nothing.

It doesn't matter if it is 'touched forward'. It only matters which direction the ball travels after being touched.

And no, no bat backs should be called knock ons. Because if it hasn't gone backwards it's not a bat back is it?

I get what you are saying but I don't see it called that way a lot of the time, players lets say "attempt" to bat the ball back but due to the path of the ball and the speed of the player the ball is still traveling forward, they seem to be let go because they don't look like knock-ons.
Same with wingers or full backs catching kicks, most times the ball goes through their arms it goes backwards but they call knock-on every time.

Springs09

Juniors
I get what you are saying but I don't see it called that way a lot of the time, players lets say "attempt" to bat the ball back but due to the path of the ball and the speed of the player the ball is still traveling forward, they seem to be let go because they don't look like knock-ons.
Same with wingers or full backs catching kicks, most times the ball goes through their arms it goes backwards but they call knock-on every time.

Then they are wrong calls. I must say though I rarely see this.

Howard_Moon

Juniors
if that knock on is called as it should have been, Broncs don't go down field and pick up the suspect Morris penalty. If you don't see that as a blatant knock on you are a moron.

rockcod

Juniors
Then they are wrong calls. I must say though I rarely see this.

If the rule is interpreted as you say then for sure, I feel like the refs have it a bit each way they will justify a call by saying yeah it came off his hand but he was facing his goal line etc when as you say everything else bar the direction of the ball is irrelevant.

32835895_615299095470449_6183028807583137792_n.jpg

Oh dear.

Roosters got almost double the penalties Broncos did. But don't let the truth get in the way of the penalty broncos thing.