What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get players to place the ball, and roll

Iafeta

Referee
I have watched games from the past. Despite what people want to remember they were diabolical at times with striking at the ball a major contributor.

Agree. I get tired of jackoffs like TwoTits Tunks complaining how it was so much better in his day. I've watched a few of those classics. I've seen a number of blokes on their gut on the ground berthing it between their legs and it's fine, play on.

T-Boon

Coach
Back in the day, the result of the game was determined more by the efforts and RL skills of the players than is now the case. Players had to create opportunity by way of skills that the fans actually gave a damn about.
Now, because of the ten metres the result is determined by who manipulates the ruck the best. Who gets the faster play the ball, and gets the crucial ruck penalties etc. This is the most important thing. Thats not ideal because the game is being determined by something the fans do not have the slightest interest in.

Life's Good

Coach
Back in the day, the result of the game was determined more by the efforts and RL skills of the players than is now the case. Players had to create opportunity by way of skills that the fans actually gave a damn about.
Now, because of the ten metres the result is determined by who manipulates the ruck the best. Who gets the faster play the ball, and gets the crucial ruck penalties etc. This is the most important thing. Thats not ideal because the game is being determined by something the fans do not have the slightest interest in.

Not really. You bang on about Bellamy & the Storm ruining the game through all the wrestle yet they have only won a single premiership this decade. That is the same number as a host of other clubs. So whilst they might out wrestle through the H/A season it doesn't necessarily work in the finals.

As for skills now vs. 'back in the day', well that is just looking at things through rose coloured glasses I'm afraid. There is plenty of skill on show but you are more likely to hear about which player had dinner where instead of great set pieces or off the cuff showmanship because the media is driven by click bait driven articles as opposed to good old fashioned sports writing(which was better 'back in the day'.

Barkley

Bench
The play the ball does need to be looked at next year. Its too late now to mess around with the interpretation but there needs to be a crack down its getting ridiculous

I completely agree that the standard of the play the ball is woeful but I hate the good old crackdown by the NRL. Can't they just ref the game to the rules? Why do we let things get so bad that it requires the NRL to publicly announce a crack down?

All the crack downs they have had in recent years progressively go back to the way they were.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I completely agree that the standard of the play the ball is woeful but I hate the good old crackdown by the NRL. Can't they just ref the game to the rules? Why do we let things get so bad that it requires the NRL to publicly announce a crack down?

All the crack downs they have had in recent years progressively go back to the way they were.

I know what you mean and agree. I really just want them to penalise incorrect play the balls so yeah I'm with you.

T-Boon

Coach
I completely agree that the standard of the play the ball is woeful but I hate the good old crackdown by the NRL. Can't they just ref the game to the rules?

I think the way the game is coached now it is just very difficult for the refs to apply the rules in the ruck without getting a lot of calls wrong, either by calling an infringement, or letting one go.
For example: the dummy half insists on throwing very flat passes to the first receiver these days to gobble as much of the ten metres as possible. Unless the ref is at the right angle they would all look much the same but we know from TV angles that dozens are forward each game and don't get called. Its hard to blame the refs when that is the way the coaches and players want to play the game.
The solution might be to reduce the influence of the refs by reducing the punishment in penalties etc.

Barkley

Bench
I think the way the game is coached now it is just very difficult for the refs to apply the rules in the ruck without getting a lot of calls wrong, either by calling an infringement, or letting one go.
For example: the dummy half insists on throwing very flat passes to the first receiver these days to gobble as much of the ten metres as possible. Unless the ref is at the right angle they would all look much the same but we know from TV angles that dozens are forward each game and don't get called. Its hard to blame the refs when that is the way the coaches and players want to play the game.
The solution might be to reduce the influence of the refs by reducing the punishment in penalties etc.
Dummy half passes are difficult to police, but we do have two useless men with flags on the sideline that could assist with that.

So far the NRL has had crackdowns on players in front of the ball from kick offs and drop outs and soon play the balls. All of these areas are extremely easy to police...the refs have simply ignored these infringements. Perhaps they were told to.

LineBall

Juniors
Dummy half passes are difficult to police, but we do have two useless men with flags on the sideline that could assist with that.

So far the NRL has had crackdowns on players in front of the ball from kick offs and drop outs and soon play the balls. All of these areas are extremely easy to police...the refs have simply ignored these infringements. Perhaps they were told to.

It's the Harrigan Effect. The belief that fewer penalties equals a better game.