What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GF viewing figures

Perth Red

Post Whore
Unlikely we will top last years big audience but you never know with Melbourne v Sydney being in it.

Our competitors FTA results:
Peak 6.5mill metro and regional
Avg 4.089 metro and regional
Avg 3.039 3.743mill Peak metro only
Sydney Peak 705,000 Avg 534,00
Melbourne Avg 1.446mill

16% up on last year

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
There's a lot variables when it comes to comparing the Grand Finals. The Sharks are a less supported team than the Western Bulldogs with a minor regional following and have just come off a divisive Essendon-style drugs scandal. So to set a metro ratings record despite all that is rather amazing and I think rest largely on Melbourne and ending that 50 year streak. If it were their 3rd or 4th premiership it might be a different story. Same with the AFL if say the Bulldogs had already won it 5 years ago and it was say North Melbourne instead of the Swans.

Personally I was interested in seeing what a Sharks-Raiders GF would pull given that they're two of the least supported teams in the comp. That would have provided a baseline level for the minimum appeal.

Starkers

Bench
Strong numbers for both codes no doubt. AFL took the mantle this year, can't be disputed.

What can be looked at obviously are the differences - it's largely Adelaide and Perth. If the NRL works on those two states in coming years it ought to be able to match or beat the AFL. And given no teams are there right now, it's an obvious area for expansion in both.

One interesting point I found: In Melbourne, NRL avg 641k peak 787k - In Sydney, AFL avg 534k peak 705k.

I think there's some bragging in that.

docbrown

Coach
What can be looked at obviously are the differences - it's largely Adelaide and Perth. If the NRL works on those two states in coming years it ought to be able to match or beat the AFL

2 AFL teams in QLD pulls in 50% of the Brisbane NRL viewership
2 AFL teams in NSW pulls in 50% of the Sydney NRL viewership
1 NRL team in VIC pulls in 45% of the Melbourne AFL viewership
0 NRL team in SA pulls in 35% of the Adelaide AFL viewership
0 NRL team in WA pulls in 32% of the Perth AFL viewership

When you compare ratings prior to their teams' introduction I think it's debatable as to whether Suns & Giants have added to the eyeballs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So head to head summary:

Total Avg AFL 4.089mill NRL 3.733mill
Total peak AFL 6.5mill NRL 4.226mill (this seems a massive difference?)

Avg metro AFL 3.039mill NRL 2.647mill
Avg regional NRL 1.086mill AFL 1.05mill

Sydney Avg NRL 1.059mill AFL 531k
Melbourne Avg AFL 1.446mill NRL 641k
Brisbane Avg NRL 720k AFL
Perth Avg AFL NRL 118k
Adelaide Avg AFL NRL 109k

Positives: more Melbournians tuned into NRl than Sydneysiders to AFL
Solid figures in WA & SA despite very little NRL presence
Solid figures in Brisbane despite no Qland team
Regional NSW prevented a total hammering, again

Negatives: We lost peak and avg overall ratings
Sydney folk aren't as interested in NRL GF as Melbourne folk are in AFL GF by a long shot

anyone find a link to AFL city break down figures? Be interested to see what Brisbane, SA & WA got for AFL GF.

Perth Red

Post Whore
sshhh, he's trying to find some apples and oranges comparison so we can be better than AFL lol.

Lol no.

New Zealand might be 2-300k Europe might be 100k at best
What ever figure we come up with the Anglo-Irish game will update its viewing figures to make it look as though they got more viewers. They are fudging their TV viewing figures now with help from somebody on the inside like they fudge crowd figures for the thuns, the midgets and the kittens

RoosTah

Juniors
We will get over 1 million viewers from NZ and Europe alone which we can add to our home figure.
I was about to ask this actually - we talk about the AFL ratings in places like SA and WA where there aren't NRL teams, but when you have a few hundred thousand people tuning into the NRL GF in NZ it looks like a clear win for the NRL as you're not going to get any viewers worth registering in NZ for the AFL and those numbers do affect the bottom line come TV deal time.

I was about to ask this actually - we talk about the AFL ratings in places like SA and WA where there aren't NRL teams, but when you have a few hundred thousand people tuning into the NRL GF in NZ it looks like a clear win for the NRL as you're not going to get any viewers worth registering in NZ for the AFL and those numbers do affect the bottom line come TV deal time.
Our Grand Final was shown all over Europe and the population western Europe alone is over 300 million if we say that just 1% of that population watched the grand final that's 3 million.

Anyone else wonder how in this finals series the VFLs REGIONAL NUMBERS have skyrocketed .
I can't think of any reason why .
Historically they are no where near RL regional figures, yet this year they're on par

Latest posts