What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gidley weighs up Knights Future - Newcastle Herald article

Still Nutty

Juniors
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4902974/gidley-weighs-up-knights-future/?cs=306

Newcastle Knights chief executive Matt Gidley says he will decide his future in the next few months as the club moves under the Wests Group umbrella.

Gidley has started work on the club’s transition after the Wests board signed off last Friday on a deal to co-own the Knights with the NRL before assuming full control on November 1.

The Knights will be managed for the next two months by Wests chief executive officer Philip Gardner and the NRL’s chief financial officer, Tony Crawford.

“At some stage I’ll stop and have a breath and think about what all that means for me. I haven’t made a decision,” Gidley told the Herald on Tuesday.

“From my personal point of view it’s extremely exciting for the club to be owned by the Wests Group, who are a highly reputable local organisation.

“I’m not sure what Wests’ plans are in terms of how they want to position the club structurally.”

Gidley said the transition phase would not affect the club’s ability to recruit players, although two of their targets, the Broncos’ Adam Blair and Sharks utility back Gerard Beale, are reportedly on their way to the Warriors.

“We’ve made Adam an offer,” Gidley said.

“We understand he’s had a fantastic offer from New Zealand as well.

“Financially, we understand the Warriors have probably made him a longer-term and a more attractive deal, but from our point of view we’re still interested.”

_________________________________________________________________________________

..."I haven't made a decision" - I suppose the issue is likely to be what decisions Wests make going forward will have a major influence on what decisions he will be able to make.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Its impossible to know exactly how effective he has been as CEO...

We have had some terrible year and some great years since he arrived, yet mostly we are noticing on-field performance and club culture with is the coaches responsibility. The reality is that, in a football team, the good and bad that the CEO does is never noticed and they are praised or blamed for things that they likely had little to do with.

In my mind, Midley will always be coloured as the guy who stepped in to be public face for Tinklers while others made the decisions and he was accidentally left with actual power when Tinks went belly-up (its probably totally wrong, but in the last 6 years, its an image that i just cannot shake).

My gut says that its time for change, and im expecting Wests to say the same. Midley would be good value on the Board, im sure, but we should probably be looking for someone new to step in as CEO.