give it up uncle tone part III

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by butchmcdick, Sep 20, 2017.

1. some11

some11 Coach

I get a raging hard-on every time this guy makes a statement, what a gift to the opposition he is.

2. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

This will end toned abs primeministership

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  3. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

I've no idea what you are alluding to here Millers.

But are you suggesting that the chopping and changing of energy policy has no detrimental effect on investment in the sector?

Because as i see it, we've got uncertainty around policy in pretty much the whole industry, and that doesn't seem to be working out all that well.

4. 2_Smoking_Guns

2_Smoking_Guns First Grade

he sure seems to be solidifying the primeministership aspirations of someone other than himself..... or his party members.... I reckon even Rudd or Gillard could give your team a run for their money with Tone's not whiteanting.....

5. B-dos

B-dos Referee

somewhat on topic:

has anyone here ever done the maths on getting solar at their house?

im in the middle of building and its something im thinking about. given how far gone we are here in australia i cant see any significant improvements in energy production and distribution for a long time to come so seems to me that solar on the roof is getting making a bit more sense each year

my very preliminary research says its good if you use a bit of power during the day.. i use sweet fa except for the fridge and typical standby power

anyone here done it?

6. Surely

No, looks into it didn't stack up due to the low feed in rates these days.

Maybe you could put a whacking big windmill in the backyard ?

Collateral likes this.
  7. B-dos

B-dos Referee

lol

seems to me that its still a reasonably long payback period and it gets worse for those who are out of their house all day at work

apparently to make the most of it you need to sort everything out so your washing machine and dishwasher etc all work during the day. and hot water etc etc.

obviously as electricity gets more and more expensive thanks to loony green policies it becomes more worth it

8. Mong

Mong Immortal

This house had 15 of them already installed when I got here, reduces the bill by about $120 - $150 per quarter in non summer months where we have 3 or 4 air conditioners going a fair bit. Summer was only about $80 reduction.

We set the washing machine on timer to start mid afternoon so it's done when I get home at a bit after 4.

Otherwise we don't do much else to take advantage.

9. Surely

So you save about $500 per year on a 6k investment

10. B-dos

B-dos Referee

one big benefit i can think of is running the A/C all day in summer and not having to worry about the power consumption

im still doing more research but i think its pretty clear that the sums will only start making more sense as power prices increase - i dont see the business case ever going backwards

11. Mong

Mong Immortal

I don't know what it cost to install Surely but on what we get, yes, something like that.

I recall originally it was a better deal if you installed them as opposed to the person after you if and when you sold so it may be different in dos's case.

12. Mong

Mong Immortal

Definitely. We had a week of up to 40+ degree temps and it was generally quite warm last summer so the air cons went the entire time we were here (3 adults and one 4 year old). Also we are home a lot more over that period and generally with extra people because of the holiday period.

The quarterly bill was still quite small really so it definitely made a difference

13. Surely

When I looked into it the best proposition was a 10kw system

Basically ensures no power bill even during summer

They are between 10k and 13k, so if your bill is around 2k per year payback is around 5 years, and with electricity increasing the way it is probably less.

You need roughly 70sqm of roof space.

I wouldn't f**k around with anything below 6kw unless you don't have the roof space.

14. The Charlatan

The Charlatan First Grade

Not as of yet Dos, I will be looking into it when I do my knockdown rebuild in a couple of years, will be looking into the Tesla Powerwall as well.

You've prompted me to do a bit of a Google on it, according to choice.com.au, a 2kW system before rebates and discounts will cost you $4400. It also notes that most manufacturers will warrant their panels for 25 years, with a promise of the panels still providing at least 80% of its rated output after that time, so it's a good long term investment as some of the original arguments over solar was the lifespan of the panels.

I'd like to get a large system as I'll probably throw in two 11HP splitties and they'll likely need 4.5kW of power between the two of them. May need to feed one direct off the grid or maybe just get a smaller system and battery wall to look after all my other power needs and feed the A/C off the grid, and trickle charge back whatever I don't use on the solar system for the feed-in tariff. Might pay for you to shop around and see what energy provider gives you the best feed-in tariff for whatever you may put back into the grid.

15. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

I did the math

At 6k for a system it would pay for itself within 5 years

It will also be battery ready for when the cost of batteries comes down to a reasonable level

16. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

i absolutely claim government intervention in the energy market with the various forms of carbon taxes, ret's and subsidies and mandated power supply from expensive intermittent sources has had a huge effect on power prices[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  17. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

do you have a source ?

18. Surely

Depending on when your power demand is

19. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

20. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

i like maths
    how quickly do the panels degrade and need to be replaced?
    and what efficiency loss per year of degradation did you use?
    how many hours of sunlight per day did you use and how did you factor in clouds, dust and times of low sunlight like dawn and dusk ?

or did you just use nameplate value?