What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

no name

Coach
Has anyone discussed the relevant precedent in aussie sport for this sort of change in branding?? I.e the Manchester city group take over of the former melbourme heart in the a-league, they changed the name, colours and badge but as far as I know kept the old heart colours for the away kit. They have seen a small increase in support in the years since although you could argue that is down to certain marquee signings pulling people through the gates

So with the above example I would allow the bid with conditions
  • Bears badge and branding fully implemented
  • Bears home colours
  • Current titans colours for away jersey but with bears badge
  • No sydney home season games, it's a gold coast club and there is plenty of opportunity for fans to attend away games against Sydney clubs.
  • Commitments to support GC juniors
So they will be there Bears when they play at home, but wear Titans colours for their Sydney games?
Kinda defeats the point.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
So they will be there Bears when they play at home, but wear Titans colours for their Sydney games?
Kinda defeats the point.
The term 'Away' jersey has always annoyed me.

They should be 'clash' jerseys and only worn when necessary

They'd only need to wear titans colours against the warriors and maybe penrif and tigers

North Sydney Bears officials have commissioned independent research that suggests the club still have 500,000 supporters in Queensland and NSW, figures they believe strengthen their consortium’s case to buy the Gold Coast licence.

The Bears are backing a consortium of wealthy businessmen with North Sydney connections (among them are private equiteer Peter Wiggs and Gold Coast businessman Harry Cheung), having granted the group the right to use the colours and moniker of the foundation club.

They face a significant challenge to convince the NRL of the merits of their bid, given the governing body’s reluctance to tinker again with the club’s colours and logo, let alone their desire to ensure the Gold Coast retain their local feel.

However, the Bears refuse to give up hope and are leaving nothing to chance, commissioning independent research through Nielsen to show how the Bears brand still resonates with the rugby league public.

It is understood they sent a mini-prospectus to potential parties when they were piecing together a consortium.

That prospectus contained independent research that demonstrated the ongoing support for the Bears, who played their final game in the premiership nearly 20 years ago.

More than 200,000 of the fans who still supported the Bears were at the top in terms of avidity — meaning they were more likely to watch on television or attend games. It is understood the research indicates they are eight times more likely to attend a game than a Gold Coast Titans supporter.

The NRL is yet to put the Titans on the market, although it is expected to do so later this month. It is waiting until it has finalised the future of the Newcastle Knights, who are expected to be bought by the Newcastle-based Wests Group in coming weeks.

Wests Group members are currently voting on the takeover of the Knights licence and it is understood they were 93 per cent in favour of the bid heading into the weekend.

Once the Knights have been finalised, the Titans will hit the market with several consortiums circling. The Bears are among them, along with former owner Darryl Kelly, who has put together a consortium of his own that is expected to include Titans chairwoman Rebecca Frizelle.

At least one and possibly two other consortiums are also in the mix.

The Bears refuse to give up hope as they look to awaken a fan base that has been in hibernation for nearly two decades. The uncertainty surrounding the Titans’ ownership comes as they reel from two of their worst performances of the season, their latest a thrashing at the hands of neighbours Brisbane.

The Titans finished that game with star halfback Ashley Taylor on the sidelines with a knee injury. Taylor left the ground in a brace and will undergo scans. At the very least, he is expected to miss their game against St George Illawarra this weekend.

Taylor’s future may yet hinge on the outcome of the battle for the Gold Coast licence. The Titans No 7 is off contract at the end of next season and while Brisbane have already expressed their interest in luring him home, other clubs are keeping a close eye on proceedings.

The consortium that eventually wins the Titans licence is likely to make Taylor’s retention a priority, given he is the sort of player the Gold Coast can build their club around.

Meanwhile, the fallout from the local derby against the Broncos yesterday resulted in two Brisbane players, Joe Ofahengaue and James Roberts, being charged.

Ofahengaue was fortunate to stay on the field after a spear tackle on Titans forward Max King for which the Ofahengaue was charged with a grade three dangerous throw, meaning he could miss as many as five games if he fights the charge and loses at the judiciary.

Roberts was hit with a $1500 fine after being charged with contrary conduct for a punch on Gold Coast captain Ryan James.

Roberts avoided a sin-binning for the offence but the Broncos centre has been hit in the hip pocket for his moment of ill-discipline.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/253b29cd145ef5dda162f220ac245992

772b49c8ee44062908d43af2b8a4ecb5

nrD4bHHksB4-FNffxyX0MiYQkflAV3rwxz2hcUicqr0.jpg

The Great Dane

First Grade
North Sydney Bears officials have commissioned independent research that suggests the club still have 500,000 supporters in Queensland and NSW, figures they believe strengthen their consortium’s case to buy the Gold Coast licence.

The Bears are backing a consortium of wealthy businessmen with North Sydney connections (among them are private equiteer Peter Wiggs and Gold Coast businessman Harry Cheung), having granted the group the right to use the colours and moniker of the foundation club.

They face a significant challenge to convince the NRL of the merits of their bid, given the governing body’s reluctance to tinker again with the club’s colours and logo, let alone their desire to ensure the Gold Coast retain their local feel.

However, the Bears refuse to give up hope and are leaving nothing to chance, commissioning independent research through Nielsen to show how the Bears brand still resonates with the rugby league public.

It is understood they sent a mini-prospectus to potential parties when they were piecing together a consortium.

That prospectus contained independent research that demonstrated the ongoing support for the Bears, who played their final game in the premiership nearly 20 years ago.

More than 200,000 of the fans who still supported the Bears were at the top in terms of avidity — meaning they were more likely to watch on television or attend games. It is understood the research indicates they are eight times more likely to attend a game than a Gold Coast Titans supporter.

The NRL is yet to put the Titans on the market, although it is expected to do so later this month. It is waiting until it has finalised the future of the Newcastle Knights, who are expected to be bought by the Newcastle-based Wests Group in coming weeks.

Wests Group members are currently voting on the takeover of the Knights licence and it is understood they were 93 per cent in favour of the bid heading into the weekend.

Once the Knights have been finalised, the Titans will hit the market with several consortiums circling. The Bears are among them, along with former owner Darryl Kelly, who has put together a consortium of his own that is expected to include Titans chairwoman Rebecca Frizelle.

At least one and possibly two other consortiums are also in the mix.

The Bears refuse to give up hope as they look to awaken a fan base that has been in hibernation for nearly two decades. The uncertainty surrounding the Titans’ ownership comes as they reel from two of their worst performances of the season, their latest a thrashing at the hands of neighbours Brisbane.

The Titans finished that game with star halfback Ashley Taylor on the sidelines with a knee injury. Taylor left the ground in a brace and will undergo scans. At the very least, he is expected to miss their game against St George Illawarra this weekend.

Taylor’s future may yet hinge on the outcome of the battle for the Gold Coast licence. The Titans No 7 is off contract at the end of next season and while Brisbane have already expressed their interest in luring him home, other clubs are keeping a close eye on proceedings.

The consortium that eventually wins the Titans licence is likely to make Taylor’s retention a priority, given he is the sort of player the Gold Coast can build their club around.

Meanwhile, the fallout from the local derby against the Broncos yesterday resulted in two Brisbane players, Joe Ofahengaue and James Roberts, being charged.

Ofahengaue was fortunate to stay on the field after a spear tackle on Titans forward Max King for which the Ofahengaue was charged with a grade three dangerous throw, meaning he could miss as many as five games if he fights the charge and loses at the judiciary.

Roberts was hit with a $1500 fine after being charged with contrary conduct for a punch on Gold Coast captain Ryan James.

Roberts avoided a sin-binning for the offence but the Broncos centre has been hit in the hip pocket for his moment of ill-discipline.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/253b29cd145ef5dda162f220ac245992

Depending on how they asked the question I'm sure that you could get similar results for every club...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Go back and suggest this in 2006 and it might happen...

Should jump in bed with Perth/Adelaide/Melbourne 2. Changing the Goldcoasts mascot again is a terrible idea!!!!

King hit

Coach
When North Sydney were in the comp did anybody know anyone who was a fan?

My dad was a big North Sydney fan so I've got a soft spot for the Bears and feel sympathy for them, it was an injustice what happened to them in 1999. I imagine if they were still around I would've turned out a Norths fan.

magpie_man

Juniors
I have an enormous soft spot for the Bears having played most of my junior football in the North Sydney district.
I'd be at every game at North Sydney Oval, should they take any there.

Pennies

Juniors
I was a bears fan. Have a so so interest in Rugby league now and don't support any specific team.
If the Bears took over the Titans and booted out Hayne I would return as a fan.

T-Boon

Coach
The jersey, emblem and name does look and sound a lot better than the Titans present monstrosity. Could they partner with the Burleigh Bears. They could be the Two Bears. Gold Coast Two Bears.

Knightmare

Coach
The jersey, emblem and name does look and sound a lot better than the Titans present monstrosity. Could they partner with the Burleigh Bears. They could be the Two Bears. Gold Coast Two Bears.

And they could bring out British DJ act The Two Bears as pre-match entertainment for their debut match!

Played one of my best games as a junior at North Sydney Oval... My best all time game was at Henson park... Great times