What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

In general I like the idea

* Doubles their supporter base

* Sydney away games will have better crowds

* long term 'Bears' is more marketable than titans

* gives them a clear distinction to the Gold Coast Suns. As is both teams present a bit on the plastic side. Bears provides a traditional name & strip.

I don't like the idea of 3 NSW games though. Gold Coast needs a full commitment to work, 1 retro round game at North Sydney oval should be it. Splitting home games across 3 venues is just way too much. Especially when those venues are so far apart.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
I like it. Stuff Gosford though. Retro round at North Sydney Oval and the rest at Robina.

Absolutely. The best bets for Central Coast to have their own NRL side now IMO are Manly (Probably sharing their home games as St George Illawarra do), or Roosters (Either taking a few games there, or following through on their feeder-club arrangement with Wyong & moving fulltime onto the Central Coast).

A club with twin bases in Robina and Gosford is preposterous - for a start you have Newcastle right in the middle of that area.

Get Stadiums Qld to do a deal that benefitted NRL (GC in particular) fans? Not likely.

They could leverage the threat of leaving the Gold Coast, or at least threaten to take more games to NSW.

Stadiums QLD might be rigid in their approach but I don't think they or the govt want an empty stadium with zero prospects of another tenant.

flippikat

Bench
If bears go to gold Coast i bet you roosters will go to the central coast

I hope so.

If the NRL accepts the Gold Coast Bears rebrand on the condition that they don't take games to Gosford and sever any ties to the Central Coast, it leaves that region as open to any Sydney club that wants to relocate there.

It'd be one of the smartest moves the NRL can do right now.

___

Juniors
I don't know why the NRL gave the GC a license to be the 16th team anyway. Did they not learn from the:
  • Gold Coast Giants
  • Gold Coast Seagulls
  • Gold Coast Gladiators
  • Gold Coast Chargers
4 failed franchises in the one city, yet they simply did not learn and decided to give them a 5th, whereas the bears lasted 90+ years on their own!

Knightmare

Coach
I don't know why the NRL gave the GC a license to be the 16th team anyway. Did they not learn from the:
  • Gold Coast Giants
  • Gold Coast Seagulls
  • Gold Coast Gladiators
  • Gold Coast Chargers
4 failed franchises in the one city, yet they simply did not learn and decided to give them a 5th, whereas the bears lasted 90+ years on their own!

Because 'Muh Qld teams!!!'

And these are the same geniuses who think the Brisbane Bombers are a must for the next round of expansion...

Rudderriffic

Juniors
I like it! Mythical, just like the Gold Coast Supporter base....

How about the Gold Coast Merman's

merman_in_blue_by_daekazu-d8gpf3v.jpg
If Zillman was a merman, would he still have chronic leg injuries?

I hate the idea of screwing around with the fans on the GC any further. Look at the fan engagement and tell me that isn't a product of a complete lack of stability over the past few decades. I love the Bears but leave the GC alone ffs

• Gold Coast Giants
  • Gold Coast Seagulls
  • Gold Coast Gladiators
  • Gold Coast Chargers
New team with a hertiage name... Gold Coast Gladiator Bear-Gulls

Canard

Immortal
The Gold Coast is the 2nd biggest city in QLD and needs a full time team.

A team there is much more important then one on the North Shore.

Just because they have been run poorly, doesn't mean they should be gotten rid of.

If bad admin was the reason to not have a team then goodbye Newcastle, Parra, Manly,NQ pre-2004

ed-grimley

Bench
  • Gold Coast Giants
  • Gold Coast Seagulls
  • Gold Coast Gladiators
  • Gold Coast Chargers
The Gold Coast appears to be a graveyard for teams in all sports.

franklin2323

Immortal
They could leverage the threat of leaving the Gold Coast, or at least threaten to take more games to NSW.

Stadiums QLD might be rigid in their approach but I don't think they or the govt want an empty stadium with zero prospects of another tenant.

Yeah All thge 3 QLD teams really get a bad deal. NSW Clubs get $100k to play at ANZ compared to GC paying $130k to play a game at home. Might get action with such fear

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
  • Gold Coast Giants
  • Gold Coast Seagulls
  • Gold Coast Gladiators
  • Gold Coast Chargers

TBF, this wasnt 4 teams. It was one team renamed 3 times.

Calling it 4 teams is like saying Penrith got a new team every time they changed their logo....