What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

Canard

Immortal
Don't the bears have a some kind of relation to a cashed up club up there?

There are plenty of Leagues clubs on the Gold Coast, they don't give away there money to loss making ventures very often.

I can't see theirs being any different.

Marlins

Juniors
The Bears are like some man who caught his wife in bed with his best friend and then he is trying to win her affection back even though she just just told him he has a small dick and is crap in bed and that she has been cheating on him with his brother as well. Like "if I just get a new job and work on my abs she will take me back".

Man up Bears. Tell the NRL where to go including their ugly sister reserve grade league and go start your own shiny new league with all the hot, tight young clubs (Redcliffe, Newtown, Ipswich, Crushers etc).

B-League...(Bear League).
Gotta love the consistency

Teddyboy

First Grade
Stupid idea and reminds of the mad idea of St.George-Illawarra merging with Cronulla Sharks back in 1999.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Fans in Gold Coast would revolt. How many fans with Titans jerseys, shirts, caps, then would be expected to trump up money for Bears merchandise just to please hanger-oners in NSW.

The people who support this idea haven't thought through the challenges and backlash this could cause.

All 2000 of them....

Pedge1971

First Grade
I have already received two text messages from Norths fans living on the central coast today saying how happy they are that the Bears are back..

Plus you will get the north Sydney based fans traveling up to the central coast for games.

No u wont. They are long gone. There were not that many of them anyway.

Fans in Gold Coast would revolt. How many fans with Titans jerseys, shirts, caps, then would be expected to trump up money for Bears merchandise just to please hanger-oners in NSW.

The people who support this idea haven't thought through the challenges and backlash this could cause.

Easily fixed by having a merchandise swap.

It'd cost the Bears money but it'd be money well spent.

Why is it that Sydney types expect qld to embrace a relocated Sydney club anymore than NSW would embrace a qld club?

A reasonable point, but the fact is the Gold Coast are for sale. The NRL aren't going to hold on to them indefinitely & if Norths is the best option surely it's better than no rugby league on the Gold Coast at all?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'm not sure, but I think its too aligned with the old AFL teams name to be a good marketing idea.

Also why should a new team have take on an old team's name, logo, and colours just to please the hanger-oners in NSW? QLD does not want old relics of NSW teams and the Ipswich Knights, or the Gold Coast Bears, or the Brisbane Bears it's all rubbish.

There are people already arguing that Sydney teams should be merging or cutting them down from the comp, not trying to bring old teams back through new locations and split venues just to please a couple of old timers who want to go back to the past.

Yeh, if GC was to go for a name change, they should bring back an old QRL/BRL team. Not a transplanted Sydney team...

Moving an old Sydney team to a non-RL location (Perth, Adelaide) might be good in that it gives the team an immediate injection of history. But if anyone thinks QLD fans will be happy with a Sydney reject, they are kidding themselves....

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Teams sell a couple of home games anyway. So no different here if GC wants a FT team let them make a bid. Certainly get no favours with the stadium deal.

Fine. Sell games to regional QLD.

Taking games away from QLD and taking them to Sydney if f*cking lunacy....

Yes I'm sure the Roosters will give up the millions in sponsorship and business deals it gets from being associated with the image of Bondi/Sydney city to appease a group of deluded fans who don't even like our club. The central coast were given a team, but they decided instead to cry like a little girl and throw shit at the NRL. Bugger em, they don't deserve a club at all.

Roosters should move half their games to the CC, not to please old Bears fans, but to take over a decent RL market...

Take a handful of games out of SFS and the games that are in sydney become more valuable to the fans in the area. THen you boast your crowds with the CC fans keen for anything. You can get sponsorships from both areas and you tap into a big junior area.

Roosters already move 2-4 games every year, so its not like youre losing anything. But focusing on a single area rather than throwing them across the country at random will develop this local fanbase year on year.

Last edited:

TheVelourFog

First Grade
I have already received two text messages from Norths fans living on the central coast today saying how happy they are that the Bears are back..

Plus you will get the north Sydney based fans traveling up to the central coast for games.

really though?

there are a lot of Roosters and Rabbitohs fans around here

I don't get the feeling there is any great push from the community for the Bears to come here

alien

Referee
I dont think ANOTHER name change is really what the Titans needs....

Personally, i think they should keep the name and change the logo (what does a gladiator have to do with Titans anyway?)

I would love to see some mythical ocean monster as the club mascot (a Kraken or a Leviathan or something). It gives us the aquatic angle to get SOME local vibe and the mythological creature mostly justifies the name "Titans"

Imagine all of weird marketing/merchandising angles you could do with that as you logo...
There are lots of titans in Greek mythology. There is an ocean titan in Greek mythology called Okeanos (Oceanus).
d74bfc2525bfde4dff895104f6957c87.jpg

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Panthers change their colours every year or so and no one seems to mind....

Reactions: siv

alien

Referee
Gold Coast Bears sounds fine, but if they do become the Gold Coast Bears, then they should play all home games on the Gold Coast. Old Bears fans in Sydney would still be able to go to the away games in Sydney.

Latest posts