What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

Stallion

First Grade
No thanks. Going around in circles, just like the Greg Florimo chasing the ambulance of any NRL club doing it tough.

No thanks to what? Reinvigorating a virtually lost area in North Sydney and giving the Central Coast people a team in the Big League? At least you were polite in knocking back progress for the code and a license to print money!

Diesel

Referee
I think this thread is getting far more attention than it deserves.

Someone is going to take it very hard when they realise Bears will be continuously overlooked for Expansion because nobody needs an 11th NSW team..
It’s been said before but the Bears need to align with SA and wait their time for a bid. WA already has the Pirates brand and the NSW Bears were never going to work in QLD (recent GC bid or as a second Brisbane team)

Stallion

First Grade
It’s been said before but the Bears need to align with SA and wait their time for a bid. WA already has the Pirates brand and the NSW Bears were never going to work in QLD (recent GC bid or as a second Brisbane team)

Maybe that's an angle if the dilution of the code in greater Sydney is to continue on its destructive ways? I suppose an Adelaide Bears team with their colours and logo would compensate many lost fans in some way. Pretty sure something is better than nothing. Links can still be sustained especially commercially. Your suggestion has merit given the poor regard for consolidating and strengtheining the code in Northern Sydney and surrounds.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
No thanks to what? Reinvigorating a virtually lost area in North Sydney and giving the Central Coast people a team in the Big League? At least you were polite in knocking back progress for the code and a license to print money!

No thanks.

Brisbane 2, Perth, Adelaide, NZ2 and the comp is pretty much sewn up for 20+ years. By then you'd hope a Sydney team has adopted Central Coast and stuck with it to put this whole thing to bed. If Roosters don't move 4+ games there when Allianz is being done I'll be dissappointed.

jim_57

Staff member

Adelaide or NZ2 would still be options. This would be a fair compromise.

Adelaide Bears:
  • Traditional Red & Black back in the NRL.
  • 11 homes game at Hindmarsh, 1 at Adelaide Oval (V Storm).
  • Customisable away game memberships for Sydney based fans.
  • Linked with North Sydney NSW Cup side.
Easts Roosters
  • 8-10 Games at Allianz, 2-4 Games at Central Coast Stadium.
  • Linked with Wyong Roos NSW Cup.
  • Possibly more games at Central Coast as 'away' games if other clubs are willing to move for $.
  • Discounted transport options for Central Coast members to Allianz games.
It is so easy to support a team from anywhere in the World today, gpne are the days of them having to be right on your doorstep. Remaining Bears fans would have their team back and still have them playing 6+ games in their city and have easy access to every game on TV.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
No thanks.

Brisbane 2, Perth, Adelaide, NZ2 and the comp is pretty much sewn up for 20+ years. By then you'd hope a Sydney team has adopted Central Coast and stuck with it to put this whole thing to bed. If Roosters don't move 4+ games there when Allianz is being done I'll be dissappointed.

Understand the thinking. As a compromise the Adelaide Bears in black and red is at least something. If done well it could reinvigorate the code in Northern Sydney (which is an issue). That thinking needs to be proactive and deliberate for into the future.

jim_57

Staff member
Understand the thinking. As a compromise the Adelaide Bears in black and red is at least something. If done well it could reinvigorate the code in Northern Sydney (which is an issue). That thinking needs to be proactive and deliberate for into the future.

Fits with the state colours also. It would be a decent compromise, honestly don't think we'll see the Bears back if they insist on being on the Central Coast. Bite the bullet, partner up with SARL now and help local RL develop, aim for an Under 20's side within 5-10 years with an NRL team as the ultimate goal.

Stallion

First Grade
Fits with the state colours also. It would be a decent compromise, honestly don't think we'll see the Bears back if they insist on being on the Central Coast. Bite the bullet, partner up with SARL now and help local RL develop, aim for an Under 20's side within 5-10 years with an NRL team as the ultimate goal.

Its got merit provided the Bears are closely linked with the North Sydney area with respect to juniors and supporter links. Hopefully financial backing can be harnessed from both the influential North Sydney CBD and the South Australian business sector. The red and black synergy in colours is significant and real bonus for such a franchise going forward. Let's hope something positive is being planned?! Perhaps a guest home game or two against Manly and Newcastle at the Central Coast or North Sydney oval may be a good idea as well?

jim_57

Staff member
Its got merit provided the Bears are closely linked with the North Sydney area with respect to juniors and supporter links. Hopefully financial backing can be harnessed from both the influential North Sydney CBD and the South Australian business sector. The red and black synergy in colours is significant and real bonus for such a franchise going forward. Let's hope something positive is being planned?! Perhaps a guest home game or two against Manly and Newcastle at the Central Coast or North Sydney oval may be a good idea as well?

1 game max in North Sydney. You'd want Adelaide to feel like it's their team, not a Sydney team using them to get back in the NRL. That's why it would be so vital to build links in Adelaide starting as soon as possible. For the old Sydney based fans, offer a customisable away game membership so they can attend away games in Sydney.

Stallion

First Grade
1 game max in North Sydney. You'd want Adelaide to feel like it's their team, not a Sydney team using them to get back in the NRL. That's why it would be so vital to build links in Adelaide starting as soon as possible. For the old Sydney based fans, offer a customisable away game membership so they can attend away games in Sydney.

I'd suggest that one game be Bears v Manly Warringah! An absolute sellout! And a local rivalry somewhat reignited. Yes it's got merit! If Bear park is not up to scratch then have it at Central Coast stadium. Guaranteed sellout either way.

Diesel

Referee
RL seemed to have a good following in Adelaide in the 90’s. It wasn’t until 1998 the crowds dropped, but I’m not sure if that was due to it being known the Rams were on death row.

What’s RL’s presence like in SA?

jim_57

Staff member
I'd suggest that one game be Bears v Manly Warringah! An absolute sellout! And a local rivalry somewhat reignited. Yes it's got merit! If Bear park is not up to scratch then have it at Central Coast stadium. Guaranteed sellout either way.

To be honest if they were going to go that way and it was such a blockbuster match why not Allianz and aim for 30k+? Couple that with a game V Storm at Adelaide Oval and aim for similar numbers and you have the crowd average off to a good start.

Hopefully the Bears can swallow their pride and explore other options like this.

Stallion

First Grade
To be honest if they were going to go that way and it was such a blockbuster match why not Allianz and aim for 30k+? Couple that with a game V Storm at Adelaide Oval and aim for similar numbers and you have the crowd average off to a good start.

Hopefully the Bears can swallow their pride and explore other options like this.

It's the localness thaits the difference. Sure if Bear park or Brookvake had 30000 capacity. But they don't. The rivalry is based alot on proximity and convenience and flows on from there. The fans would not attend the SFS for that locality aspect reason. That's the way it is.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
It's the localness thaits the difference. Sure if Bear park or Brookvake had 30000 capacity. But they don't. The rivalry is based alot on proximity and convenience and flows on from there. The fans would not attend the SFS for that locality aspect reason. That's the way it is.

If old Sydney based Bears fans couldn't muster the effort to get to Allianz once a year then it wouldn't be worth taking a game out of Adelaide IMO.

The more I think about it the idea has merit. This may be borderline too cheesy but a few years back there was a mock Adelaide Pandas thing going around here, you could touch on that with a both a black bear and panda as mascots on game day. Gives it another local touch with Adelaide being the only zoo in Australia to house Pandas.

But, I've gotten way too ahead of myself on hypotheticals now

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think this thread is getting far more attention than it deserves.

Someone is going to take it very hard when they realise Bears will be continuously overlooked for Expansion because nobody needs an 11th NSW team..

Everyone, and I mean everyone including the bears, know this. Except stallion lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
RL seemed to have a good following in Adelaide in the 90’s. It wasn’t until 1998 the crowds dropped, but I’m not sure if that was due to it being known the Rams were on death row.

What’s RL’s presence like in SA?

At grassroots terrible. They get hammered in the state championships every year which would suggest the quality is poor and numbers wise they are smaller than nt I believe.

On the plus side the big crowd last year, the biggest since the rams, shows hope there is interest in the game.

Stallion

First Grade
Most of what you post is hypothetical and without any facts or reference!

Coming from you thats a laugh! The guy who argued for exhorbitant prices in the rugby league world cup and other farcical things for the code! You have embarassed yourself repeatedly! My information and comments are genuine and on the ground stuff. Yours have been proven to fail yet you smuggly sly away from reality as if nothing you said was noted. You're the fake PR !

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Everyone, and I mean everyone including the bears, know this. Except stallion lol

Coming from you I think your 'sweeping' statement is taken like a grain of salt. You have a track record on going back on what you have stated and sheepishly avoiding comment when you have been embarassingly wrong. I can provide examples if you like?

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
If old Sydney based Bears fans couldn't muster the effort to get to Allianz once a year then it wouldn't be worth taking a game out of Adelaide IMO.

The more I think about it the idea has merit. This may be borderline too cheesy but a few years back there was a mock Adelaide Pandas thing going around here, you could touch on that with a both a black bear and panda as mascots on game day. Gives it another local touch with Adelaide being the only zoo in Australia to house Pandas.

But, I've gotten way too ahead of myself on hypotheticals now

A game in North Sydney or Central Coast will be appreciated by fans. Embracing two markets (areas)is better than one and gives a decent rugby league base for a new franchise. They should be able to complement eachother. God knows they (Bears fans)have been treated unfairly as it is!

Latest posts