What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

OVP

Coach
Fine. Sell games to regional QLD.

Taking games away from QLD and taking them to Sydney if f*cking lunacy....

Roosters should move half their games to the CC, not to please old Bears fans, but to take over a decent RL market...

Take a handful of games out of SFS and the games that are in sydney become more valuable to the fans in the area. THen you boast your crowds with the CC fans keen for anything. You can get sponsorships from both areas and you tap into a big junior area.

Roosters already move 2-4 games every year, so its not like youre losing anything. But focusing on a single area rather than throwing them across the country at random will develop this local fanbase year on year.

We have no need to do that at all. Our setup is perfect for us the way it is atm. We have a foothold on the North Coast and most people don't realise we also have a very strong presence on the South Coast as well, with a partnership between Easts Leagues and the Bateman's Bay area i think it is, much to the anger of the Illawarra Dragons. I don't think people realise what Uncle Nick has done for our club. We own (outright) so much property in the Eastern Suburbs(at at least double the value of any other area in Sydney), Western Subs, Northern Subs and Southern Subs of Sydney, North Coast and South Coast we are financially setup for one hell of a long time, even when Nick decides to call it a day. Mark Bouris is waiting in the wings to take over anyway, and probably will next decade. And we also have access to two very strong Junior areas on the North and South Coast. We have no need to change anything at all.

We are known as the glamour club from Bondi, and I can assure you we would lose that reputation if we moved to or moved half our games to the Central Coast and it would definitely destroy us completely. There's more to running a club than crowds and juniors, image is everything to our club. It just isn't going to happen, simply for financial reasons. Who the hell would want to invest in a club from the Central Coast, when you can invest in a club from the Eastern Suburbs and City area itself ? I doubt we'd find many sponsors willing to part with their money for a club based on the CC. I doubt any club would if they wanted to move there. It's a financial graveyard area, and we ain't a bunch of suckers.

Last edited:

alien

Referee
Who the hell would want to invest in a club from the Central Coast, when you can invest in a club from the Eastern Suburbs and City area itself ?

Only some of the eastern areas of the city is Roosters territory!

Border_2.JPG

OVP

Coach
Only some of the eastern areas of the city is Roosters territory!

SG Ball can kiss my arse. Corrupt, evil slime. No doubt he's toasting on the fires of Hell as we speak.

Anyway so what. We own shitloads of property in your area anyway. You lot own SFA.

Card Shark

Immortal
Gold Coast Bears sounds fine, but if they do become the Gold Coast Bears, then they should play all home games on the Gold Coast. Old Bears fans in Sydney would still be able to go to the away games in Sydney.

This is the only way it could work, total committment to the Gold Coast.

I don't see how removing the Titans name (which was a dud at the start), with an old rugby league name (traditional losers) is going to make things better.

It'll die in no time!

alien

Referee
SG Ball can kiss my arse. Corrupt, evil slime. No doubt he's toasting on the fires of Hell as we speak.

Anyway so what. We own shitloads of property in your area anyway. You lot own SFA.
lol, triggered

davi

Juniors
Panthers change their colours every year or so and no one seems to mind....

Ofcourse you conveniently left out that the Panthers don't change their name or logo. But hey never let that stay in the way of a good argument..............

davi

Juniors
A reasonable point, but the fact is the Gold Coast are for sale. The NRL aren't going to hold on to them indefinitely & if Norths is the best option surely it's better than no rugby league on the Gold Coast at all?

There not the best option, in fact the other clubs around the league have mocked and ridiculed the Bears proposal.

Also renaming a team can backfire on you big time just ask the now defunct NBL team West Sydney Razorbacks who renamed themselves the Sydney Spirit. The fans who supported them felt alienated and the attempt to gains fans who had previously supported the Sydney Kings never eventuated.

There not the best option, in fact the other clubs around the league have mocked and ridiculed the Bears proposal.

Also renaming a team can backfire on you big time just ask the now defunct NBL team West Sydney Razorbacks who renamed themselves the Sydney Spirit. The fans who supported them felt alienated and the attempt to gains fans who had previously supported the Sydney Kings never eventuated.

What is the best option?

So far it seems like Norths are the only interested party. Beggars can't be choosers..

Also not sure an NBL comparison is valid, let alone a comparison of the huge Sydney market to a Gold Coast team.

Are the fans seriously going to reject an name change if it meant saving rugby league on the Gold Coast?

Last edited:

davi

Juniors
What is the best option?

So far it seems like Norths are the only interested party. Beggars can't be choosers..

Also not sure an NBL comparison is valid, let alone a comparison of the huge Sydney market to a Gold Coast team.

Are the fans seriously going to reject an name change if it meant saving rugby league on the Gold Coast?

There the only interested party you say? There are no other bidders? I'm glad I don't use this forum for my only news information. You are so off the mark......

"NORTH Sydney’s $7 million bid to buy the Titans is set to be torpedoed with the NRL outlining their preference for a fully-fledged club on the Gold Coast.

But Norths’ ambitious push to return to the big league has received the backing of Bears and Queensland great Gary Larson, who urged the NRL to accept their multi-million dollar proposal.

The Norths consortium, who have yet to table a formal offer to the NRL, will ramp-up plans to buy the Titans over the next 48 hours.

As revealed by The Courier-Mail last month, the Titans will be put up for sale this year, with at least two consortia expressing interest in claiming the licence from the NRL.

The Bears are one potential buyer, while former owner Darryl Kelly, now a Titans director, is prepared to reinvest as part of a posse of Gold Coast-based businessmen.

Bears officials have spent the past two years eyeing off the Titans licence, but it is understood they are rank outsiders to trump a Kelly-led consortium."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/ecd0547dfa236ec217a6c6a45e25eb19

There the only interested party you say? There are no other bidders? I'm glad I don't use this forum for my only news information. You are so off the mark......

Ok. So two unamed consortiums are interested.

Tell me how these unamed consortiums are a better option? Surely to make that judgement you'd need to know something about them?

adamkungl

Immortal
If bears go to gold Coast i bet you roosters will go to the central coast

Why, do you think the non existent Bears are somehow stopping us doing it now?

You losers need to get over your delusions about Roosters relocating. Manly are far more likely when Brookvale council shafts them too far on their increasingly insustainable home ground.

Reactions: OVP

Eelectrica

Referee
Ok. So two unamed consortiums are interested.

Tell me how these unamed consortiums are a better option? Surely to make that judgement you'd need to know something about them?
They're better options because they're actually GC based, headed by business men with a vested interest in seeing a GC based NRL team succeed.

The Bears don't want a GC team to succeed. They want the license to eventually relocate the whole thing to Gosford. They know as much as anyone a re-branding will kill support for the team on GC.

adamkungl

Immortal
Fine. Sell games to regional QLD.

Taking games away from QLD and taking them to Sydney if f*cking lunacy....

Roosters should move half their games to the CC, not to please old Bears fans, but to take over a decent RL market...

Take a handful of games out of SFS and the games that are in sydney become more valuable to the fans in the area. THen you boast your crowds with the CC fans keen for anything. You can get sponsorships from both areas and you tap into a big junior area.

Roosters already move 2-4 games every year
, so its not like youre losing anything. But focusing on a single area rather than throwing them across the country at random will develop this local fanbase year on year.

1-2 you loon.

There is no sane reason for Roosters to relocate from the best stadium and wealthiest area in Sydney. We can and do invest in their juniors without moving.

adamkungl

Immortal
As for the BearTitans.

Mixed opinions and a lot of questions.

Would QLD or more importantly existing Titans fans accept and embrace another name change?

What does a 20 year dead club actually bring to the table? A logo and a substandard Sydney junior area? Does the Norths club as it stands currently even have anything to do with the Central Coast?

There are no Bears fans left. The amount that would financially invest in the GC Bears is miniscule, they've moved on to new clubs.

Taking >1 game down to Sydney is not an option.

I still believe Central Coast Bears would be a viable NRL franchise in an area with enough population and juniors to sustain a team. Even so, they aren't high on the priority list - there are easily 4 or 5 locations that could say the same and they're currently more important.

Gold Coast Bears - not fussed either way. If it happens, good luck to them.

___

Juniors
If bears go to gold Coast i bet you roosters will go to the central coast
If the Bears move to the Gold Coast, they will be marketed as both a team of the Gold Coast and CC/North Sydney. The Roosters will never move from Bondi.

big hit!

Bench
There are lots of titans in Greek mythology. There is an ocean titan in Greek mythology called Okeanos (Oceanus).
d74bfc2525bfde4dff895104f6957c87.jpg

don't understand the relationship between GC and greek mythology and so the name titans. i guess it didn't seem important to Brisbane Broncos, but Denver were one of the most well-known NFL brands even here in Australia in the 1980s as they were one of the most competitive AFC teams with John Elway as QB. Nashville, where the Tennessee Titans are based, is referred to the Athens of the South, due to a full-scale replica of the Parthenon and also, the number of educational institutions in the city. just doesn't fit GC for me.