What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

jim_57

Staff member
As if they haven't already done enough hard work

I understand that, but just because they put in effort years ago doesn't make Central Coast a good bussiness decision for expanding the NRL. The latest approach of trying to latch on to any sniff of an NRL team isn't the right way either. If they bit the bullet and got in 100% behind Adelaide they may be a chance.

Stallion

First Grade
Genuine question, what do the Bears actually do to have a claim for the Central Coast these days? I may be wrong but it kind of feels like they claim it as theirs even while grasping at Gold Coast/Perth etc and not actually doing much for the Central Coast.

Fair call. Might have to quiz Greg Florimo about that one! Their presence in Gosford was quite significant a while ago. Even to the extent that the coloured seating pattern on the eastern seated area has repeated BEARS wording along its entire length. So yes. Not clear what the Bears are doing lately .

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fair call. Might have to quiz Greg Florimo about that one! Their presence in Gosford was quite significant a while ago. Even to the extent that the coloured seating pattern on the eastern seated area has repeated BEARS wording along its entire length. So yes. Not clear what the Bears are doing lately .

Nothing is the answer. As soon as grant announced there would be no chance of expansion in 2013the bears pulled the pin on CC.

Stallion

First Grade
Nothing is the answer. As soon as grant announced there would be no chance of expansion in 2013the bears pulled the pin on CC.

If so, the BEARS are showing a haphazard approach to re entering the NRL. Instead of "clutching at straws" they should be presenting a more than compelling case with the Central Coast and North Sydney as major markets for a further strengthening of the code. The West Coast Pirates approach exhibits patience and development. This would impress a code looking to add to its league. The BEARS have been noting the voices of relatively poor administrators as sacrosanct . If you have a purpose it must be solid. Just like the West Coast Pirates appear to.be!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I've got a great idea for both Perth and the Bears.

Perth: Continue to build the Pirates brand that they have worked so hard to do. Continue to push into NSW Cup and then hopefully in to the NRL in 2022 / 2023. They are clearly the leading bid in a region that is one of the next into the NRL.

Bears: F@#k off to NSW Cup and look after Rugby League in your area - North Sydney! Because from all reports, the game there is suffering in your area whilst you bat your eyelids at every expansion bid like a gold digger or chase the ambulance of every sick NRL club with the hope of playing in the NRL. The remnants of the old BRL have shown in the QLD Cup that iconic RL brands can do very well in the second teir, these days more than ever with TV coverage. So how about doing the game a real favour and fix North Sydney instead of being the Perth-Gold Coast-Central Coast-North Sydney-Adelaide Bear Pirates with Red Tits!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I've got a great idea for both Perth and the Bears.

Perth: Continue to build the Pirates brand that they have worked so hard to do. Continue to push into NSW Cup and then hopefully in to the NRL in 2022 / 2023. They are clearly the leading bid in a region that is one of the next into the NRL.

Bears: F@#k off to NSW Cup and look after Rugby League in your area - North Sydney! Because from all reports, the game there is suffering in your area whilst you bat your eyelids at every expansion bid like a gold digger or chase the ambulance of every sick NRL club with the hope of playing in the NRL. The remnants of the old BRL have shown in the QLD Cup that iconic RL brands can do very well in the second teir, these days more than ever with TV coverage. So how about doing the game a real favour and fix North Sydney instead of being the Perth-Gold Coast-Central Coast-North Sydney-Adelaide Bear Pirates with Red Tits!!

Well put, Stallion goes on about the drop in Jnr numbers in NS and the only remedy being an NRL club called the Bears. And yet other areas with no NRL club are seeing Jnr numbers increase? Maybe more effort and focus by the NS Bears would remedy the problem?

I don't blame them for wanting to be back in the big time but they have totally gone about it the wrong way from day 1. Not helped by a clueless NRL.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Well put, Stallion goes on about the drop in Jnr numbers in NS and the only remedy being an NRL club called the Bears. And yet other areas with no NRL club are seeing Jnr numbers increase? Maybe more effort and focus by the NS Bears would remedy the problem?

I don't blame them for wanting to be back in the big time but they have totally gone about it the wrong way from day 1. Not helped by a clueless NRL.

This is a great point. Interest surges in places like Logan and Ipswich in SEQ without an NRL presence, I'm not familiar with Sydney but if the AFL can increase interest with two clubs, then we can do it with nine surely - there doesn't have to be an NRL club in every suburb. The NRL / NSWRL just need an organised approach to growing the game both within and outside of the heartlands and the NSW Cup and local Sydney comps have a vital role to play in that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can anyone cut and paste the telegraph article from 23rd with Puddy on the Perth expansion plan? It looks in the snippet like he is committed to backing a Perth bid.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Doesn’t sound like Puddy intends to join forces with the Bears

Puddy said he recently accepted a request to meet with the North Sydney Bears expansion team who want to amalgamate bids, ‘out of respect’.

However, he added, “I don’t feel right wearing two hats, I can’t be giving them advice and paddling my own canoe.

“They know I’m pursuing a Perth-based team, but they want to pursue having the Bears brand and I can’t be party to that.

“Is there support for the Reds in Perth, of course there is.

“The Western Australian people are crying out for rugby league. And contrary to belief, we were successful.

“Had it not been for the Super League war, we’d still be there today.

“Right now, the people of Perth just want an answer, one way or another."

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...03107afdba73c673805e8b12ae0a6d9b?from=htc_rss

Diesel

Referee
“Is there support for the Reds in Perth, of course there is.”

Sounds like he’s wanting a Reds team in the NRL, not the WCP

Reactions: Vee

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who was behind the change in mascot? I remember at the time you were pissed off

WARL as was. I was pssed as the WARL had encouraged us to form a supporters group and I spent a fair bit of money on it and red army merch, flags etc which we gave out to kids at games etc, then they changed to Pirates without any consideration of what we had set up and spent.

Reactions: Vee

davi

Juniors
I'm pretty meh on the idea of the Bears merging with a Perth bid, but I think that Perth doesn't need the Bears to be a viable option in the short term and that will go against any Bears bid.

They'd be better off trying to get in with a place like Adelaide that needs the extra assistance if they are going to be a hope of expansion any time soon, that'd make the Bears bid much more attractive.

I think the Bears touching any other state apart from NSW is a really bad idea. It was the criticism of the Seagulls that really sinks the Bears expanding. Queenslanders thought seagulls were a NSW team so they wouldn't support them and the New South Welshmen thought they were a Queenslanders team so they wouldn't support them.

Bears touching any other state and having a "shared history" with North Sydney reeks. If Bears want to try for Gosford then good luck to him, but them latching on to any potential bid or change of ownership in other states just for the sake of pleasing a couple of North Sydney fans who will never attend any of their home games inter-state is lame.

King hit

Coach
I think the Bears touching any other state apart from NSW is a really bad idea. It was the criticism of the Seagulls that really sinks the Bears expanding. Queenslanders thought seagulls were a NSW team so they wouldn't support them and the New South Welshmen thought they were a Queenslanders team so they wouldn't support them.

Bears touching any other state and having a "shared history" with North Sydney reeks. If Bears want to try for Gosford then good luck to him, but them latching on to any potential bid or change of ownership in other states just for the sake of pleasing a couple of North Sydney fans who will never attend any of their home games inter-state is lame.

Not Bears related but I was at Tweed Heads yesterday and decided to see the Seagulls club and the site of the old stadium. Would’ve been a decent stadium and the location is quite picturisque right next to the Tweed river. Would’ve been a nightmare to drive to though. It’s a housing estate now.

Did you ever attend a game at Seagulls stadium Davi?

"If Bears want to try for Gosford then good luck to him"

"but them latching on to any potential bid or change of ownership in other states just for the sake of pleasing a couple of North Sydney fans "

I knew their fan base was decimated but didn't know it was that bad.

davi

Juniors
Not Bears related but I was at Tweed Heads yesterday and decided to see the Seagulls club and the site of the old stadium. Would’ve been a decent stadium and the location is quite picturisque right next to the Tweed river. Would’ve been a nightmare to drive to though. It’s a housing estate now.

No I never did, funny enough the only game the Seagulls ever beat the Broncos I missed I was at a high school social. They showed the final result on the big screen and there was a cheer from everyone of the shock upset.

RedVee

First Grade
Couldn’t the Bears been based at Seagulls at one stage?
I seem to remember they had a relationship for s while but then the Seagulls Club got into difficulties due to Qld getting pokies. Am I remembering correctly?

horrie hastings

First Grade

It was a good ground to watch footy at, so close to the action and then straight back to the club after the game.

Dakink

Bench

I did a number of times... was a nightmare to get in n and out of.