What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast on Agenda

Victor Trumper

Juniors
Dogs Of War said:
dimitri said:
and I believe would have been much more successful if given a chance and if they were playing at a rectangle shaped stadium

That's what Melbourne needs, the crowd seems to be a bit far from the action, looks similar to the showground as a venue. Bring the fans closer to the action and I reckon the crowds would increase. Can anything (or is anything) being down in relation to this?

I heard somewhere that the Victorian government are planning on upgrading Melbournes ground in order to stage the Union 7's there when they host the Commonwealth games. However I don't know if the athletics track is to be removed or just the facilities improved.

Knightmare

Coach
eels2win said:
Two conferences:

Conference A (Greater Sydney):
Balmain Tigers
Canterbury Bulldogs
Cronulla Sharks
Eastern Suburbs Roosters
Illawarra Steelers
Manly Sea Eagles
North Sydney Bears
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
South Sydney Rabbitohs
St George Dragons
Western Suburbs Magpies

Conference B (Non-Sydney):
Adelaide Rams
Auckland Warriors
Brisbane Broncos
Canberra Raiders
Central Coast Jets
Gold Coast Seagulls
Melbourne Storm
Newcastle Knights
North Queensland Cowboys
South Queensland Crushers
Wellington Kiwis
Western Reds

That's 12 teams per conference. Play each team in your own conference twice. That's 22 weeks. 3 weeks in the middle for SOO + 1 week in the middle for test match (either NZ or GB). Comes to 26 weeks.

Finals consist of top four from each conference.

I like your thinking! But why not have it like the English Premier League, with the two lowest teams from the NRL Premier League relegated to NRL First Grade, and vice-versa. Going on current form and setting up of expansion teams, the comp could look something like this:

NRL PREMIER LEAGUE
1. Eastern Sydney Roosters
2. Canberra Raiders
3. Newcastle Knights
4. Canterbury-Liverpool Bulldogs
5. Penrith Panthers
6. New Zealand Warriors
7. Melbourne Storm
8. Parramatta Eels
9. Brisbane Broncos
10. St George-Illawarra Dragons
11. North Queensland Cowboys
12. Cronulla Sharks

NRL FIRST GRADE
1. South Sydney Rabbitohs
2. Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
3. Central Coast Bears
4. Redcliffe Dolphins
5. Balmain Tigers
6. Newtown Jets
7. Gold Coast Chargers
8. Adelaide Rams
9. Western Suburbs Magpies
10. Darwin Goannas
11. Western Reds
12. Hobart (Tasmanian) Devils

This way, all the traditional rivalries are still there, with room for expansion. There is also the benefit of a shorter season for both comps, and a more level playing field. :D

Latest posts