What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast or Ipswich?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Not a bad idea, but as I stated in another thread, I don't think it can happen as Im sure that the QLD govt would have got some kind of legal assurances that the Titans would stay on the Gold Coast for x years before they built them that $170 million stadium a couple of years back..

pHyR3

Juniors
jets, but i doubt itll happen.

hopefully koukash saves em. Tigers are a no go, sharks are doing fine and just need a major sponsor (if they dont already have one) and the knights are getting things sorted too.

and he desparately wants an NRL club so it will be one of the 2 new ones in 2018 or the titans. im guessing the NRL is just figuring out whats best for the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Last two seasons, raiders, sharks, penrith, manly and wests had lower crowds than Titans. It is known wests and St's need NRL handouts. Give the region to the Suns? Please do me a favour. There are plenty of candidates for relocation before you'd consider moving the Titans.

insert.pause

First Grade
this same bs rumour has been floating around for at least 3 years now, Smith only came out a couple months ago guaranteeing the club on the gold coast.

It's not a choice between the GC or Ipswich, the game can have both and Smith has made the point that the NRL wants to grow rugby league in Qld with more content, not shrink it.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
If the worst comes to pass for the Titans and the only options are fold or relocate then Ipswich makes sense, but in any other situation it seems like a wasted opportunity on the GC to me.

Lots of mistakes have been made by the Titans or concerning the Titans, but they're not a lost cause yet and giving up on them so easily would be a travesty and would prove to me at least that RL will never grow much outside of the boarders that it currently exists in.

Silly idea considering the Raiders draw the worst crowds in the competition yet no-one is asking for them to relocate. But when it's the Titans and not a 'heartland' team it's fine to do so and as a result concede defeat to AFL. Typical, mind the heartlands and not care about anywhere else it's why rugby league it where it's at 100+ years.

Insular, narrow-minded thinking holding the game down once more.

papabear

Juniors
Look at the TV Perth red the titans crowds are the lowest they just post garbage numbers like gws

BuffaloRules

Coach
Look at the TV Perth red the titans crowds are the lowest they just post garbage numbers like gws

This crowd line comes out every f**king time, when it's clearly obvious their figures are bogus.

The Titans and Suns are both in a contest to see who can fudge the crowds the most...

The Great Dane

First Grade
Silly idea considering the Raiders draw the worst crowds in the competition yet no-one is asking for them to relocate. But when it's the Titans and not a 'heartland' team it's fine to do so and as a result concede defeat to AFL. Typical, mind the heartlands and not care about anywhere else it's why rugby league it where it's at 100+ years.

Insular, narrow-minded thinking holding the game down once more.

Firstly, as has been stated already crowds aren't the only thing to consider when looking into the success of a club.

Secondly, few people outside of Canberra consider Canberra a heartland!

Hell I can remember watching NRL 360 and seeing Paul Kent and Willie Mason berating the NRL for giving Canberra the ANZAC test in 2013 because "the game should have been given to heartlands one the front lines against the AFL, or smaller heartlands that could use the publicity".

I can also remember Matty Johns, Ray Hadley, Fatty and Ray Warren all saying similar things about Canberra not being a "true heartland" and only one of them was contested on that point (Gordon Tallis got up Johns for saying Canberra wasn't a heartland).

If you really felt that you had to argue the "heartland bias" argument why wouldn't you use some of the obvious examples out of Sydney instead of some half baked connection to the situation here in Canberra?!

Perth Red

Post Whore
You don't think the NRL would have a problem with ithem making up attendances? Pro my knowledge the NRL has not had to give them any extra funding. By what criteria are you suggesting they need to be relocated and are you suggesting other clubs in same or worse situation should also be relocated? All the sht clubs have some plus, manly RU battle and North shore presence, wests population, st's locations, cronulla ermmmm, penrith jnrs, Titans afl battle and Qland content etc etc.

Titans are by no means the worse club for crowds, members or finances.

The Great Dane

First Grade
This crowd line comes out every f**king time, when it's clearly obvious their figures are bogus.

The Titans and Suns are both in a contest to see who can fudge the crowds the most...

Whether or not their crowds are fudged it's still a stupid argument, a club can be a successful and sustainable business whether or not their crowds are considered big or not.

Also the size of a crowd and whether or not it's considered a good size is subject to circumstances.

Most of the time that the crowds argument gets trotted out it's a stupid argument.

BuffaloRules

Coach
You don't think the NRL would have a problem with ithem making up attendances? Pro my knowledge the NRL has not had to give them any extra funding. By what criteria are you suggesting they need to be relocated and are you suggesting other clubs in same or worse situation should also be relocated? All the sht clubs have some plus, manly RU battle and North shore presence, wests population, st's locations, cronulla ermmmm, penrith jnrs, Titans afl battle and Qland content etc etc.

Titans are by no means the worse club for crowds, members or finances.

I wouldnt be surprised if the NRL would be encouraging them to report bogus crowds...

Tell me, do you believe the crowd figures the Suns and GWS are announicing?

This Gold Coast battle is the front line of AFL and NRL at the moment, and a lot of propaganda is being tossed around..

I've said the Titans won't be relocated for the sole reason that the QLD govt would never give the NRL a dime of money again for a stadium if they moved them...

But they have been a disappointing failure...the biggest basket case in the League for mine... They add the least to the competition in my view... Hope it changes but I am not confident...

Im surprised you are not death riding them to get Perth in the comp which always seems your primary motivation...

Will be interesting if you feel the same way if they miss out again..

alien

Referee
i think they should keep a club on the goldcoast but it just needs to be managed better. there should also be a 2nd brissy team like we had before all those years ago

bobmar28

Bench
The Gold Coast has a population of more than 1/2 million. Why hand that region to AFL?

The Titans must stay where they are and the Ipswich Jets to be the next QLD team.

Titanic

First Grade
The largest issues at the Titans have been that Michael Searle's monopoly over the direction the franchise was allowed to take and the incredibly soft attitude that the media took to him and John Cartwright. The vaste majority of our off-field woes started and finished with Searle and the on-field woes with Cartwright, yet the media continuously built them up as the league visionary and his sidekick the master coach. A chat to some of the players will tell you what they were able to get away with.

Both of those have largely been addressed and the battle-lines with the Suns redrawn. Annesley may not be the bees-knees and a large proportion of the community are still undecided whether he cuts it or not but the board now have their feet on the ground, the ties with the junior programs are being reestablished and the playing roster has a more balanced appearance about it.

Relocate or axe the Titans? Wrong ... there is a very good reason that the NRL and the NSWRL before them have tried so hard to keep a team on the Coast and that is that the Coast/Northern Rivers is a rugby league heartland.

As for Ipswich? There is no doubt that there needs to be a second franchise in the Brisbane region but whether Ipswich is the place for it compared to other choices is debatable but not the worst option of the several currently mooted. It would get my vote but I like the potential momentum that the Brotthers bid would bring ... perhaps Ipswich Brothers.

Diesel

Coach
Thr GC needs a full time team, and this not only helps SEQ but also Nthn NSW. If the Titans brand is damaged, it's hard to see how they could rebrand it as another GC team/relocation, the brand is damaged but the need to really work on it to be any success.

The biggest threat to the Broncos would be for all 3 Brisbane bids to combine into one team

oikee

Juniors
When is the penny going to drop.
The Gold Coast is a holiday strip, not a sporting club strip. The only footy teams that should exist on the goldie are feeder teams, like Burliegh and Tweed. You could also put a feeder team around Nerang.

While we have our heartlands like Logan and Ipswich that need to have teams, and play all their games mainly out of Suncorp. Until that happens our code is under-valued, always will be, because people with vision are not allowed to shine in this code.
We have too much dumb running the code.

The simple fact is we need a game from Brisbane Suncorp every weekend, not every second weekend.
And we need the third team so we can enjoy day games as well, like Saturday and Sunday arvo's.

Until this happens, our code is being ripped off by short-sightness.
Forget the faking Gold Coast, even the suns are a nobody while they are on the Goldie.

We dont need a proper NRL team for the Goldie, they only need a Queensland cup feeder teams.

The only time they should ever get a team is if our code introduces a promotion and relegation system like the one they have in the UK.

I cant see that happening, it should, but our minds in this country are not forward enough.
We have the 3 monkey system, see nothing wrong, think nothing wrong, hey presto, it's all gone south something wrong.