What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast or Ipswich?

TheFrog

Coach
The game will eventually move away from the shame of needing pokie machines to find its grass roots.

The game does not need poker machines now. However, clubs do, in order to accommodate the game's appalling business model which requires clubs to shell out the bulk of the game's costs, while media interests and the governing body rake in the $$$.

[/B]

Wayne Bennett has already mentioned the junior development would need to be taken over by the NRL if a draft was introduced.

The only way a draft can be introduced is if players are employed not by the clubs, as at present, but by a governing body, which could then insert a portability clause into player contracts. This would mean transferring all the risks from clubs to the governing body, and would mean the governing body has the power to decide who plays for whom, and by extension who wins the comp every year.

Otherwise someone will challenge it in court and it'll be struck down, just like last time.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
There is a draft in other sports without that need. End of day it will come down to the sweeter the rlpa is offered. Increased salary cap, marquee payments, increase international payments, shorter nrl season etc etc will soon see them roll over.

oikee

Juniors
The only reason i want the draft is for the young players, and the risk of suicide.
Expansion is more important at the moment, and growing the code.
Clubs will just have to handle the juniors better, if that is possible.

I want promotion and relegation to get all states and all expansion areas involved.
Again, i would be happy just to see any expansion of new clubs.

Getting the island teams more involved, again, i agree. How you go about that is up to the NRL.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If a draft was introduced, the NRL would do so with the intention of centralising development (i just dont believe they would be dumb enough to think clubs would maintain the funding).

The funds for this would probably come at least in part from a reduction in club grants; basically removing the middleman.

Centralised development isnt neceserally bad and it definitely has some big benefits, but it would be a massive shift that would need serious planning....

I understand all of that.

It's just the way that he was suggesting that the NRL should just institute a draft in year or so time (like the Newspapers do when they say that the NRL must have a draft) is asinine as it overlooks all the work that would have to be undertaken before the NRL would be at a point where it can have a draft.

BTW, personally I've never really liked the idea of drafts (simply because the idea of forcing someone to live and work somewhere they don't necessarily want to live and work doesn't sit right with me, and the fact that it's a lot harder (to the point that it's almost impossible) for a kid work his/her way through the ranks to one day represent his/her hometown/favorite team if they so wish to seems a shame to me) and as of yet I've never seen a draft that actually spreads out talent more evenly across a competition giving smaller and less successful clubs better talent to help develop their teams and become successful much more quickly then it usually takes to turn a club around, which is literally what a draft is supposed to do.

I mean if drafts were half as good at spreading talent as some people make out that they are the Melbourne demons and the Oakland Raiders would have teams full of champions by now, but I guess that at this point drafts aren't really about spreading talent evenly anymore they're about having another product to sell to the media and the public, and honestly if that's the only reason that we are trying to introduce one then I don't see the point as there're plenty of other products that we could develop and/or copy to sell without introducing what is in my opinion a sham and a shame.

You wrote it, you think it is true.
Everything i write you have to say the opposite. They even wrote a story in the paper today about negative league supporters, trying to put a damper on everything every event, every contest.
I could say the sky was blue, you would try to tell me it's not, it's green.

Again I didn't say the opposite or even the negative, I just said that your suggestions were impractical and that your arguments for your idea and against anybodies else's were largely inconsequential.

But since you don't seem to understand what either impractical or inconsequential means, since you continue to equate them to meaning negative and opposite, then I guess I'm just wasting my time repeating that to you.

Wayne Bennett has already mentioned the junior development would need to be taken over by the NRL if a draft was introduced.

That's good for Wayne Bennett.

Like many things have to change. You cant just click your fingers and ideas are perfect. You have to work on them to make new ideas work.

But introducing a draft isn't changing an idea, it's completely changing the whole god damn system that the NRL uses to develop talent, which I don't really have any problem with changing (even to include a draft, which as I said to The Doctor I'm not really a big fan of), I'm just pointing out that it's a little harder to change then you're making out!

I am not saying a draft is easy,

I never said you were, you are however underestimating just how hard it would be to introduce to the NRL.

but dismissing it is easy.
Dismissing the all-stars game is easy, and the nines, the world club challenge because it is too far to travel, and any other ideas.

I'm not dismissing a draft, nor have I dismissed either the All-Stars or the WCC (though I do believe that both these ideas can and should be developed into better ideas, products and at the end of the day competitions then they currently are and that people shouldn't be afraid to let them develop into better things).

Last edited:

pHyR3

Juniors
"BTW, personally I've never really liked the idea of drafts (simply because the idea of forcing someone to live and work somewhere they don't necessarily want to live and work doesn't sit right with me, and the fact that it's a lot harder (to the point that it's almost impossible) for a kid work his/her way through the ranks to one day represent his/her hometown/favorite team if they so wish to seems a shame to me) and as of yet I've never seen a draft that actually spreads out talent more evenly across a competition giving smaller and less successful clubs better talent to help develop their teams and become successful much more quickly then it usually takes to turn a club around, which is literally what a draft is supposed to do."

I think a voluntary draft would get around both this and the government/legal issues they ran into last time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Personally I don't think a draft is needed or that useful for the nrl. Probably giving expansion clubs some salary cap increase, especially at the reserve grade level would work better.

Melbourne did ok when brought in but only as they had a number of clubs folded that they could cherry pick from. Then they were wise enough to recognise that with just two qland clubs there were plenty of talented players to choose from and set up decent qland scouting systems.
A perth team should be supported with a generous relocation allowance extra in the cap and funding to help build jnr and undr 20's systems. Perth should also be smart and build a relationship with png rl.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I am not normally one to death ride teams but it is just one thing after another with the titans. Maybe its time to swing the axe and end the franchise, give the Bears or another brisbane/west brisbane side ago because i just can't see them turning it around off the field short of winning premierships and fast, which is very very unlikely given there personnal and instability

oikee

Juniors
I am not normally one to death ride teams but it is just one thing after another with the titans. Maybe its time to swing the axe and end the franchise, give the Bears or another brisbane/west brisbane side ago because i just can't see them turning it around off the field short of winning premierships and fast, which is very very unlikely given there personnal and instability

The decision they make with the Titans will tell us one thing.
Are the NRL serious about growing the game, because the Titans are rock bottom. So entering a new club anywhere will create more interest than propping up the Titans for another 20 years.

If the NRL dont make the right call, i wont be taking this code seriously either.
There is only so many times you can stick up for a code that keeps making you look foolish.
If it is the players fault, get rid of them, if it is the club, get rid of them,.
Dont just let one rotten egg after another sit in the hot sun day after day waiting to explode.

We take one step forward, and two steps back.

LJC

Juniors
Clubs overcome crap!
You don't have to get rid of a club to put a new club into the competition.

Their were 22 top flight sides in 1997. The players are there but it seems the NRL is sitting on its hands as far genuine additional team announcements/intentions are concerned and this frustrates many positive fans of the game no end.

Latest posts