What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point Origin 3?

Anonymous

Juniors
Queensland coach Wayne Bennett believes a golden point in next Wednesday night's State of Origin game is pointless. He also says it's potentially an unwanted burden on the rugby league's best players.

A staunch opponent of the golden point from day one, Bennett is concerned extra time could tax players too heavily - especially the 17 selected for a Test against the physical Kiwis nine days later. He said it served no purpose playing extra time with NSW already holding a 2-0 lead and having the interstate series in its keeping.

Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr says the golden point will be used if the scores are level at the end of fulltime.

- www.leagueunlimited.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know it say Test match but Bennett is seemingly concerned about his Broncos players. But the rules are there and he must be aware that its a bit late to complain.

Has Bennett already thrown in the towel for Origin 3? I dont think so but it does look like he coached the Marroons one year too many.

Still, it raises the question of the validity of the Golden point rule yet again and in a technical sense, Bennett is right...

...so whats the point of of going into extra time for SOO III?

~bedsy~

First Grade
So we have a winner. Last yr left an empty feeling in the blues players and even though they will get the trophey back anyway. How would you feel having just drawn a game and then have to hold up a trophey.
Sorry.. but if I was a QLDer I would have been dissapointed last yr, I would rather they had won then had a stupid draw. I completly dissagree with draws in SOO.
On Bennett, he has been whinging about this forever.... I can't stand him whinging little fool.

i can't see what Bennett is complaining about, since i very much doubt that this game is going to be a draw in any case !!

QLD should concentrate on trying to score at least a converted try this time, before they worry about draws !! :)

Seriously though, i hope Hagan is appointed QLD coach next year and then that way they might actually be able to pick a full strength team that might be competitive . . and as a double-bonus, there will be no more whinging from Wayne Bennett!!

salivor

First Grade
Willow said:
Has Bennett already thrown in the towel for Origin 3? I dont think so but it does look like he coached the Marroons one year too many.

I don't think so. He instructed his players before origin 1 that if they had the chance to tie up the game with a penalty goal or field goal not to take it and go for the try to win. From day one hes been opposed to the golden point in the NRL and SOO so I think this is just a continuation of a protest thats being going for half a year now.

El Duque said:
jason_livingstone said:
and as a double-bonus, there will be no more whinging from Wayne Bennett!!

I wouldn't bet on that.

hehe!
what does he have against the GP rule anyway?
I could understand if Brian Smith hated it.
:lol:

...so whats the point of of going into extra time for SOO III?

IMHO I think having a definate winner makes more sense in State of Origin then it does for club matches. Wouldn't we all love to see another 3-0 blue-wash! But I think that Bennett was right about the 'golden point' coming from a try - otherwise its just a test of who has the better drop-kicker! And there's already a game played by the victorians devoted to that . .

Muffdaddy

Juniors
Typical bloody Bennet!!!!!
He gives decent non-whinging Queenslanders a bad name.
I cannot believe that Belcher would even have the gall to say such rubbish. It just fuels the hatred between us and them.
QLD love being the little brother, the underdog.
"Ooooh, we're so ripped off, NSW gets everything their way"
Maybe they should go back and play in the Brisbane comp. Then they can have everything their way.
What a boring little world that would be.
Stop with the inferiority complex and get on with winning games boys.....

LeagueNut

First Grade
You really have to wonder where Wayne Bennett's head is at the moment. He would rather have a 3-0 'bluewash' in the history books than give his players the "golden" opportunity to restore some pride in an otherwise forgettable series??? Makes no sense to me.

Anyway, like you guys I can't see SOO3 even coming close to a draw. Hell, the way Queensland are talking you might even see a no-show for the second half when the score is 40-0 or something ... :shock:

Green Eye

Juniors
Rules are rules people and you can't have a golden point scenario in one game and not another.

Bennett has to take his head out of his ass because he is not doing the game any favours these days by his antics. Gould is a knob no doubt (I know I am going to regret saying this) but at least he is promoting rugby league and the trip to Forster was a positive step even if it was for his own glory in part.

Latest posts