What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Try > Golden Point

MugaB

Coach
Hahahahaha
This makes this topic moot now, when Andrew Johns has the same idea, its dead in the water
What a moron

Pumpkin

Juniors
This annoys me. Golden point is the most exciting part of the game. Golden point is not golden field goal. Essentially the rules of the game haven't changed in GP, you can still score a try to win the game, which often happens and with players rushing up to charge down a FG, there's a "golden" opportunity to spin the ball and score a try. This is a tactic Darren Lockyer often employed. It's actually a higher percentage play because even if you fail, the other team is stuck near their own try line. The FG is a high risk play. If you miss, it's a 7 tackle set to the opposition from the 20 metre line.

If you bring in golden try then essentially you are playing a different sport with different rules to decide a game. That is nonsense. It won't work, it will be boring, it will open up a can of worms, and you will see games go for 90 minutes without a result and all the players I've heard don't want that. They want a result.

Picking up on GongPanther''s point, why wasn't this an issue when Penrith lost 3 games to a FG in GP? So the real issue it seems, is not that you have a problem with GP, but that you desparately wanted to see Newcastle beat the brash Panthers and then you were bitterly disappointed when they just missed out. I'd bet anything you wouldn't have complained if Newcastle kicked the FG to win the game. I'm not a Panthers supporter but I love watching them play because of the high level of football they bring. I marvel at how well they get along despite the vastly differing personalities in the team. It's great. Penrith deserved to win that game because they did everything right in the last 5 minutes of the game and into extra time, whereas Newcastle cracked under the pressure and made many mistakes, including missing a number of field goals.

If anything, Newcastle are entitled to blow up about the hair pull. That was a turning point in the game ( no pun intended). It's just totally ridiculous that you could go to grab a jersey and accidentally get a piece of hair and be penalised. Completely unfair. The rule needs to be changed asap, that if a players hair comes down past the collar, then it becomes part of the jersey.

Apey

Staff member
It's not just brought up when the Panthers win, friend. The discussion has been happening for years, well before anyone gave a f**k about Penrith!

MugaB

Coach
Yeah well this thread was invented a day after the round finished regarding a newy vs penny game which had a dubious amount of calls, which led to a golden point game.... this thread could have been brought up a fortnight prior when no one scored in mudgee during a golden point match.
Fact is golden point is exciting, no matter whos playing, some teams are just not good at preparing for that part of the game, or even have a designated FG kicker... basically the better teams are prepared for those encounters

wain

Juniors
for me, the greatest 'extra time' method of any sport is touch football's drop-off.
In theory, you could keep even field goals an option, but it would be great to do golden try with this.

Having a player (one of the plonker forwards no doubt) leave the field every minute or so would open up the game quickly and result in some great open field play. Imagine the intensity and hype this would bring to a finals match in extra time that gets down to 10 v 10?

Burwood

Bench
Slightly off topic, but in an earlier game this year I recall a side scoring a try in golden point to win the match- players celebrated, but there was no kick for goal attempted, robbing the side of a further 2 points.

Does golden point mean that the game is over as soon as a point is scored? What happens at season’s end if that same team ends up further down the ladder because of their points differential?

MugaB

Coach
Slightly off topic, but in an earlier game this year I recall a side scoring a try in golden point to win the match- players celebrated, but there was no kick for goal attempted, robbing the side of a further 2 points.

Does golden point mean that the game is over as soon as a point is scored? What happens at season’s end if that same team ends up further down the ladder because of their points differential?
Are you talking about storm vs eels? Harry grant scored basically under the post, that easily would be 2 points, but yeah it golden point is 1st point scored ends the match, i think folks want it so its extra time instead, but that just drags out the contest to 90mins of that mudgee game without the win, instead of 81 mins that happen when cleary ended the Newcastle game.. ive always said if you cannot win in the 80 mins provided, then you probably don't deserve to win it

wittyfan

Referee
Golden Point has never satisfactorily worked. But as 9 and Foxtel love it we’re stuck with it. Golden Try though would ant least end boring field goal shootouts.

Black Panther

Juniors
Golden try would be my preferred option. But in saying that I think we are stuck with Golden Point. It does get a bit boring when it becomes a shoot out, however there are a lot of good Field goal masters out there now.

Most people are now getting annoyed with the fact if a team march down field after receiving a kickoff then win the game. But once again, it is also a tactical decision whether to kickoff or receive.

Pumpkin

Juniors
@Apey it has come up in the past, when noone cared about Penrith, but no doubt it would have been for whichever team people didn't like at that time ie for whichever team was having success.

siv

First Grade
Essentially the rules of the game haven't changed in GP
In principal your right

But we all know penalties and 6-agains are never blown in GP

But without the right of reply option, a draw at 80 min is a much farer result

A team who comes from behind to draw at 80 min, doesn't deserve to get a option to win in GP

Unless its a knockout/finals game

Pumpkin

Juniors
In principal your right

But we all know penalties and 6-agains are never blown in GP

But without the right of reply option, a draw at 80 min is a much farer result

A team who comes from behind to draw at 80 min, doesn't deserve to get a option to win in GP

Unless its a knockout/finals game
If 6 again or penalties are not called in GP then that's a fault of the referee. Personally, I've never quite understood the 6 again rule. It seems quite subjective, it's up to the discretion of the referee. But that's a debate for another day.

You are not making any sense. " A team that draws in the 80th minute doesn't deserve the option to win in GP". What are you talking about? Why not? The game goes for 80 minutes doesn't it?

And you said you are willing to allow it in a knockout/finals game. Why is that? You've deemed it to be unfair, so why should it be allowed in knockout/finals games.

T-Boon

Coach
Golden Point has never satisfactorily worked. But as 9 and Foxtel love it we’re stuck with it. Golden Try though would ant least end boring field goal shootouts.
I think golden point highlights just how stupidly easy it is to do one out hit ups and get from one end of the field to the other.

MugaB

Coach
I think golden point highlights just how stupidly easy it is to do one out hit ups and get from one end of the field to the other.
Well if your a team thats bad at it, don't let it get to a draw at 80 minute mark

siv

First Grade
And you said you are willing to allow it in a knockout/finals game. Why is that? You've deemed it to be unfair, so why should it be allowed in knockout/finals games.
This is because in finals games, you must have a winner

Though 2 x 10 min Extra time first is fair

In finals all games are seeded

So for finals I would prefer after Extra Time the higher ranked team is declared the winner

Lower ranked team needs to win

Brings back importance on the comp table for first 2 weeks of the finals

Rod

Bench
We have the same debate every year about golden point and there's always controversy. I mean the simple solution is to get rid of it altogether but the fans wont like it. I wouldnt care either way now, but I liked the draw with Manly and Newcastle. Both teams deserved it in the end.
Funnily enough this game, rather than the Panthers one, is the better argument against golden point. It was 10 minutes of crap footy and terrible field goal attempts. Both teams were exhausted.

I think a draw at 80 minutes is ok but as others have mentioned that will never happen. Golden try with the possibility of winning with a field goal if you're willing to take the risk is the best of an imperfect bunch.

aussie7798

First Grade
Golden try for sure as it gives the refs the ability to award a penalty when required without it being the end of the match. Penalty goal or field goal still have purpose as if you are ahead at the end of 90 minutes you win.

Pumpkin

Juniors
That won't work. If it's 20 all and they go into golden try and one team kicks 3 penalty goals then it's 26-20. Then the other team scores a try and they win the game even though they are losing 26-24. That would be absurd.