What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gordon To Leave…

Panther67

Juniors
There is news going around that Micky Gordon is poised to leave Panthers to Sharks or Roosters. There has been news of Gordon going to Roosters or Sharks in the past. Thoughts???

Id leave if i was him. He's the best fullback at the club and doesn't picked there but also worse then that he's better then all the rubbish centres that get picked ahead of him.

Big Mick

Referee
Yawn....

I'll believe it when it happens.

All talk is bullshit and that's what I'll take it as. End of discussion.

Doomednow

Bench
Wouldn't surprise me if he left, and I'd be upset if he did, but would any club pick him up at the moment? He missed most of last season and is out for this one, too. Hardly the time for him to leave based on not getting selected in his preferred position.

Big Mick

Referee
The fact of the matter is he isn't worth his asking price.

That is three years in a row now with significant injuries and he'll be 30 next year.

He's only got a good..what...2-3 years left.

And when your primary asset is speed...that is the FIRST thing to go with leg injuries and age.

So if he is adament that he wants $375k or whatever a year...I say thanks but no thanks...we have Coote, Moylan, Mansour etc...we have replacements ready. We have George Jennings, Tony Satini waiting in the wings...we are NOT desperate and shouldn't just act like supporters here.

It is a business and unless we want to be like our previous administration who acted like fans and distributed contracts to players who are not worth what they received then we shouldn't be re-signing Gordon for the money he was asking for.

Would we regret it for 1-2 years...yeah maybe...but not after that...and by then everyone will be bitching and moaning if he re-signs that he is on overs and he has lost it and why did we re-sign him and "I've said all along we shouldn't of re-signed him" even though that same person said "We need to do everything to re-sign him or I wont be a supporter any more".

penrithmob 65

Juniors
Considering he 1 of only 2 players in the squad with the ability to turn a game around he is a must signing.We just extended contract s of a half and center who are lucky to make a line a break every 5 games combined.
Mick has not been on large contracts in his time with us

franklin2323

Immortal
Agreed. He will be 30 next year. At his age we shouldn't pay overs. We have Coote 22. Mansour 22. Moylan 21 to play fullback.

The only person thinks Simmons & Tighe are our best wingers is Cleary. Robinson, Mansour, Uaisele & Vaivai are all better. So we can't compare them sucking to having no wingers.

Not to mention Moss, Jennings & Satini from the 20's can do the job. Watene-Zelinak from ball in a few years could be pushing also.

I would rather go hard for backrowers we don't have. Teo or Williams would be top of the list.

betcats

Referee
Yeah i idont wanna spend to much to play him on the wing, ill still be dissapointed if he leaves but thats footy.

Panfas

Juniors
Wow, this again!?

Some points:
Mick WANTS to stay
Penrith WANT to keep Mick
The Salary cap will increase next year by a large figure
Mick wants to secure his family's future

Add all of these up and and I can see Mick staying at Penrith on a 3 year $1.1m deal ($366k per year), or a long term 4 year contract worth about $1.4m ($350k per year), which is far higher than what he is currently on and assuming is what he is looking for and what we can afford

Panfas

Juniors
Assuming the salary cap increases to $6.5m

2012 salary cap - $4.4m
2012 avg salary - $176k
2012 Mick's est salary - $250k, or 5.68% of the cap

2013 salary cap - $6.5m
2013 avg salary - $250k
2013 Mick's est salary @ 5.68% of cap - $369,200

So I cant see how $350k plus is too much for Mick, considering what he has given to the club both on and off the field

betcats

Referee
Wow, this again!?

Some points:
Mick WANTS to stay
Penrith WANT to keep Mick
The Salary cap will increase next year by a large figure
Mick wants to secure his family's future

Add all of these up and and I can see Mick staying at Penrith on a 3 year $1.1m deal ($366k per year), or a long term 4 year contract worth about $1.4m ($350k per year), which is far higher than what he is currently on and assuming is what he is looking for and what we can afford

Yeah thats all fairly simple, now throw in 23 other players wants and salaries as well as any potential signings and our juniors that we have coming through and it gets a bit more complicated.

age.s

First Grade
The fact of the matter is he isn't worth his asking price.

That is three years in a row now with significant injuries and he'll be 30 next year.

He's only got a good..what...2-3 years left.

And when your primary asset is speed...that is the FIRST thing to go with leg injuries and age.

So if he is adament that he wants $375k or whatever a year...I say thanks but no thanks...we have Coote, Moylan, Mansour etc...we have replacements ready. We have George Jennings, Tony Satini waiting in the wings...we are NOT desperate and shouldn't just act like supporters here.

It is a business and unless we want to be like our previous administration who acted like fans and distributed contracts to players who are not worth what they received then we shouldn't be re-signing Gordon for the money he was asking for.

Would we regret it for 1-2 years...yeah maybe...but not after that...and by then everyone will be bitching and moaning if he re-signs that he is on overs and he has lost it and why did we re-sign him and "I've said all along we shouldn't of re-signed him" even though that same person said "We need to do everything to re-sign him or I wont be a supporter any more".

Take the injuries out and you could say very similar things about Luke Lewis.

Saying he's not worth his asking price because of previous injuries is no different to saying he's worth whatever he asks for because he's been one of the best fullbacks in the comp over the last few years. The effect his most recent injury will have on his ability to perform isn't known yet, at least not by most of us. What is known is that he's the best fullback the club has by some distance, is remarkably consistent and has come back from injuries before.

His primary asset isn't speed anymore and it hasn't been for a few years. His primary asset is his leg drive and his ability to shrug off tackles. If there is an argument for not signing him it's that his injuries seem to come from executing his strengths. That could be coincidence or it could be that he's pushing his body too hard in a way he shouldn't.

He's a gun player and will likely have a few more years playing great footy, which coincidentally is the amount of time many of these gun juniors we keep hearing about will need to truly adapt to first grade. I'll be incredibly disappointed if he leaves, we shouldn't just be ok with meekly letting one of our best players go because we have juniors that might be great in several years time.

Big Mick

Referee
Assuming the salary cap increases to $6.5m

2012 salary cap - $4.4m
2012 avg salary - $176k
2012 Mick's est salary - $250k, or 5.68% of the cap

2013 salary cap - $6.5m
2013 avg salary - $250k
2013 Mick's est salary @ 5.68% of cap - $369,200

So I cant see how $350k plus is too much for Mick, considering what he has given to the club both on and off the field

If we are working on assumptions on salary cap increases then we are in trouble.

What if we sign him to $370k a year and the cap stays around the $5m mark...what then? We have 10% of our cap wrapped up in a winger/centre who is 30 years old with a history of knee injuries.

On top of that...you are not factoring in the fact the minimum salary will be nearly doubling under the new CBA and new salary cap regime. This has ALREADY been said to be happening. So instead of around $75k the minimum salary will be $125k at least.

So therefore you may think you'll have a heap more salary room but the fact of the matter is all your minimum contracts will be growing at a rate faster than the top contracts.

Big Mick

Referee
Considering he 1 of only 2 players in the squad with the ability to turn a game around he is a must signing.We just extended contract s of a half and center who are lucky to make a line a break every 5 games combined.
Mick has not been on large contracts in his time with us

Do people honestly believe players are like on the same amount.

That half and centre were re-signed at extremely reasonable cap values and will be on about a third of Gordon's asking price.

That is a fact.

Big Mick

Referee
Take the injuries out and you could say very similar things about Luke Lewis.

Saying he's not worth his asking price because of previous injuries is no different to saying he's worth whatever he asks for because he's been one of the best fullbacks in the comp over the last few years. The effect his most recent injury will have on his ability to perform isn't known yet, at least not by most of us. What is known is that he's the best fullback the club has by some distance, is remarkably consistent and has come back from injuries before.

His primary asset isn't speed anymore and it hasn't been for a few years. His primary asset is his leg drive and his ability to shrug off tackles. If there is an argument for not signing him it's that his injuries seem to come from executing his strengths. That could be coincidence or it could be that he's pushing his body too hard in a way he shouldn't.

He's a gun player and will likely have a few more years playing great footy, which coincidentally is the amount of time many of these gun juniors we keep hearing about will need to truly adapt to first grade. I'll be incredibly disappointed if he leaves, we shouldn't just be ok with meekly letting one of our best players go because we have juniors that might be great in several years time.

LOL so take injuries out of it? Comparing Gordon to Lewis despite Lewis' size and ability to transition to the backrow...something there is no way Gordon will be able to do due to his size..

Ok...well firstly that makes zero sense but I'll play along.

It is that unknown you are speaking of that is the reason behind not offering top dollar. Noone knows how he'll return from yet another injury...and noone knows what he'll be worth when he returns from yet another injury. It is called minimizing your risk. And what you are saying is that because he has come back from 2-3 injuries before...that he'll come back from this one...then the next one...then the next one. Eventually they catch up...and that is the time everyone would be bitching and moaning that he is "overpaid"...guaranteed.

And your next point proves my point I've been saying for ages. His style is conducive to injuries. If he was more like Slater and submitted more he'd be a hell of a lot more durable. But it doesn't look as fancy as running the ball back like Martin Lang...but also means your body gets beaten up.

As for your last point...so you'd be content with guys like George Jennings and Tony Satini leaving here and having great careers elsewhere because we keep Gordon for 2 years?

Imagine the uproar if we let one of those kids go...and he becomes an origin player...you know what the BS line will be here "Damn our recruitment and retention...can't keep our good juniors...we bring in scrubs rah rah rah, we kept Gordon for $400k a year and should have kept Jennings' brother rah rah rah".

And you KNOW that is EXACTLY how some here will react.

And lastly...who cares right now what happens....noone knows what will happen. For all we know Flash will give a home team discount and resign for a reasonable cap number of like $300k a year acknowledging the risk of his injury and acknowledging our wanting to keep him. It is negotiation time...there is always back and forth and his manager is putting it out there that teams are interested when in reality noone has offered him a contract.

All this talk means exactly how many points we've scored in the last 180 minutes.

age.s

First Grade
LOL so take injuries out of it? Comparing Gordon to Lewis despite Lewis' size and ability to transition to the backrow...something there is no way Gordon will be able to do due to his size..

Ok...well firstly that makes zero sense but I'll play along.

My point was Lewis is the same age. Your argument against Gordon mostly revolved around injuries, age and the fear of losing juniors. If I said we shouldn't resign Lewis because he's going to be 30 next year and we might lose VTK would anyone agree with me? I doubt it. (not suggesting that for a second btw)

Where each of them plays isn't relevant. They're our two best players, we should be looking to hang on Gordon like we would if it was Lewis. Yes even if we do have to pay market rate for him.

It is that unknown you are speaking of that is the reason behind not offering top dollar. Noone knows how he'll return from yet another injury...and noone knows what he'll be worth when he returns from yet another injury. It is called minimizing your risk. And what you are saying is that because he has come back from 2-3 injuries before...that he'll come back from this one...then the next one...then the next one. Eventually they catch up...and that is the time everyone would be bitching and moaning that he is "overpaid"...guaranteed.

There's always risk when resigning a player. Let him go and there's a "risk" he'll kill it for the Sharks for the next three years. Sign someone else for 375k and there's a risk they go garbage or get injured as well. The question is whether the player is worth the risk, and a guy as good as Flash who has a proven ability to come back from injury is someone who I feel is worth it. Not to mention that, given he's apparently happy at the club the Sharks (or whoever) would have to tack a bit on to any offer to make it worthwhile.

And your next point proves my point I've been saying for ages. His style is conducive to injuries. If he was more like Slater and submitted more he'd be a hell of a lot more durable. But it doesn't look as fancy as running the ball back like Martin Lang...but also means your body gets beaten up.

Yeah maybe. There might be a way of mitigating that risk (coaching him on when to run hard and when to submit, strengthening his legs idk) but it is a concern.

As for your last point...so you'd be content with guys like George Jennings and Tony Satini leaving here and having great careers elsewhere because we keep Gordon for 2 years?

Imagine the uproar if we let one of those kids go...and he becomes an origin player...you know what the BS line will be here "Damn our recruitment and retention...can't keep our good juniors...we bring in scrubs rah rah rah, we kept Gordon for $400k a year and should have kept Jennings' brother rah rah rah".

And you KNOW that is EXACTLY how some here will react.

Why can't we do both? Plenty of clubs manage to keep a couple of marquee signings while holding on to the best of their young talent. If these juniors are as good as everyone says they are we won't be able to keep them all anyway.

The uproar will be no less deafening if Flash goes to the Sharks, destroys as fullback and wins the series for NSW there, all of which he's entirely capable of. Or if Coote's groin injury reoccurs (this time last year we were calling Coote injury prone) and we stick David Simmons at fullback.

Besides we shouldn't be retaining players based on how risky it is that management will look bad. We should be deciding based on whether the player will bring performances that are worth what they're being paid. There's every chance Gordon will be able to do that.

And lastly...who cares right now what happens....noone knows what will happen. For all we know Flash will give a home team discount and resign for a reasonable cap number of like $300k a year acknowledging the risk of his injury and acknowledging our wanting to keep him. It is negotiation time...there is always back and forth and his manager is putting it out there that teams are interested when in reality noone has offered him a contract.

All this talk means exactly how many points we've scored in the last 180 minutes.

Don't disagree with any of this. Some sharks fan puts it up as a done deal and we're all running scared :crazy: Could be complete garbage, but it does appear that Coote had the inside running for the Fullback job before Gordon's injury, and I've always believed that we'll lose one of them.

I actually agree that it's a matter of what the Sharks are willing to pay him. It's just that given they have Gardner and several other marquee players I can't see them offering money far and above what he's worth (a la Parra and Sandow). I don't believe we're just going to let him go though.

mxlegend99

Referee
If the club loses Gordon next season, I certainly won't be renewing my membership. He has been our best player in 90% of the games he has played since 2010, and while he has had a couple of injuries that have sidelined him for 2-3s of last season, and all of this season so far... he's still going to come back and instantly be our best and most reliable back.

There's always a chance he'll pick up another injury. But every player is a risk of being injured. IMO he's worth the risk and losing him would be the mistake. IMO you could pay up to $400k a season and between what he will deliver in the future and has already delivered in the past it's not overs. Especially with a cap increase coming.

Latest posts