What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gordon To Leave…

We have one of the smaller fan groups on here but its a shit load better then PI.
We are all angry about Flash leaving but most of us could feel it happening and no one here has bagged him for it.
I think we have to lock up our good young players Austin, Coote, Seijka ect and ride this out

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah the main difference is you can't have any debate at PI. Here's it's fine. That crap is uncalled for. I could understand if he did an SBW or bagged the club out. He did neither.

Sad as it is. We now have $300k to use to re-sign. We should make Weston next priority. Then Achurch & go from there. We lost Both Gordon's. Paulo. Gibb. Wakeman. Should lose Earl & Seluini. So plenty of spots left on the 30man squad. Siejka's signed until 2014.

Imo NYC should go 1st Moss & the left side. Sene-lafeo, Robinson & Moylan upgrades. The rest should be wait & see.

DC_fan

Coach
Don't worry about Gordon leaving. You have the perfect replacement in Josh Mansour. He is going to be special. I have been singing his praises for a few years. I wish he was still at Souths.

DC_fan

Coach
The only thing Gordon has over Mansour is that the the former can kick goals and is very good at it.

DC_fan

Coach
The only thing? Mansour looks very promising but until he can break the line & return the ball like Gordon lets not get to far ahead of ourselves.

Trust me on this one. Mansour is going to be a very good player for Penrith and you will soon forget Gordon.

Big Mick

Referee
The only thing? Mansour looks very promising but until he can break the line & return the ball like Gordon lets not get to far ahead of ourselves.

To me he looks exactly like Gordon when he runs.

He is shifty on his feet like Gordon, always beats his first man, and he has that same move as Gordon where he gets in at dummy half...shifts past the first man...and runs sideways and sidesteps into the defensive line and manages to drag the guys tackling him 3-4m with his head poking through the defense.

To me he is showing the exact same curve as Gordon did when coming into grade.

Will he be Gordon?...probably not...but $300k difference...probably not.

I will be rooting for Flash next year like everyone on here will be as we all love the guy. But Mansour is doing all the right things...I love his story, his play and his attitude. He is unselfish and just wanting an opportunity. And so far he has shown tremendous athleticism to score two extremely athletic tries in only 3 first grade games.

Not getting ahead of ourselves sure, but he is an exciting player and showing himself to be a contributor at the very least. And if he is a contributor then he is part of the total cog of the team dynamic....and that's what we need.

mxlegend99

Referee
Mansour is a long way from being the player that Flash is. But he certainly has that potential in him. His try last night was absolutely amazing... I look forward to watching him hopefully developing into a consistent and high quality first grader. I just hope he gets given a run at fullback or in the centres once he has settled in to first grade. IMO Flash was held back by being left on the wing.

I just think players with such obvious talent should get a fair crack at other positions. Especially when it's one that we struggle in. Michael Jennings has been the only obvious centre selection at our club since he made his debut.

typicalfan

Coach
People forget how good Gordon was at fullback, a class above Coote.

Gordon is worth more than any back at the Panthers. It might have taken until he was 27-28 but he wasn't exactly given the opportunity before then.

Big Mick

Referee
People forget how good Gordon was at fullback, a class above Coote.

Gordon is worth more than any back at the Panthers. It might have taken until he was 27-28 but he wasn't exactly given the opportunity before then.

He didn't debut until he was 23/24 and before then NOONE gave him an opportunity.

Black Majik

Juniors

Big Mick

Referee
Not really.

Was expected. Just the Telegraph got peoples expectations up.

It was odds on he'd stay at Cronulla.

Although it is odd that we wouldn't re-visit it considering we'd have some cap room now with Flash signing with the Sharks.

Last edited:

Doomednow

Bench
If our good players are going anywhere I'd prefer it to be Sharks more than anyone else, except maybe Warriors. Although they already have a dearth of talent, so yeah, Sharks. Just make sure they get a decent go over there.

murraymob

Coach
we will sign all the cronulla rejects next year .Not 1 quality player will see our club untill 2014 at the earliest.

Panfas

Juniors
Looks like he may be off to the Sharks early...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...eason-as-a-shark/story-e6frexnr-1226363915263

HE remains contracted to Penrith but former NSW winger Michael Gordon may finish the season as a Cronulla Shark. Sharks coach Shane Flanagan and Panthers general manager of football, Phil Gould, have opened negotiations about granting Gordon an early release from CUA Stadium.
Gordon is currently recovering from a broken leg - sustained in round one - and is due back in round 18, nine weeks before the NRL finals. There's every chance he could return as a Shark.
Just last week, Gordon announced he had signed a three-year deal with the Sharks from next season.

But it now seems possible Gordon, on a contract worth about $200,000 a season, will transfer clubs mid-year.
The Panthers are seeking salary cap relief so selling Gordon would free-up some cash.
Cronulla want to strengthen their backline so they too want Gordon.
Unlike Penrith, Cronulla still have some room to move under their salary cap for this season.
Flanagan and Gould have made contact but, as yet, no resolution has been reached.
Cronulla would pay the Panthers some compensation for Gordon but won't outlay ridiculous money for the remainder of this season.
One source said: "No deal has been done for this year but I'm sure talks between the two clubs will continue."
The two clubs have another six weeks to find a solution before Gordon returns. Flanagan was unavailable for comment last night.
There are suggestions that Gordon was shopped around as a fullback, not a winger.
Gordon, 28, represented NSW in one State of Origin game during the unsuccessful 2010 series, kicking three goals from three attempts.
Over the past two years, Gordon and Lachlan Coote have battled for the Penrith number one jumper.
During the 2009 season, Gordon showed his amazing value by kicking 23 successive goals. He injured his ACL last year and required surgery.