What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gormley offers to host WCC in Florida?

Moffo

Referee
http://www.totalrl.com/strand/article.php

IT’S ALL IN THE STARS

VALENTINE’S Day has come and gone. I don’t take much notice of it as a rule.
It’s not because I’m opposed to the crass commercial exploitation of a Christian saint.
No, it’s more to do with the fact that I have been unlucky in love. What is it the hit of the 1950s said? Love and Marriage...go together like a horse and carriage.
What does divorce go with?
However, I must admit I am still on good terms with both my ex-wives. And their mothers, too.
Joan Read, my last wife’s mum (and you will note that I refer to my last wife and not my most recent wife or my latest wife) earned her crust as an astrologer. She used to give lectures on P&O cruises, including those made by the so-called Love Boat of television fame as well as checking out horoscopes for the true believers.
I was a sceptic until she twice gave me her tips for the Melbourne Cup - the race that stops Australia every November - and I published them in my then column in the Sydney Daily Telegraph. The first time she gave me three horses, which finished first, third and fourth. The following year it was first, second and fourth. Not a bad effort.
Then, when I was selling a house, she then told me the transaction should go ahead before a certain date in May.
I pooh-poohed the idea. But when the Reserve Bank of Australia raised the interest rate by one percent that very day (and six couples who were potential buyers pulled out the auction) I realised I should not have been so sceptical.
Joan reckons there is no such thing as a co-incidence.
In her eyes, all those...um...coincidences...that we encounter as we wander up the yellow brick road of life are all previously defined in the stars.
I am yet to be convinced by Guru Joan about coincidences.
Yes, Virginia, I will be getting to the point in a moment...just give me time!

SON OF GOD

I encountered a coincidence this week.
First came the report from America that Lachlan Murdoch, the Son of God, wants Australia to play a Rugby League Test match in New York later this year against the good ol’ US of A.
Lachie loves League. No matter what the Rah-Rahs say about him wanting to merge the two codes, with union running the show...Lachie loves League. Especially, people tell me, the Brisbane Broncos. But that’s another story.
His missus, the super model and all-round great sort, Sarah O’Hare, loves League, too. Only she has a special spot in her heart for the Manly Sea Eagles. Why couldn’t it be the Wests Tigers, I ask myself. But life is full of such mysteries.
A Test in New York? What a great idea.
Two days after the news about Murdoch’s interest in a New York Test I received a plaintiff email from Steve Gormley, a spruiker (Aussie-ism for salesman) from Florida.

"Malcom (sic), I am interested in your opinion."
Pity about the inability to spell my name correctly. But I am soothed by the fact he is interested in my views on Rugby League.
"What do you think the response would be if I hosted the World Club Challenge Match in Jacksonville, Florida?
"As President of US Pro Rugby and based on my success in hosting multiple Super League teams in the US I would like to see the match take place here.
"Stephen D Gormley.
"VP Project Planning, North Florida"

What do I think the response would be?
Well, I can just see tens of thousands of Americans falling over themselves in the rush to buy tickets to watch teams from somewhere called Bradford and Penrith.
Or St George Illawarra versus Widnes. That would pack 'em in.
"Hey. Honey, I can’t wait to go and see this side called Wakefield Trinity Wildcats. And what about these Parramatta Eels. Hey, ain’t that cool? Where in the hell is Parramatta? And what in heaven’s name is an Eel?"
What do I think? The interest by the Americans would be close to zero.
I will be writing to Stephen asking him if he has cleared this venture with David Niu, the man who for the past decade has been tirelessly working to get Rugby League established in the United States at the grassroots level.
I will be asking who will be providing the finance to underwrite this World Club Challenge on American soil.
Will the British authorities find themselves out of pocket?
And how, if by some chance there was a profit, would it be turned back to help the game in its struggle to be recognised in the United States?
The Lachlan Murdoch-David Niu project for a Test match deserves all the support it can muster.
The Americans could be persuaded to watch a game in which the pride of their nation is at stake.
But, of course, a Test involving the best performed nation in the world against a side that has been beaten by bush sides on the current tour of God's Own Country would be an embarrassment.
A 140-0 drubbing of the United States would do nothing for the future of the game in the United States.
May I suggest to Messrs Murdoch and Niu that the Aussies take on a US President’s XIII. A Rest-of-the-World, with a sprinkling of American players.
Blokes like Adrian Morley, Stuart Fielden (pictured), Lesley Vainikolo, Brad Fittler, Stacey Jones and Marcus Bai.
It’s been done before. When the American Allstars toured Australasia in 1951, a few locals were thrown in to help bolster the Yanks’ ranks.
Then there was the South African tour of 1963. Several British clubs refused to release their South African players for the ground-breaking tour (now doesn’t that sound familiar).
And when injuries decimated the South African side, two Sydney players, back-rower Graham Wilson (Newtown) and hooker Fred Anderson (Canterbury), were added to the side for the New Zealand leg. Wilson actually played in the Test against the Kiwis.
When he was selected for the Kangaroo tour of Britain and France later that season, Wilson ended up as the only player in history to play Tests for two different countries in the one year.
Australia v US President’s XIII in New York? I can’t wait for it.
The World Club Challenge in Florida? Hardly!

MALCOLM ANDREWS
Email: malcolma@ozemail.com.au

You can read a brand new 'View from the Strand' by Malcolm Andrews every Monday in Rugby Leaguer & League Express. Click here to subscribe!

Comment on this article in the Fans Forum

Rugby League
World Magazine
Every Month

League Express
Every Monday

Credit to totalrl for that

Just a question though, isn't Gormley the same Gormley that has been involved in several cock-ups in relation to American RL? I wonder if this is all serious or not?

Cheers,
Moffo

joshreading

Staff member
US Pro Rugby was closed really after the JEDC saw that it was a waste of money. The site is now gone and nothing decent ever happened through it all.