What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould debunks nrl claim of Jnr problems in western sydney

adamkungl

Immortal
Gould is wrong on a lot of things these days.
For example, I wouldn't want a bar of his opinions regarding expansion, the role of technology in moving the game forward, etc.

But if there's one thing I expect he is spot on about, it is grassroots development.

I don't doubt at all the NRL is pissing away money on things it is ill-qualified to lead but has decided that it should.

adamkungl

Immortal
It was a bullshit article by Rothfield perfectly timed after a big day for the sport in Western Sydney.

Pig Champion

Juniors
The slothfield article also stated numbers are up in the Cronulla juniors. No effing way, boys are shunning it in droves. Maybe the girls comp has boosted the numbers but over the past few years teams are disappearing left, right and centre. Even winning the NRL seemed to have little impact.

According to the suits numbers are up in country NSW too.

What they deliberately neglect to mention is it includes leaguetag numbers, which are growing because it's still relatively new and masking the real decline in actual RL players. And if anyone challenges them on this they just ignore it.

taipan

Referee
The slothfield article also stated numbers are up in the Cronulla juniors. No effing way, boys are shunning it in droves. Maybe the girls comp has boosted the numbers but over the past few years teams are disappearing left, right and centre. Even winning the NRL seemed to have little impact.

Yep,think it is the female numbers that give the boost there.

taipan

Referee
According to the suits numbers are up in country NSW too.

What they deliberately neglect to mention is it includes leaguetag numbers, which are growing because it's still relatively new and masking the real decline in actual RL players. And if anyone challenges them on this they just ignore it.

The biggest problem I see for grassroots .
Money of course but spending the right way.
Weight for age.Mothers will steer their smaller kids away from playing against guys built like Sherman tanks and being the same age bracket.Check the grassroots history when it wasn't a problem,grassroots was growing.

And of course the continual negative press with players carrying on like idiots off the field, such as what happened last weekend.I'm sick of hearing the game is for bogans by the odd twits I meet.

Pig Champion

Juniors
All the years I've seen my kids playing, I'd say one big factor in losing players is level of involvement in the game. I've seen kids lost to the game after years of being stuck on the wing, never getting their hands on the ball. They get bored.

taipan

Referee
to be fair, it is pretty spot on

The ones that do the damage I agree, but there are a hell of a lot of good guys playing that end up wearing the bum image.
Did the AFL get a bogan image when the West Coast Eagles went on the coke,or the Ablett snr issue John Elliot admitting they paid women to lay off assault charges by their players,or the Sam Newmans,Eddie McChins,Fevolas,Careys,Prouds.Nup soon put to bed and forgotten.
Trouble with some NRL players ,it's a continuing saga.Just when you think the lie of the land is clear,someone stuffs up.And the bad publicity continues.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Is Gould just annoyed because he thinks he knows everything that is rugby league and didn't get an invite to the table? Me thinks so!
I would hope the nswrl and qrl had been consulted. Gould just wants input to help his panthers. It's clear as day.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Is Gould just annoyed because he thinks he knows everything that is rugby league and didn't get an invite to the table? Me thinks so!
I would hope the nswrl and qrl had been consulted. Gould just wants input to help his panthers. It's clear as day.

Correct me if I've misinterpreted what Gould was saying, but I'm of the opinion he's saying instead of throwing money at the problem, have a look and see what's actually happening before coming up with a strategy... Hardly see how that's helping the Panthers in any way shape or form?
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to death ride Gould given how he's currently treating our members, but this isn't something you can really hang shit on him for

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Correct me if I've misinterpreted what Gould was saying, but I'm of the opinion he's saying instead of throwing money at the problem, have a look and see what's actually happening before coming up with a strategy... Hardly see how that's helping the Panthers in any way shape or form?
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to death ride Gould given how he's currently treating our members, but this isn't something you can really hang shit on him for

You have just automatically accepted as gospel what a news ltd reporter is saying as well as Goulds input. Nrl bashing again. Like I said, I would assume nswrl and qrl had been consulted to some degree but Gould wasn't and he doesn't like it. So he then talks to a reporter to bash the nrl with the line that the Nrl are just throwing money at the problem. Yes Penrith have good junior numbers but I would trust the qrl/nswrl who deal a lot more with schools and programs as a whole over Goulds grand plans.

ACTPanthers

Bench
You have just automatically accepted as gospel what a news ltd reporter is saying as well as Goulds input. Nrl bashing again. Like I said, I would assume nswrl and qrl had been consulted to some degree but Gould wasn't and he doesn't like it. So he then talks to a reporter to bash the nrl with the line that the Nrl are just throwing money at the problem. Yes Penrith have good junior numbers but I would trust the qrl/nswrl who deal a lot more with schools and programs as a whole over Goulds grand plans.
And that's fine of you to believe what you want. But to assume something doesn't make it 100% correct.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
And that's fine of you to believe what you want. But to assume something doesn't make it 100% correct.

Believing what Gould and news ltd is saying in regards to "throwing money at it" doesn't make it 100% correct either. Do you believe everything they say?

Maybe the nrl could of consulted more? Maybe they consulted enough for there liking. It just seems Gould is bitter for not getting a seat at the table.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In WA our junior numbers are growing strongly but Snr men's regos are down. I guess it will be a few years until the growth in jnrs will translate intp Snr players, if we can keep them in the game. I'd still like to see the nrl offer a centralised free insurance and kit scheme for all Jnr clubs across the country. Asking parents to shell out $200 for rego is a barrier to kids trying RL Imo and not every region has the benefit of a pokies clubs to cover those costs.

T-Boon

Coach
I think we need to look at what cricket has done with Big Bash. The kids freaking love it. They have taken something British and made it American. One thing the Americans know is how to take something British boring and make it way more interesting.

Maybe try to unleash the potential of Nines for kids to get their thrill a minute. Too bad Gould already bagged the crap out of Nines as a concept.

betcats

Referee
I think we need to look at what cricket has done with Big Bash. The kids freaking love it. They have taken something British and made it American. One thing the Americans know is how to take something British boring and make it way more interesting.

Maybe try to unleash the potential of Nines for kids to get their thrill a minute. Too bad Gould already bagged the crap out of Nines as a concept.

Nines is garbage.