What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould Melbourne Storm overrated

magpie4ever

First Grade
Guzzy is over rated at his knowledge of league & footballers, in general.

The stupid prick would have lose a decent quid on the Cowboys knocking over the chookens. You could tell in his comments throughout the game.

SBD82

Coach
Did anyone else listen to the actual interview?

This article is awfully selective in the quotes he used. The majority of what he said heaped praise on the storm, he was basically just saying that they looked vulnerable against the eels, and that is a blueprint that proves that they are not invincible. But he also acknowledged that they are the best team in the comp.

Gould is a pain in the arse commentator, but the problem here is the telegraph, not Gould.

The_Shield

Juniors
he was basically just saying that they looked vulnerable against the eels, and that is a blueprint that proves that they are not invincible.
The thing is, the only time Parramatta looked to trouble Melbourne was when Melbourne were a man down tho. Other then that 10 minute period the Eels had nothing. That's the stupid thing

SBD82

Coach
The thing is, the only time Parramatta looked to trouble Melbourne was when Melbourne were a man down tho. Other then that 10 minute period the Eels had nothing. That's the stupid thing
Completely agree.

I don't necessarily agree with him but what he was saying was that parra were aggressive and took it to Melbourne, and the cowboys will need to do this if they are going to be a chance on Sunday.

It's a much different version to what was printed in the telegraph.

Reactions: Vee

beave

Coach
I still remember in the dark days of NQ football, he used to deathride my club like a beaten favourite. ‘Who would want to go up there and play, they bring nothing to the comp, why are they in our comp??.....’ in perticular I remember he was very vocal on one Sunday footy show episode.

we managed to jag a win not long after against Canterbury at ANZ in 2000, Paul Bowman, as he got subbed off with the Cowbs holding a decent lead, went over to an onfield mic and shouted into it ‘Shove that up ya f$@@ing ass Gus!’ Or words to that effect.

Gould is a piece of know it all shit that actually knows f$@& all about our game. Listening to him brag that ‘i said this at halftime...... blah blah and they’re doing it!!!!’

Shut up Gus.

King hit

Coach
But Gould isn't completely wrong and is entitled to his opinion. Storm were lucky to beat Parra in week 1 and they were flattered by the 30-0 score last Friday.

Reactions: Vee

Big Pete

Referee
I still remember in the dark days of NQ football, he used to deathride my club like a beaten favourite. ‘Who would want to go up there and play, they bring nothing to the comp, why are they in our comp??.....’ in perticular I remember he was very vocal on one Sunday footy show episode.

we managed to jag a win not long after against Canterbury at ANZ in 2000, Paul Bowman, as he got subbed off with the Cowbs holding a decent lead, went over to an onfield mic and shouted into it ‘Shove that up ya f$@@ing ass Gus!’ Or words to that effect.

Gould is a piece of know it all shit that actually knows f$@& all about our game. Listening to him brag that ‘i said this at halftime...... blah blah and they’re doing it!!!!’

Shut up Gus.

Gus has a weird relationship with the Cowboys. In the 2011 pre-season, Henry tried to hire him as a consultant and flew Gus up to get his take. Gus walked out on the deal, criticized the Cowboys and said something to the effect that they were beyond saving. It was a strange statement as well given how well the Cowboys had recruited and just how strong their junior stocks were looking. At the time you had Jason Taumalolo, Michael Morgan, Kyle Feldt, Chris Grevsmuhl, Felise Kaufusi, Moses Pangai among others coming through and it looked like the Cows were going to turn a corner after a horrid 2008-10 period.

Ever since then, whenever he can get away with barracking against the Cowboys, he'll take it. When he used to be active on Twitter, he'd often talk up the opposition even when the Cowboys were clearly the better team on the night or were going to get their second win in the final quarter of the game.

The only thing that rivals Gould's bizarre Cowboys bias is his Melbourne Storm salt. I still have memories of him sooking big time after Melbourne beat Sydney in Week 1 of the 2015 Finals. That extended to last season where he just kept death-riding the Storm all week leading up to the Grand Final and refused to give credit to the Storm's defence which had done incredibly well to limit the Sharks scoring. And it's resurfaced once more and he's been beating the same drum since the Eels game even though Melbourne were the better side.

It wouldn't be a problem if he wanted to carry this persona on some panel show and they presented it as some sort of shtick but as a main caller and general manager of a rival club it just comes off as unprofessional. It's a shame because when Gus isn't getting caught up in his prejudices he's easily the most insightful media personality in the game.

Latest posts