What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Graham as Packer replacement

thebigredv

First Grade
Always hated the Bulldogs and Graham almost as much as Reynolds but am warming to the idea, if its even a remote possibility. Not as many prop options out there as there are backs. The more non-origin rep players, the better.

2 year contract would be awesome.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Just finished watching Super League, Huddersfield V Catalans.

Some interesting players, Shannon Wakeman, Sebastian Ikahihifo, Sam Moa.
All had good games, some nice power runs, Wakeman is a beast when wound up. The issue is that with all Super League players is the defence, although Ikahihifo tackles very well.

By no means am I suggesting any of these guys, and both Wakeman and Ikahihifo have experienced the rejection of McGregor in the past, but they would be a cheaper option.
Wakeman is the same build as Packer and runs like him. Ikahihifo is a bit smaller (weight wise) but seems more agile, and Moa is a reasonable all round prop, just a little small.

GC Dragon

Juniors

All had good games, some nice power runs, Wakeman is a beast when wound up. The issue is that with all Super League players is the defence, although Ikahihifo tackles very well.

By no means am I suggesting any of these guys, and both Wakeman and Ikahihifo have experienced the rejection of McGregor in the past, but they would be a cheaper option.
Wakeman is the same build as Packer and runs like him. Ikahihifo is a bit smaller (weight wise) but seems more agile, and Moa is a reasonable all round prop, just a little small.
Watched the same game . I have watched Wakeman play 4 or 5 times this season and agree he is going well . Doesn't look as fit as he was here but that's the way it is in the ESL .

If you get a chance to watch Warrington play have a look at Ashton Sims he has been really impressive . I watch or tape most the ESL games each week just to see what's on offer

OLD FART DRAGON

Juniors
The answer to our prop forward replacement is easy Kerr, is ready ,no need to buy any props ,or fullbacks,with Mann showing his elusive skills and he passes the ball,plenty of young guns coming through,so let's keep them here ,use the money to retain them ,also I think coyne is having a huge influence on the team ,they keep coming at u right to the end ,fitness is the key ,also Milne needs more time at centre ,he's a monster,him and lafai are a good set ,also fai fai ,played with plenty of spirit,deserves another chance ,they key to us is simple we have a hooker playing quality 80 minutes,giving the forwards the get go,which in turn gives the halves room to move,,simple

BrissyRedV

Bench
Nelson Asofa-Solomona is the only replacement for Packer i'd be happy with.

I'm keen to see Kerr and Lawrie step up, but they're untested. We can't assume they'll be 100% ready to go.
NAS is a proven first grader, not to mention he's 21 years old.
And he is a freak of nature. Bloke is a giant and once he knows how to use his size, he will be unstoppable.

deansykes

Juniors
I 100% agree with Graham if he could come at the right price. The guy is as tough as they come, fiercely competitive and boosts morale - only downside is he is a natural leader and wouldnt want to upset the balance of power with our current leadership team

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Graham would be a great replacement for Packer. I'd feel would could keep up our forward dominance with Graham on board.

Possm
Definitely for 1 or 2 years but he may want more than what we offered packer.
Also before we go getting anyone.
We need to sign Lafai and mann.
And see what we have left imo

Reactions: Qdf

dragonssamy61

First Grade
This is biggest challenge...years ago I recall Gus Gould stating the Dragons had Prop Forwards dropping out of trees...now we seem to be scrambling to fill the gap.
Who do we have in lower grades that can step up quickly or does the Graham (or Prop X) from external for 2 years buy us time...
Worst case is we burn cash on an unwanted Prop n his twilight..

FlameThrower
I would say kerr is ready for nrl now.
With a further 6 months under his belt he is ready.
Also lawrie is close

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Nelson Asofa-Solomona is the only replacement for Packer i'd be happy with.

I'm keen to see Kerr and Lawrie step up, but they're untested. We can't assume they'll be 100% ready to go.
NAS is a proven first grader, not to mention he's 21 years old.

Do you think bellyake would let hin go.
I think rugby is chasing him as well

possm

Coach
Whether Graham is the panacea to Packer's defection is subjective, one thing is clear; Saints will be one hard nosed prop short of being a premiership contender next year.
Yes and we did not have to be. Come on Millward sign a hard nose prop to replace Packer, your plan B solution or was it your plan A solution. Whatever it is, show us your decision so we can place judgement.

possm

Coach
Use it to pay Hunts money.
Surely we can't afford Graham.
Hunt's money was covered with the 2m cap rise for 2018. It also would have covered Widdop's extension, Vaughan's extension and De Belin's extension,

I'm also interested in what Millward is going to do with this money.

The funniest thing is Ikahihifo was the best prop in the NSW Cup at the time he was at the Dragons and again f**ked around my Mary and left.

Soon after Wakeman who imo was also the best prop by a country mile in the NSW Cup got shafted by Mary and also left.

Sometimes Mary is just to f**king stupid for his own good.