What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final (2005) Pirates Vs Raiders

Mystique

Juniors
Extraordinary quality in this match, as you'd expect in a Grand Final with the top two teams playing each other, which is why the scores are fairly high. Even the lowest marking articles would have been good ones during the lead-up rounds so I hope no-one feels too disappointed. Well done everyone.

Pirates

Weasel - How weasel got his groove back

The recovery from end-of-season blues via the five stages of grief. I think most League fans can relate (any code, come to think of it). Entertaining.

Score: 88

Godzilla - Art: Official Intelligence

Intelligent and well written article about how genius often transcends comprehension, whether in art or in sport. I’m not entirely convinced that Benji Marshall is the Picasso of League but, for a short time there, I was almost swayed… Nice work.

Score: 93

Prince Charles - The Hero

A piece about that inspirational player who can lift an entire team through his actions. Every team should have one. A really vivid description of the game made it quite exciting. One mistake I spotted; it’s “led” not “lead” but still a good solid article.

Score: 84

Thierry Henry - Pressure

Good article and nicely written. Doesn’t take itself too seriously, what with the leagueunlimited in-jokes and all, but still manages to make some good points in the middle there.

Score: 87

Half - John Morris

Excellent article, written as well as any professional piece out there. The humour, the little observations and details frame an entertaining player interview. Stand out piece of the round, in my opinion. (My only quibble is that FFS is not a word…)

Score: 96

TOTAL: 448

Raiders

Greeneyed - It is in the blood

Touching personal account of a childhood spent living and breathing League and a grandfather’s influence. Written from the heart.

Score: 87

Azza - The Common Bond

Moving story of how League can bring people together and lift them, whether it’s a stadium full of people or a handful of impoverished kids.

Score: 85

Skeepe - Withdrawn

A brief season retrospective, cleverly framed within a joke about commentators and other league fanatics having to be treated for NRL withdrawal.

Score: 89

Thickos - Every Dog Has His Day

Even supporting players get their chance at the spotlight. The article takes a while to get going but eventually sucks you in and grips your attention. Nice finish.

Score: 84

I bleed green - Change isn’t an option: It's a necessity

The article makes a good case for renewal being necessary for the continued health of a club, with particular regard to the Broncos and the unchanging role of coach Wayne Bennett. Well argued opinion piece.

Score: 91

TOTAL: 436

Pirates 448 def Raiders 436

Man of the Match: half for the Pirates.

Edited because of odd formatting.

greeneyed

First Grade
I just want to say to my team mates, and to Azza in particular, you could not have done anything more to win this match. I'm proud of the Raiders players and the captain R69. There is clearly nothing more you guys could have done to win. Good on you.

Raider_69

Post Whore
congrats pirates, well done on a fantastic season...
stunned and shattered all in one right now, not sure what to think...

to my boys, thanks for a fantastic season, as a captain im very proud to have been given the honour of captaining this talented bunch of writers, this season despite falling at the last hurdle, has been a massive success for the Raiders... i hope to see you all back again next season to go a step further... want to send a special mention to my 5 regulars, Thickos, Greeneyed, IBG, Skeepe and Schifty who put in every week and carried us to this game, never has a captain had an easier time of it then i have this year, all thanks to these blokes...

i know its only and internet competition but it was a real pleasure to do this with such a great bunch of bloke, and whilst im gutted we couldnt get it done this year, im very proud of our efforts this season. You are all a credit to this competition...

Lastly thanks to everyone that makes this competition happen, from administraters, to captains, to players and referees, you blokes have given me something to do at 3am in the morning, im sure if my year 12 english teacher could see this she would be shocked...

nibbs

Bench
runs off the bench... slaps mark's ass, ruffles martin's hair, high 5s mick, embraces sean, and dry roots nalin's ass.

whoa-yeah!!!

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
main_pic_wo1.jpg

weasel

First Grade
We did it Steve, we finally did it, buddy.

*tears*

Well done to the Raiders, they were great all year and another high quality performance in the grand final. But some of our players saved their best to last and it really catapulted us to victory. I thought Mick was almost a lock for the Martin Denyer medal (imho this should be the name of the F7's grand final motm award), but Mark's was perhaps the funniest piece of F7's literature ever written and fully deserves recognition.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well done both teams, a classic F7s Grand Final.

Better luck next year Raiders. Having played in a losing Grand Final, I know what you're going through. But take the positives, you had a tremendous season following on from PVP champions and minor premiers, so 2006 must be looking great.

To the Pirates... wooden spooners in 2004 and premiers in 2005!! Not much else to say other than huge congratulations and....
firewrk2.gif
fireworks6.gif
fireworks6.gif
firewrk2.gif

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Guys, we've finally done it for Pre. We've put Coos Bay back on the map ffs (Mingus Park and Choshi Bridge weren't quite cutting it tbh). We've taken everything that Pre taught us and used it to earn victory, and what's more, we've added our own not-so-secret ingredient: panache

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Nalin, for his ridiculous Martin Denyer medal idea and consistently witty posting this season; Mike, for his sudden death heroics, his brilliant grand final post, his true Pirate spirit; Sean, for being an absolutely committed poster all season- Sean, you are the hero you described in your post; Kurt, for continuing to score well with Jeremy John Mohekey disses for weeks on end, and being a damn fine benchie; Jeremy John Mohekey, for inspiring Kurt, and for posting once and then retiring; Taylor, for always being a true Pirate, even when things got a little tetchy in the camp; and even Guy, ffs. And finally, I'd like to thank Mark. I think it's only right that the self-proclaimed spiritual leader of the Pirates should turn in such a dominant grand final display. That post will go down in history dood.

Finally, I'd like to dedicate our victory to Scott Raymond Thomas. This one's for you buddy *tear*

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
And of course, bad luck Raiders. You couldn't have done much more than you did, you deserve every accolade that comes your way. Raiduh, you are still a leading attraction in the Gary hall of shame, but you are also, tbh, a pretty fkn swell F7s captain.

antonius

Coach
Great game, and fitting end to one of the best, if not the best season in F7's history. Very high quality pieces from both teams who have produced quality stuff all year. The MOTM was top shelf stuff. Well done Pirates, and the Raiders can hold their heads high after a remarkable debut season.

roosterboy60

Juniors
Congratulations Pirates, a great year and well done on the Grand Final Victory. Bad luck to the Raiders but you have also had a great year, I'm sure you'll bounce back next year.

Godz Illa

Coach
Fkn awesome stuff guys, I love youse all. Big ups to the Raiders, it was the GF we had to have really. We'd both both won one apiece, including the extra-time semi, so this was the true decider. But imo, the Pirates GF performance was a masterpiece Picasso (and Benji) would be proud of. Panache, passion, and Prefontaine are our cornerstones - long live the Pirates.

Whoa-yeah ffs.

half

Coach
to my pirate friends, you are just that, friends, and i think that's what makes this victory so special. awesome

PJ Marshal

Coach
omg im so proud of my friends

well done pirates, im gonna have beers in honour of you

mark, john would be proud i know

Latest posts