What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GRAND FINAL (2008) BLUEBAGS v TITANS

Amadean

Juniors
Ok, this is getting ridiculous. I just caught myself refreshing this bloody site five times in the last three minutes. FFS I am out of fingernails, toenails, coffin nails and am coming worryingly close to the clinical definition of OCD. Hell, I never thought we'd get within cooee of a final first season out... to be taking part in one hell of a match (right up there with Origin earlier in the season) is bloody exciting.

Fantastic game Baggers, an absolute pleasure to read. That you guys can produce such fantastic plays with Willow and Gorilla on the bench speaks volumes for the redbox's talent.

Bugger! Spent too long writing this, need to refresh.

Pistol

Coach
Ok, this is getting ridiculous. I just caught myself refreshing this bloody site five times in the last three minutes. FFS I am out of fingernails, toenails, coffin nails and am coming worryingly close to the clinical definition of OCD. Hell, I never thought we'd get within cooee of a final first season out... to be taking part in one hell of a match (right up there with Origin earlier in the season) is bloody exciting.

Fantastic game Baggers, an absolute pleasure to read. That you guys can produce such fantastic plays with Willow and Gorilla on the bench speaks volumes for the redbox's talent.

I think you may be a bit pumped up there Amadean :cool:

Rexxy

Coach
welcome to the jungle

Amadean

Juniors
I thought "refresh" was a brand of deodorant

I'm astounded that the 'Walking Miasma' (or as the local Chinese say, nongmen, ni shi yige fungpi baize) is aware of the existence of deodorant in general, let alone specific brands!

And FYI Pistol, I am perfectly calm. I am more centred than a Zen gyroscope, more relaxed than a hippie on heroin, more peaceful than the Ocean of Tranquility. I am in perfect harmony with my surroundings, with the internet, with F7s and, most especially, with the firmly sprung action of my F5 key.

*refreshes*

The Colonel

Immortal
Newtown Bluebags

Black Kitty - 89

The other side of the coin, in this regard, is an interesting discussion. Well written and thoughtfully looked at.

Drew-Sta - 88

An interesting and possibly controversial look at the people, and in this case one in particular, who write the articles that look into the lives of the players. Quite poignant in today's climate.

Dave Q - 94

I was a bit lost for words in regards to this article. The score really says it all. Very touching effort that holds quite a few poignant truths. Thanks for sharing it.

Everlovin' Antichrist - 90

Fantastic effort. An article I can sympathise with. So many showers since and the stench of supporting Manly still remains. It does make you wonder at what joke is being played out.

Rexxy - 87

The transition from live games on radio to television and the impending broadcasts on the interenet and mibile phones has been an interesting journey for the rugby league viewer. Where technology takes it from here will be interesting.

Total: 448

Gold Coast Titans

Amadean - 88

Quite well written. An interesting spin on the theme of heroes and idols.

tits&tans - 91

I was one confused referee as I reached the end of this one. I should have marked it first and I may have been a little more ahead on the clues. Having marked nine articles already left me a bit addled. Great effort

Titan Uranus - 88

The off season, a rugby league tragics biggest fear. At least this year we have something that will keep us in check up until Christmas.

bgdc - 90

The girls in my office sat and stared as I laughed through this article. My wife would probably commiserate with you wholeheartedly. Well written.

Titanic - 92

This was one of the more "interesting" articles that I have marked this season. It is one that comes screaming in on your blind side and smashes you much like Steve Matai has done on quite a few occassions to the opposition this season. Well done.

Total: 449

Player of the Match: Dave Q.

Truly a great article and one that almost got your team home in the end. Fantastic effort.

Firstly I would like to be the first to congratulate the 2008 F7's Premiers - the Gold Coast Titans. A truly great effort. Well done to you all.

Commiserations to the 'Bags, your efforts this season have been truly remarkable.

I would just like to say that this was a very good Grand Final, the efforts of both teams were strong and this is reflected in the scores. There were some very original, funny and quite touching efforts amongst them all. I feel privileged to have been asked to mark them.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
To me it looks like 10 great reads and is very very close.
Cheers Amadean. Truth is we have seven articles in the locker room and the five posted were deemed the best. The pleasure for a captain is watching team mates rising to the occasion and putting a huge effort in.

Between the two teams, I think there are no less than seven players in their grand final debut. Regardless of the result, its a big win for the F7s.

*refresh again*

Edit: results posted.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks Colonel for a quick piece of marking. :thumn

Congrats Titans. Caps off a fantastic debut season. Celebrate hard.

Great work Bluebags, the undefeated streak finally comes to an end in a close one. But far from disgraced against a quality opposition.

Special congrats to Dave Q on the POTM, I understand you have to now honour a bet.

Last edited:

Pistol

Coach
An absolute nail biter and only the one point in it. A herculean effort from both teams. Well done to all. Thanks Colonel for officiating and thanks to the players for providing the entertainment for all to enjoy.

griffo346

First Grade
wow what a game well done titans done on a great debut season

bad luck bags sad to see the streak come to a end on a grand final match

gorilla

First Grade
Congratulations Titans - well won !

Good onya 'Bags ! The greatest run in F7s brought down in a GF by a single point to a great team - so no shame and heads high.

Thanks Ref - nice and quick, hope your marital stamina is not the same....

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
For the trivia buffs:

449 = Titans highest score for 2008
448 = Bluebags highest score for 2008

449 is the highest team score for 2008 premiership season (not including rep matches).

Amadean

Juniors
Woo-HOO! Yeah! WTFOMGBBQ Baby! A-boo-yah-boo-yah-boo-YAH!

Ahem. I apologise for that unseemly outburst.

Colonel, thanks for the timely marking and doubly thanks for having to call the split between the result - not an enviable job, but handled with aplomb.

Bluebags, to stumble at the final hurdle after being head'n'shoulders above the comp all season is desperately unfortunate. The workmanship of your pieces has consistently been above reproach, thanks for a great match.

Titans, thanks.

Jesbass

First Grade
Wow, what a grandstand finish! Well done to both teams. Unlike the NRL Grand Final which was completely one-sided, this match featured the two Goliaths of the game, and it was fittingly seperated by nothing more than a field goal.

Well done to the Titans for the win in a huge debut season, to the Bluebags for setting the benchmark for two years, and to The Colonel for making the tough calls in a judicial and prompt manner.

I stand and applaud you all. :clap: :clap: :clap:

bartman

Immortal
Well done to all involved. A great batch of F7s reads there. Top stuff from the two top teams.

Congrats to the Titans machine on a debut F7s premiership win, and commiserations to the Bluebags who have had a great undefeated run.

Jesbass

First Grade
I just read Dave Q's article and it absolutely enveloped me. I had a dinner plate on my lap but didn't eat a single bite. That piece was just incredible, and an easy choice for getting the LU keyring. Awesome stuff.

Titanic

First Grade
Totally stunned at the result phoned through from Shanghai and trying to think of an appropriate posting whilst chairing a management meeting...

A very humble Titanic accepts the baton passed by the 'Bags on behalf of the team. This has been a great ride, from PvP through until now the sportsmanship and entertainment we have gleaned from the competition has far out-weighed the stress and RSI. We have played every game possible in this season and posted the maximum number articles, all with a core team of four who have played every game and a hardy band of support players whose input ensured that we could compete reasonably.

Titans: great effort one and all - all the hours (and beers) have finally borne fruit.

Bluebags: irrespective of this result, you guys will always be the benchmark of F7's to us and we look forward to renewing the challenge in the on-coming season. Thanks for the competition.

The Colonel: There can be no harder job than to judge a subjective competition such as this. We thank you for your commitment and professionalism.

F7's Community: we can now look forward to a series of cheap shots through until next season, please be gentle and take consolation from the fact that we are now one game closer to our next loss. Have a great off-season and World Cup for those who are up for it.

Last edited:

bgdc

Juniors
Chip chip chip chip and dip, burgerlicious and sausage rollomonious. A premiership - peow peow!

Oh and The Colonel what was that about all the girls in your office? I am so let down - yet so happy.

Titan Uranus

Juniors
I remember first being told about this thing by my future team-mates while they were competing in the pre-season PVP back in January. You do what? Was my first response. Followed by "Really, and there's a whole league for this." Yet somehow I got wrapped up (or maybe trapped in) by it. Oh well time for a much needed rest.

World what, you say? Oh bugger...

Early money's on the Kumuls I say. Ireland and NZ will do well to beat the Willow Titans. Still, I'm glad I don't have to live up to that pressure so soon after the GF.

Thank you to all for competing and to all the refs throughout the season.