What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final tickets

RockWheel

Bench
Being reported that up to 20,000 tickets will be given away for free to try and get to a crowd of 80k.

In the meantime, if you want to watch two teams fumbling the ball, be prepared to pay a minimum of $2,000 for a ticket (if you're lucky).
by who

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Being reported that up to 20,000 tickets will be given away for free to try and get to a crowd of 80k.

In the meantime, if you want to watch two teams fumbling the ball, be prepared to pay a minimum of $2,000 for a ticket (if you're lucky).
So, a flag final featuring a team from Melbourne with huge support that hasn't played in a grand final for f**k knows how long has sold out whilst a grand final from two out of Sydney teams hasn't?

Code in crisis.

carcharias

Immortal
So, a flag final featuring a team from Melbourne with huge support that hasn't played in a grand final for f**k knows how long has sold out whilst a grand final from two out of Sydney teams hasn't?

Code in crisis.
Where both teams have been in the two previous grand finals anyway.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Code in crisis.

Probably 20k storm and cowboys fans going so that's 60k seats for 5.5million people. You'd think there'd be enough interest even at the silly prices.

RockWheel

Bench
Why is this, for some reason, the first grand final that isn't going to sell out? It's not even the first non-NSW grand final but this one isn't going to sell out but the other ones did? Some people are just knobs aren't they

adamkungl

Immortal
Mate, you should be able to travel by yourself, and find great places by yourself and party with people you met by yourself in a great city.

Sydney is not that city when I was there and sadly it seems it still isnt. Perth Red divides opinions here but I dont get your point on him travelling to Syd on his own to watch a grand final?

Any other city with a big event embraces it and welcomes people........

Small minded simpletons just playing the man not the ball.

How anyone could disagree that the NRL should do more to hype up the biggest day of the year is beyond me.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I've got no problem hyping up the game but why do these so called rugby league fans constantly bring up afl in their whinges?

f**k afl. Its not perfect. If it was it wouldn't be a Victoriancentric blip crying out for attention every chance it gets.

carcharias

Immortal
Small minded simpletons just playing the man not the ball.

How anyone could disagree that the NRL should do more to hype up the biggest day of the year is beyond me.

Nobody is saying that.
We all know Greenberg couldn't organise a blow job at the Mardi Gra.
It is what it is.
The NRL have never done parades or big full blown fan days the day before.
As if the coaches are going to let the players do that shit.

The question remains...why the f**k would a person who has constantly bagged the absolute shit out of the game even go to the grand final?
He has been complaining before he has even got on the plane.

We all know what the result is going to be.
He'll be back on here bagging out everything about the day no doubt.

My team finally won it last year.
It was a great day even before the game started.
The pre game stuff was awesome outside the stadium and inside.

Also
There is footy related stuff going on if he bothered to look
Daly M's last night
Footy show tonight at the convention centre.
On Saturday
He could also go to the actual national rugby league museum @ NRL head quarters in Moore park.
He bagged out the NRL for not having one.
...but they f**king well do.

https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndLegendsNationalRugbyLeagueMuseum

http://www.nrl.com/about/more/rugbyleaguemuseum/tabid/11167/default.aspx

adamkungl

Immortal
The question remains...why the f**k would a person who has constantly bagged the absolute shit out of the game even go to the grand final?

Bagging the shit out of Todd's NRL is not bagging the game.
Todd Greenberg is not the game.
The NRL is not the game.

carcharias

Immortal
The NRL is not the game.

I think you'll find Perth Red has been bagging long before Greenberg
But this weekend Greenberg is in charge and PR is bagging it out.

Stallion

First Grade
The northern end of the stadium had areas closed off due to the flame thing being built. There wasn’t 110k there, 94kish from memory.

Thats right. I was at the 1999 gf and that was about 110000. Melbourne v Saints.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL is not the game.

My opinions are always balanced based on my experiences and my love of the game and desire to see it much bigger than it is. In this case when you got to the stadium it was a brilliant day. Every thing I had hoped it would be for a major world sporting event. Well done nrl.
But the total lack of recognition walking around Sydney sat-mon that a gf was taking place convinces me that either the game has some massive importance issues in Sydney, the city is massively complacent that it gets to host this amazing event and/or that the nrl have no idea or see any value in promoting itself to the wider non RL public.

No wonder it couldn't sell out to neutrals and that Sydney ratings and crowds are dropping.

carcharias

Immortal
Last year I went to the sharks fan day on the Monday
The game on the Sunday
And just got generally awashed in the fever of it in the shire on the Saturday.

Ya gotta know where to look

adamkungl

Immortal
But the total lack of recognition walking around Sydney sat-mon that a gf was taking place convinces me that either
the game has some massive importance issues in Sydney,
the city is massively complacent that it gets to host this amazing event
and/or that the nrl have no idea or see any value in promoting itself to the wider non RL public.

A bit of all 3.
The NRLs promotion and lead-in events could certainly be better. Seem to rely on the sport selling itself, which it usually does for Origin and GF day.

Re points 1 and 2 - The myriad of entertainment options and cultures in Sydney makes it a lot harder for 1 sport of limited international relevance to hold absolute sway.
A whole range of things contribute to this.
-Our own fans and media building a constantly negative news cycle - every week amazing games are squashed in the news and conversation around the game by overblown crisis'. No better example than week 1 of the finals.
-Lack of attendance culture in Sydney Rugby League - too many fans have convinced themselves it is "a TV game" which isn't helped by the NRLs TV exclusive timeslots. This attitude flows into the finals, especially for 'neutral' games.
-Refusal to expand the competition to 2 of 5 major cities allows it to be seen as still a merely regional event (despite the 2 teams involved) rather than one of national or international importance.
-Refusal to give the international game presence and breathing room adds to the above - we don't engage Sydney's increasingly multicultural population as well as we could. I have no doubt an improved international scene would result in an increased following of the club game.

carcharias

Immortal
If your team isn't in it , your not going to be bothered going to any GF related shindig the days on either side of GF day.

Why would you?