What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final tickets

It has been common practice since the dawn of the 21st century that the Grand Finalists last public appearances are at the Grand Final breakfast, which us usually on the Thursday before the GF. After that day neither teams are obliged to make any public appearances. I doubt it will change.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
It has been common practice since the dawn of the 21st century that the Grand Finalists last public appearances are at the Grand Final breakfast, which us usually on the Thursday before the GF. After that day neither teams are obliged to make any public appearances. I doubt it will change.
Nor should it really. Plenty of time before then to ask the same questions over and over about how excited they are and how they think they will go etc etc. After Thursday let the players go away and prepare for the game.

Stallion

First Grade
My opinions are always balanced based on my experiences and my love of the game and desire to see it much bigger than it is. In this case when you got to the stadium it was a brilliant day. Every thing I had hoped it would be for a major world sporting event. Well done nrl.
But the total lack of recognition walking around Sydney sat-mon that a gf was taking place convinces me that either the game has some massive importance issues in Sydney, the city is massively complacent that it gets to host this amazing event and/or that the nrl have no idea or see any value in promoting itself to the wider non RL public.

No wonder it couldn't sell out to neutrals and that Sydney ratings and crowds are dropping.

Agree. The later part of your comment is more to the point. The NRL marketing people are not doing a good job or are not being funded appropriately.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agree. The later part of your comment is more to the point. The NRL marketing people are not doing a good job or are not being funded appropriately.

Not sure if it is the nrl to blame, the nsw govt or the city of Sydney council? Probably a combination. When I was in Melbourne for F1 a couple of years ago the city was festooned with flags and marketing, you couldn't help but notice it was a big event happening.
I get that there wasn't a Sydney team in it but that is our typical parochial thinking. The gf event should be the jewel in the crown both for the nrl and for Sydney having the right to host it. After this weekends experience I'd be in favour of having cities bid to host it and that would include how the city would present and promote it, similiar to what they are now doing for RLWC over last couple of tournaments.

carcharias

Immortal
Perfect weather
Full house
Absolute master class by the storm
Not enough flags festooning the city

Pedge1971

First Grade
Sydney was a fun place to be 15 years ago. Politicians have turned it into a nanny state.

Overpriced, overpopulated, overpolluted, over trafficked overrun souless merkin of a place. Used to be the best city in the world now lags way behind the great cities. Sad really.

In the 80s and 90s you knew the GF was on. Flags adorned the city from Anzac Pde to Martin Place. Everyday there was something on in the city to promote the event it was all we talked about no matter where you were (work, pub etc). All the same attractions were there (culture, beaches, harbour, nightlife was better etc). But gf week was special and the town embraced it.

It was always a massive week in the towns or suburbs where the 2 teams were playing whether in or out of Sydney but Sydney always put on a show.

I have not been there in GF week for a few years but it seems like Sydney has just become sterilised and apathetic about the game which is sad.

I dont think the NRL has helped its cause but maybe moving the game away for a few years is the kick up the arse Sydney needs to care again.

Rant over...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sydney was a fun place to be 15 years ago. Politicians have turned it into a nanny state.

Overpriced, overpopulated, overpolluted, over trafficked overrun souless merkin of a place. Used to be the best city in the world now lags way behind the great cities. Sad really.

In the 80s and 90s you knew the GF was on. Flags adorned the city from Anzac Pde to Martin Place. Everyday there was something on in the city to promote the event it was all we talked about no matter where you were (work, pub etc). All the same attractions were there (culture, beaches, harbour, nightlife was better etc). But gf week was special and the town embraced it.

It was always a massive week in the towns or suburbs where the 2 teams were playing whether in or out of Sydney but Sydney always put on a show.

I have not been there in GF week for a few years but it seems like Sydney has just become sterilised and apathetic about the game which is sad.

I dont think the NRL has helped its cause but maybe moving the game away for a few years is the kick up the arse Sydney needs to care again.

Rant over...

big building site at the moment, and employ some steeet cleaners, place was a disgrace. Nice harbour though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perfect weather
Full house
Absolute master class by the storm
Not enough flags festooning the city

Send the Sydney council to Brisbane for the RLWC final to learn how to host a rl event! No wonder the game is in the shtter in Sydney, can't even Promte the game during gf weekend.

carcharias

Immortal
Send the Sydney council to Brisbane for the RLWC final to learn how to host a rl event! No wonder the game is in the shtter in Sydney, can't even Promte the game during gf weekend.

Who didn’t know it was on?
It was packed ... 2 out of state teams... the result was always going to be a landslide as well.
That Macklemore comedy act made sure it was publicised all around the world.

Or did you need all those Japanese tourists down at the Harbour to be made aware of it.

More flags!!!!
Can the Japanese read Australian flags?

simmo05

Bench
Who didn’t know it was on?
It was packed ... 2 out of state teams... the result was always going to be a landslide as well.
That Macklemore comedy act made sure it was publicised all around the world.

Or did you need all those Japanese tourists down at the Harbour to be made aware of it.

More flags!!!!
Can the Japanese read Australian flags?
The japanese know them as frags

moffla

Bench
FFS Perth red, Sunday was an incredible day. Best Grand Final I've been to from a storm supporter perspective. If that didn't satisfy you then no Grand Final will.

The city was never going to be buzzing for two interstate teams. Just the nature of it

siv

First Grade

Rant over...

Then Clover took over