What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grandfinal Day or Night?

Grandfinal Tradition of Day over Night

• Night

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Day

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BradtheRipper

Juniors
I can't believe the NRL screwed the great Tradition of grandfinal day. I'm sure all the fans want it back like they fixed origin. it just feels right, a good ol' aussie barbeque with family and friends. It's o.k having it on the long weekend so country fans can go, stay and get home the next day. but i don't have 20 beds at the house. freakin television power, they don't even show 1st division because of the news and forty minutes. First division is also being competitive with club salary caps and is so great it should be shown on fox sports anyway. The camera's are just sitting there doing checks ffs.
They've taken the biff, the dally m's the granfinal day atmosphere. F**k up NRL it's our game!

Misty Bee

First Grade
I know it's a hassle with tradition, but I am warming to it. The atmosphere is great at night,and it gives the NRL a chance to showcase the game across Australia. The last 2 GF's outrated the AFL GF, which means it is the most watched sporting event in Australia.

Razor

Coach
I love night matches. If I ever went to the match though, then at night will be tough, as I wouldn't be able to fly back the same night, so therefore need to spend an extra $25 (big-time rip off) for an extra nights accomodation (backpackers hostel)

dimitri

First Grade
i love it at night as well

i think you are wrong about them not showing first division

im pretty sure they have played first division earlier

and played the flegg during the news time - but im not sure

anyway

what they should d

is start the day earlier

so people can still have their BBQ's and watch some footy

eg

Jersey Flegg - 12 - 2:30

First Division - 3 - 5: 30

First Grade - 6:30 - 9

dimitri said:
i love it at night as well

i think you are wrong about them not showing first division

im pretty sure they have played first division earlier

and played the flegg during the news time - but im not sure

That's what they did last year - I'm pretty sure that was a change from previous years.

dimitri said:
anyway

what they should d

is start the day earlier

so people can still have their BBQ's and watch some footy

eg

Jersey Flegg - 12 - 2:30

First Division - 3 - 5: 30

First Grade - 6:30 - 9

Nice idea from a TV point of view but the stadium would be empty for Flegg apart from a few diehards - personally I like the fact that the young blokes get at least a half-full stadium for their game. Also you would need a lot of other entertainment to fill in the gaps between the games.

dimitri

First Grade
perhaps make the day a real rugby league festival

where during the day

each club can have stands outside where you can buy team apparell (this would be a great way for teams to get rid of old stock at a cheaper price), sign up for next years membership etc

get more people at homebush earlier

Ron Jeremy

Coach
dimitri said:
perhaps make the day a real rugby league festival

where during the day

each club can have stands outside where you can buy team apparell (this would be a great way for teams to get rid of old stock at a cheaper price), sign up for next years membership etc

get more people at homebush earlier

Great idea Dimitri.....it could only be a win/win situation for the NRL & with 80,000 present But?? i can imagine Ricky Stuart having a winge on how it's taking away from the focus of the GF or more importantly....his side!!

JTR

Juniors
Having the Grand Final during the day is much better.

It just looks better, feels better, sounds better, IS better...

Also there is much more time afterwards for post match 'festivities'...

:D

Azkatro

First Grade
I don't remember the day Grand Finals ever being unsuccessful during the day, so why was a good formula changed?

I remember the Broncos/Cronulla grand final from 1997. That was probably the most boring grand final I've ever seen.

Having a match like this during the daytime is so important - because the fans and those involved treat it like a "day out". Everything you do that whole day revolves around that one match - and you remember it so much more vividly. When it's at night you do your usual boring Sunday shit during the day then the grand final's at night - it's just not the same.

Look at the biggest finals sport is host to - the FA Cup Final for example. It's a day match, always has been, always will be. Even the English Football cronies, which see more money pass through their competition than most banks probably do, haven't sold out to a night match.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I like the night grand finals are good but its not the same as the traditional day GF's. I know its a long weekend, but I dont like staying up that late just to watch a GF and I used to have an after game party when the GF finished around about 6pm, and now that the GF's finish at about 10.00 or 11.00 theres no party. Not its important but its never been the same. I and like many other fans love the Sunday GF BBQ before the game.

Some of the great Gf's have been quite successful during the day, the build-up was great and the atmosphere was great. I still dont understand why they changed it, the last 2 GF's havent been that great, and the feeling of finishing the season on a night GF is just not the same.

I agree with Azkatro, the Brisbane/Sharks GF in '97 was one of the most boring games Ive ever seen.

Why cant they bring back the day Grand Final's and if its too hot, then bring it back to September.

Southernsaint

Staff member
PARRA_FAN said:
I agree with Azkatro, the Brisbane/Sharks GF in '97 was one of the most boring games Ive ever seen.

There was a Brisbane/Sharks Grand Final in 1997?? :shock:

I remember watching Manly vs Newcastle but don't recall The Scummers making a GF in the 1990's...

For the record, afternoon Grand FInals are far superior to evening ones - for all the reasons stated above, such as being social with friends & family, tradition, better quality football in natural light & less likelyhood of shitty fireworks making viewing through the smoke impossible...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Anonymous

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
For the record, afternoon Grand FInals are far superior to evening ones - for all the reasons stated above, such as being social with friends & family, tradition, better quality football in natural light & less likelyhood of shitty fireworks making viewing through the smoke impossible...
Yes and yes again.
The people have spoken but the time schedule will always be designed to suit the broadcaster... not those who follow the game.

The night grand final, especially on a Sunday, plays havoc with going to work the next day.

For those outside of Sydney, a daytime grand final represents a gathering of friends and family, a BBQ, a few beers, TV on inside, radio on outside, and a great day all round.
A night grand final means sitting up with a few diehards and having to curtial the after-match discussion.

The Kiwis, with a 2 hour time difference, have to stay up late into the night and that must make them really shitty... which is probably the only good thing about night grand finals.
:lol:

Roosterphin

Juniors
The only people who like a night grand final are Sydneysiders who, unlike the rest of the country, have a holiday the next day.

For the rest it is just too late. Bring back the 3.00 kick off

Razor

Coach
Roosterphin said:
The only people who like a night grand final are Sydneysiders who, unlike the rest of the country, have a holiday the next day.

For the rest it is just too late. Bring back the 3.00 kick off

Only if you go to the game.

The match ends around 9:00-9:30 which leaves plenty of time afterwards for an after match party. If you start work at 9:00am and need to be up by 6:00. You don't need to go to bed until around 12:30-1:00 anyway.

syphon

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
The last 2 GF's outrated the AFL GF, which means it is the most watched sporting event in Australia.

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

don't let the facts get in the way of a good yarn.....

National figures from oztam
2001 AFL - 2,603,642 (saturday day)
2001 NRL - 2,097,311 (sunday night)

2002 AFL - 2,625,855
2002 NRL - 2,176,761

and FYI - most watched sporting events:
2001-
1st: Wimbledon - Pat Rafter Final
2nd: AFL Grand Final
3rd: World Swimming Champs Day 8
4th: Soccer World Cup Qualifier v Uruguay
5th: World Swimming Champs Day 6
6th: NRL Grand Final

2002-
1st: World Cup Soccer Final
2nd: AFL Grand Final
3rd: Melbourne Cup
4th: NRL Grand Final

Anonymous

Juniors
syphon said:
Misty Bee said:
The last 2 GF's outrated the AFL GF, which means it is the most watched sporting event in Australia.

Crikey, has wuzbucket Chris 674 found his way here?

Razor

Coach
syphon said:
Misty Bee said:

National figures from oztam
2001 AFL - 2,603,642 (saturday day)
2001 NRL - 2,097,311 (sunday night)

2002 AFL - 2,625,855
2002 NRL - 2,176,761

Notice the "from oztam"

OzTam only rate Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Adeliade

To get the true figures you must add the Oztam and ACNeilson (who rate everywhere else) together.

Viewers in Canberra, Townsville, Newcastle, Gold Coast are not included in those OzTam figures you listed.

2001 figures

NRL - 3.598 mil
AFL - 3.433 mil

Haven't seen the 2002 figures.