What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grass roots in danger

THE NRL revealed it is in danger of turning State of Origin into the Foster’s beer of sport. Loved and adored overseas, disappearing at home.

Swamped by Origin I last week, two stories appeared in Monday’s papers that were largely overlooked but spoke to the bipolar nature of the NRL.

Now that we have resumed normal programming, though, it is time to examine where the NRL is going and can we ever arrest it.
The first and most important was the people of Boggabilla and the town’s fight for a team in the Country Rugby League amid the NRL’s almost total disregard for their plight.

Not even the six mandatory footballs the CRL is supposed to supply to every country team made it their way when they ran out for their first ever formal game of rugby league.

The Boggabilla story is an example of the redemptive powers of rugby league.
Violent factions are a reality of every small town. Small biases often become blood feuds and Boggabilla was no different. Until they got their team.

Young men in town overlooked their prejudices to come together for something bigger, something greater than angry, ancient words.

“It’s brought the entire community together,” Carl McGrady told Phil Rothfield.

Of course there was a McGrady involved. The McGradys are arguably the greatest collection of bush footballers anywhere in the country.

“In small towns like this you have cliques and factions that lead to disagreements,” McGrady said.

“This rugby league team has united the town and brought everyone together like we’ve never witnessed before.”

It moved Parramatta coach Brad Arthur so much he did a whip around for spare equipment to send to Boggabilla. Rugby league, coming together.

At the same time, the same day, the NRL admitted to plans to take a State of Origin game outside their home states every year.

Never one to miss a marketing opportunity, the new NRL and its commission continues to realise the money pit that is Origin and how much more cash could be made by an annual sale to the highest bidder.

Forget the $2 billion television rights. Forget the fact Origin remains, at its heart, an interstate competition between NSW and Queensland.

The game needs to be taken on the road. For a price.

Claims the Origin roadshow is about growth are a little hard to swallow.

For one, just a month before the NRL confirmed its intention to expand the game it allowed the best player in Fiji, a man who could have done untold benefit to the game if he remained in Fijian black and white, to play for Australia.

Semi Radradra is gone for Fiji now. They are looking for a new hero.

Not to worry, there is no money in Fiji anyway.

There is in New Zealand, though, and Perth, a city the NRL has teased for years.

Already the League has indicated Singapore and Hong Kong might be fitting to host NRL grand finals in coming seasons when ANZ Stadium is being rebuilt.

What good is expanding the game to international waters, though, if the game is faltering here?

Junior registration numbers in NSW are in decline. Promises to take more NRL games to the bush, made some years back, are dead. City-Country is on its last legs.

It would be easier to accept the NRL’s grand plan to sell off Origin if there was a grassroots strategy in conjunction with it. They must go together. For the game’s sake. Grow the game here, grow it there.

My concern is that the bloodlines in charge at League Central don’t go far enough back to understand the full picture.

More than 20 years ago I had the Sydney Swans in my ear telling me of all the wonderful things they were doing and how they should be taken seriously in NSW.

The AFL was looking for a foothold. That was all.

We were a rugby league state but the AFL, always building for tomorrow, was undaunted. Figures I reported in 1994 showed the AFL was spending $6 million a year on junior development in regional NSW and Queensland.

The ARL was a quarter of that, $1.5 million.

The ARL’s response was simple. The AFL was wasting its money, we were rugby league states.

It was too simple. Now, AFL registrations rise every year.

Last year the AFL, a greater threat than ever, spent $25 million in both states. Traditional non-AFL states, if it needed to be said. The NRL spent $20 million.

And can’t afford footballs in Boggabilla.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...k/news-story/af0863dcac71013b73444bfdc2f3816e

hutch

First Grade
Crisis! War! Under attack! Taking over! Dying! Threat! Decline! Last legs! Foothold!

It's the same article as his previous 100 articles telling us how the game is being overtaken by other sports. Even if he has some good points, which in this case he does raise an issue about rugby league in the bush, the way he delivers the story by telling us time and time again that another sport is taking over is tiresome.
Typical buzz slothfield moronic article.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/gws...y/news-story/76876c4b88bb72886bf873168c3a3474

Another News corp article on the Midgets with a quote from their executive
?You would love to think this rivalry will get as big as the State of Origin feel you get around town in rugby league over time.?

-
News corp are certainly in love with fumbleball at the moment.
I hope John Grant and co remeber this when the next TV deal comes along and doen't sell us short like he did last time.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Crisis! War! Under attack! Taking over! Dying! Threat! Decline! Last legs! Foothold!

It's the same article as his previous 100 articles telling us how the game is being overtaken by other sports. Even if he has some good points, which in this case he does raise an issue about rugby league in the bush, the way he delivers the story by telling us time and time again that another sport is taking over is tiresome.
Typical buzz slothfield moronic article.

The game spends nowhere near enough money on grassroots and it is suffering as a result, i dont think abyone can dispute that. But i would take issue with any numbers the afl report as they have been proven to be outrught liars in the past. Supposedly a $100m extra is to be pumped in when the new funding is released from the next tv deal, it cant come soon enough imo

Perth Red

Post Whore
People seem to have missed his point entirely. Ignore the talking up of the afl threat and concentrate on the real issue, the lack of strategy and investment by the NRL in grass roots. It was always going to be a risk bringing grass roots and NRL under one roof with the concern that the nrl's eyes would be firmly fixed on the top tier cash cow to the expense of any real plan for the bottom. Seems that concern is now being realised maybe?

People seem to have missed his point entirely. Ignore the talking up of the afl threat and concentrate on the real issue, the lack of strategy and investment by the NRL in grass roots. It was always going to be a risk bringing grass roots and NRL under one roof with the concern that the nrl's eyes would be firmly fixed on the top tier cash cow to the expense of any real plan for the bottom. Seems that concern is now being realised maybe?
Given the choice of paying higher wages to the players or investing in grass roots development I'm sure a vast majority of the NRL clubs would go for higer player wages. They don't seem to realise without grass roots development the game has no future.

siv

First Grade
When someone finally realises thatbthe NRL isnt the ARLC and doesnt represent Australian then things will improve

Anyway I have seen a resurgance in RL on the back of League Tag

Maybe we should use this elseware to allow 16 year olds stay interested when their bodies arnt FG standard

steggz

Juniors
When someone finally realises thatbthe NRL isnt the ARLC and doesnt represent Australian then things will improve

Anyway I have seen a resurgance in RL on the back of League Tag

Maybe we should use this elseware to allow 16 year olds stay interested when their bodies arnt FG standard

Adding to that, this is a NSWRL/CRL/QRL issue first and foremost. If it's a funding issue, they need to take that to the top.

Latest posts