What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest winger ever

WaznTheGreat

Referee
The correct answer to this question is Greg Inglis and Jarryd Hayne,they might be fullbacks now but there the best to ever play on the wing,they played many games there in Origin,club level and for Australia,never a more talented duo to have played on the wing,the original post didn't say the players had to have played there whole career on the wing or play a certain amount of games on the wing to be counted so there's the answer.

End thread.

blaza88z

Coach
If Wendel didn't piss off and play that shit sport. where he was mainly used as a decoy runner im sure he would be considered the best winger to play League. We only had him for about 6 seasons or so but I reckon hes still the best ive seen.

That settles it, Wendell it is

Who is it?

And it has to be in your lifetime

Don't go saying Ken Irvine, or Johnny King or anyone like that. You didn't see them play. And if you did, you're old, & your opinion is worthless.

Then, using your definition, the player cannot be the "greatest winger ever" as you omit players a person has not seen play. You should have said "greatest winger you've seen play" would be more apt.

Stagger Lee

Bench
Brett Morris

The changing of the corner flag rule coincided with his rise to be the best. The original and best at mid air catch and put downs that we have ever seen. Was one of the first to practice using trampolines and bring that technique into the game, plus he had the power to just walk over some of the other opposing wingers.

Also unlike so many of the people mentioned on this thread that were just speed merchants Brett could tackle and is probably one of the best defensive wingers ever.

GongPanther

Referee
Think of someone who is twice as elusive as Josh Addo Carr,and you have Larry Corowa. That bloke was the first freak of the game IMO. It was so unbelieveable the way he used to run around players,you couldn't help but LOL! An absolute delight to watch,and was dragging in crowds just to watch him.

Eric Grothe (Sr) is undeniably the best all round winger who was years ahead of anyone. But at times was found wanting during play as if he was day dreaming.

Honerable mentions go to Nth Sydney pair of Ken Irvine and George Ambrum.As well as Sing,Ferguson (good for two tries Chicka),and Souths former winger Mike Cleary.Souths premiership winning side had one of the most lethal backlines I've ever seen 2nd to the Easts 74' and 75' sides who had winers Bruce Pikett and Ian Shubert who were very,very hard to stop.

JJ

Immortal
And for the mighty Illawarra steelers.
Yes, I followed Penrith back then and was disappointed when he left - missed a premiership too

No love for Manu - a ridiculous number of consecutive seasons with more than 10 tries, and not as fragile as the lowlight reels would have you believe - Albert mentioned Vainikolo and Offiah - the former a joke, and the latter defensively more worrying than Manu

King hit

Coach
You don't score 150 odd tries in first grade if you're shit. Especially when you consider the back lines he was on the end of at times...

In the early 2000's he was a gun player. By about 2010 though the game had changed to the point where he wasn't as effective anymore. Mainly because he was marking up against the likes of Vatuvei, Tuqiri, Sailor, Folau... Blokes who weren't quite as quick as Nathan but had about 10 - 15 kilos on him...

Plus the job of a winger evolved. It wasn't just about scoring a try anymore. You had to be making metres off hit ups and playing like an extra forward at times and of course, he had to tackle blokes that had 10 - 15 kilos on him as well.

Still, he was a great finisher.

He debuted in the early 2000's and was in and out of first grade I wouldn't say that is gun player stuff. His career didn't take off till 2006 when he scored 22 tries. I would say 2009-2011 was when he was at his peak and you saw that's when he wasn't effective anymore. Always knew he would get destroyed in Origin and I was spot on.

Good finisher but I didn't think he was much more than that.

Think of someone who is twice as elusive as Josh Addo Carr,and you have Larry Corowa. That bloke was the first freak of the game IMO. It was so unbelieveable the way he used to run around players,you couldn't help but LOL! An absolute delight to watch,and was dragging in crowds just to watch him.

Eric Grothe (Sr) is undeniably the best all round winger who was years ahead of anyone. But at times was found wanting during play as if he was day dreaming.

Honerable mentions go to Nth Sydney pair of Ken Irvine and George Ambrum.As well as Sing,Ferguson (good for two tries Chicka),and Souths former winger Mike Cleary.Souths premiership winning side had one of the most lethal backlines I've ever seen 2nd to the Easts 74' and 75' sides who had winers Bruce Pikett and Ian Shubert who were very,very hard to stop.

Bill Mullins was the constant on the flank for the 1974-75 Roosters. Schue didn't make it to first grade until 1975, whilst Picket was the usually behind James Porter for the other wing spot. When Porter went to Parramatta at the end of 1974, Schubert was battling Pickett for the vacant wing spot. They only both wound up in the side together once Fairfax went down with a broken leg and Schubert was moved to fullback.