What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenberg wants 2nd Melb team

Vee

First Grade
Do you know how much of a 'minuscule minority' is Vegetarians in Australia?

It's 2.1 million Australians or 11% of the population. (According to Roy Morgan 2016 data).
I call bullshit, Roy Morgan can kiss my non-vegetarian ass.

greenBV4

Bench
Going back to the title of the thread

I think if there were to be a second Melbourne team a better option would be to base them in Geelong

I remember reading a while back that there was an A-league bid for Geelong which includes a new rectangular stadium the same size as AAMI park

It would also still create a "victorian derby" while not directly competing for Melbourne fans, and despite being deep in AFL territory, there is only 1 team from Geelong and no other top tier teams for competition

Despite this I still wouldn't add a second Victorian team before other places such as Perth and Brisbane 2

greenBV4

Bench
I wouldn’t want to risk dividing the Storms fan base with another team. The 1 town 1 team type club should be encouraged.

Hence why I think Geelong would be a better alternative if the NRL was determined on a second Victorian team

But I stated I don't think Victoria is quite ready for a second team yet, but after Perth, Brisbane 2, NZ 2 might be worth looking into

RoosTah

Juniors
Going back to the title of the thread

I think if there were to be a second Melbourne team a better option would be to base them in Geelong

I remember reading a while back that there was an A-league bid for Geelong which includes a new rectangular stadium the same size as AAMI park

It would also still create a "victorian derby" while not directly competing for Melbourne fans, and despite being deep in AFL territory, there is only 1 team from Geelong and no other top tier teams for competition

Despite this I still wouldn't add a second Victorian team before other places such as Perth and Brisbane 2
Smart - I've suspected this would be the best option for a while. Melbourne is tricky to split and it's not like we can do an A-League and just create a "Melbourne City" - we need a region that is growing and has its own identity, and Geelong fits that to a tee.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Smart - I've suspected this would be the best option for a while. Melbourne is tricky to split and it's not like we can do an A-League and just create a "Melbourne City" - we need a region that is growing and has its own identity, and Geelong fits that to a tee.

Altona Roosters for the NRL ;)

Mister M

Juniors

Personally if we were to 'split' Melbourne I would be more interested in looking at aligning an NRL with the proposed 'A-League 11' Dandenong side. If that is the winning A-League bid, that's the direction I would go in-- dedicated rectangular pitch that will be next to public transport along the 'growth' corridor.

The NRL has a big fanbase down the South East area of the city (Pakenham, Cranbourne, etc.) and could be a different identity than placing a team in inner Melbourne or trying to play the game in a city that hasn't currently got a dedicated rectangular crowd (and they won't be able to convert Kardina Park into a rectangular stadium regularly during the winter).

flippikat

Bench
A 2nd Melbourne team before we have a 2nd Brisbane team would not go down well with Queensland. However, I wonder if moving the Titans to Suncorp (maybe with a rebrand & new colours), and adding Perth & Melbourne 2 as teams 17 and 18 would work?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
A 2nd Melbourne team before we have a 2nd Brisbane team would not go down well with Queensland. However, I wonder if moving the Titans to Suncorp (maybe with a rebrand & new colours), and adding Perth & Melbourne 2 as teams 17 and 18 would work?

The Titans are a funny case. They are kind of rejected in Brisbane as a QLD team. This may change over time but they don't have a big following up here at all.

greenBV4

Bench
The Titans are a funny case. They are kind of rejected in Brisbane as a QLD team. This may change over time but they don't have a big following up here at all.

Ive mentioned this in other threads (and maybe this one earlier) but the Titans seem to have a bigger following/presence on the NSW North Coast then anywhere else in Qld (or when I used to live there they did anyway)

I've always thought they should try capitalise on this, somehow add North Coast/Northern Rivers/etc. to their name and play a few games south of the border.
Newcastle is too far south to be a team for all of northern NSW and the population is too small/spread out for their own team, most people I knew who didn't start following the Titans just follow a random team for no particular reason, but with more Titans games on the north coast the titans could grow their fanbase a lot in a strong RL area

MrE_Assassin

Juniors

Yeah, we could make their colours Gold, Blue and Red; and call them the South Queensland Crushers even though they couldn't crush a tinnie let alone a competition. They could have a Coal Train as their logo too even though there is no coal mines south of Brisbane.....

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Anyone who thinks moving the Titans is a good idea has lost the plot. The Gold Coast is the 6th largest city in the country. Yes it’s a proper city, it’s a massive market. Give the Titans fan base time to grow up with the club, the Titans will work in time, plus people in Brisbane hate them lol.

You need Perth , then nz 2 then Brisbane west or Moreton bay as Brisbane 2, with there own stadium and own identity, not playing out of Suncorp. Ask the crushers how well they went trying to cut into the bronco market.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Anyone who thinks moving the Titans is a good idea has lost the plot. The Gold Coast is the 6th largest city in the country. Yes it’s a proper city, it’s a massive market. Give the Titans fan base time to grow up with the club, the Titans will work in time, plus people in Brisbane hate them lol.
Time? :joy: Mate, the Titans have been around for 10 years.

There's been a team on the Gold Coast for 20 of the last 30 years.

It's gone nowhere.

The Crushers were a poorly run club. That's why they failed.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Time? :joy: Mate, the Titans have been around for 10 years.

There's been a team on the Gold Coast for 20 of the last 30 years.

It's gone nowhere.

The Crushers were a poorly run club. That's why they failed.
How many changes and stop and start again clubs have started on the Gold Coast. I’ll say it again a generation needs to grow up with the Titans.

A second club in Brisbane playing in Suncorp won’t be successful I can’t stress that enough.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
How many changes and stop and start again clubs have started on the Gold Coast. I’ll say it again a generation needs to grow up with the Titans.

A second club in Brisbane playing in Suncorp won’t be successful I can’t stress that enough.
They made those changes because those clubs failed mate.

That doesnt really fit your initial claim.

You can stress your point as much as you want, but until you provide some evidence they don't really count for much.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
They made those changes because those clubs failed mate.

That doesnt really fit your initial claim.

You can stress your point as much as you want, but until you provide some evidence they don't really count for much.
Likewise, I have made my point, crushers point proven lol. you can say it was poorly run, but in my opinion knowing this city, your pushing shit up hill trying to cut into the bronco market. the nrl have to go with Ipswich or Moreton bay teams with its own identity away from the broncos.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Likewise, I have made my point, crushers point proven lol. you can say it was poorly run, but in my opinion knowing this city, your pushing shit up hill trying to cut into the bronco market. the nrl have to go with Ipswich or Moreton bay teams with its own identity away from the broncos.
Point proven? :joy: Wow okay, so you're going full confirmation bias.

So you're saying Ipswich or Moreton Bay are big enough to cut into the Brisbane/Sth QLD market, but that the Gold Coast isn't?

Can you at least try to follow your own logic mate?

You just went from calling the GC a major city to saying Ipswich would have a better chance.

The amount of fan and corporate interaction the Broncos get is a clear indicator of what a well run second franchise could tap into.

Sydney can support multiple teams, yet you think Brisbane can't?

A second team out of Suncorp would give rugby league fans in Brisbane a game in their city every week and would give give businesses a chance to get their products advertised twice as often as they are now.

You trying to say a poorly run club from 20 years ago has any relevance on how things are in 2018 is laughable mate.

Not trying to hurt your feelings, but your logic is totally flawed.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Point proven? :joy: Wow okay, so you're going full confirmation bias.

So you're saying Ipswich or Moreton Bay are big enough to cut into the Brisbane/Sth QLD market, but that the Gold Coast isn't?

Can you at least try to follow your own logic mate?

You just went from calling the GC a major city to saying Ipswich would have a better chance.

The amount of fan and corporate interaction the Broncos get is a clear indicator of what a well run second franchise could tap into.

Sydney can support multiple teams, yet you think Brisbane can't?

A second team out of Suncorp would give rugby league fans in Brisbane a game in their city every week and would give give businesses a chance to get their products advertised twice as often as they are now.

You trying to say a poorly run club from 20 years ago has any relevance on how things are in 2018 is laughable mate.

Not trying to hurt your feelings, but your logic is totally flawed.
Wtf are you on ? I’m all for Gold Coast ? When did I say I wasn’t ?.

All you would do in Brisbane is water down the current market, get 20 k each week instead of 35-40. Sydney isn’t a great example for crowds and so on, Sydney needs less teams.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Wtf are you on ? I’m all for Gold Coast ? When did I say I wasn’t ?.

All you would do in Brisbane is water down the current market, get 20 k each week instead of 35-40. Sydney isn’t a great example for crowds and so on, Sydney needs less teams.
You're saying a second team playing out of Suncorp based out of Ipswich would work because Ipswich is big enough, buy it wouldn't work out of the Gold Coast, which is bigger.

Other than that, your argument is basically, "nuh uh".

Okay :joy: Good chat mate.