What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenberg wants 2nd Melb team

siv

First Grade
Hijacked? Hijacked by who exactly?

Are you going tin foil hat on us!?

Well considering that I never said that the Bears Manly merger was a good idea or whatever it is you think I said, it has been understood from the start, so maybe in the future you should actually read stuff before you respond to it...

Yes hatchit

Bears without a NRL licence and $2 mil debt were put into administration

The administrator did a deal with Manly to get their hands on the $8 mil merger money on offer

Thus the Beagles were born

Perth Red

Post Whore
Like previously said the bears were up sht creek already and had racked up debts and were unsustainable, hence why they were in administration. If they had been a solid and successful Sydney club they wouldnt have had to merge, relocate or lose their license. They were one of the weakest links and knew they’d be gone.

Stallion

First Grade
Like previously said the bears were up sht creek already and had racked up debts and were unsustainable, hence why they were in administration. If they had been a solid and successful Sydney club they wouldnt have had to merge, relocate or lose their license. They were one of the weakest links and knew they’d be gone.

PR . The administrator was incompetent! He was a News Ltd stooge! The Bears were shafted!

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Why did they have an administrator? Because they were poorly run and financially screwed!

No, because they were building a stadium at Gosford and it was hit by long periods of poor weather which stopped it from being built on time. The club was forced to play the first 12 games of the 1999 season on the road which hit it hard with attendances and financially. Unfortunately poor timing with the climate of the war at the time. Having said that the club came in 10th in the NRL criteria so made the cut. However administrators had been called in. Given time there is no doubt the club could and would have got back on it's feet but News Ltd/NRL were looking for any excuse to kill off an ARL team. The Bears were gone... a victim of an agenda.

See this video from 34:30min

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue6qFdf7k_s&feature=youtu.be&t=20m42s

No, because they were building a stadium at Gosford and it was hit by long periods of poor weather which stopped it from being built on time. The club was forced to play the first 12 games of the 1999 season on the road which hit it hard with attendances and financially. Unfortunately poor timing with the climate of the war at the time. Having said that the club came in 10th in the NRL criteria so made the cut. However administrators had been called in. Given time there is no doubt the club could and would have got back on it's feet but News Ltd/NRL were looking for any excuse to kill off an ARL team. The Bears were gone... a victim of an agenda.

See this video from 34:30min

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue6qFdf7k_s&feature=youtu.be&t=20m42s
first i've ever seen the Hunter Mariners mascot (walrus) check it out 27.22min lol

Hijacked? Hijacked by who exactly?

Your whole stance has ignored the major fact that no serious genuine effort was made to benefit the code in this area. It was a shambolic attack on the game. So any argument to "justify" the dilution of the code, which you have presented, is flawed and spuriously a waste of time! You are still wasting our time!

Stallion, try to focus son. The bloke asked you a simple question. For all posters sake answer it and allow the debate to flow on from there.

You said the Bears were hijacked. Great Dane has asked "Hijacked by who exactly"

Answer it !!!!

Stallion

First Grade
Stallion, try to focus son. The bloke asked you a simple question. For all posters sake answer it and allow the debate to flow on from there.

You said the Bears were hijacked. Great Dane has asked "Hijacked by who exactly"

Answer it !!!!

News Ltd and people with a poor regard for the code! Thats who mate!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Why is a thread about a second Melbourne team talking about the dead North Sydney team.

Probably the same people who marched for Souths only to see them sell out to a rich kiwi.

Stallion

First Grade
Why is a thread about a second Melbourne team talking about the dead North Sydney team.

Probably the same people who marched for Souths only to see them sell out to a rich kiwi.

Its because the dudes wanting to implode the code in Sydney are using lowlife tactics to somehow think that their destructive stance in Sydney is justification for such expansion. Whereas decent fans know that Sydney clubs are an integral part of the future along with additional expansion clubs. Just have more pieces in a pie that should and deserves to grow!

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
News Ltd and people with a poor regard for the code! Thats who mate!

Why would News want one of the teams in a competition that they basically owned at that point to go through a tumultuous time and basically fall apart? The Northern Eagles going bad was a bad outcome for News as well...

It doesn't follow at all...

And who exactly are these people with poor regard for the code?

The Great Dane

First Grade

Cause there are a handful of people who can't let the Bears go and inject them into every discussion about expansion no matter how irrelevant they are to the discussion at hand...

You couldn't suggest a team from Timbuktu without somebody coming along and saying 'yeah great idea, they can be called the Bears and play half of their games in Sydney, that way the team can have the Timbuktu market and the old Norths fans supporting them"...

The Great Dane

First Grade
Its because the dudes wanting to implode the code in Sydney are using lowlife tactics to somehow think that their destructive stance in Sydney is justification for such expansion. Whereas decent fans know that Sydney clubs are an integral part of the future along with additional expansion clubs. Just have more pieces in a pie that should and deserves to grow!

Who are these "dudes" that want to implode the code in Sydney, you are always referencing them but you've never explained who they are.

Stallion

First Grade
Why would News want one of the teams in a competition that they basically owned at that point to go through a tumultuous time and basically fall apart? The Northern Eagles going bad was a bad outcome for News as well...

It doesn't follow at all...

And who exactly are these people with poor regard for the code?

Im of the opinion rhat News ltd has little genuine regard for the code . I base this on their continued poor coverage of tournaments like the recent world cup, their continued destabilising rhetoric through their influential media power against genuine growth for the code without damaging the core of this competition which is the Sydney clubs. Remembering it was News ltd money that propagated an untimely solut in the game bacj in 1996/97. And the boss/owner of News ltd does not like rugby league. People like yourself are duped with what they read and hear in the News ltd press. So unless you have changed your "implosuon" stance you would be part of 'others ' . Maybe you have changed? Don't know? But North Sydney were shafted in no uncertain terms by News Ltd. And if you havent worked that out please do!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yes hatchit

Bears without a NRL licence and $2 mil debt were put into administration

The administrator did a deal with Manly to get their hands on the $8 mil merger money on offer

Thus the Beagles were born

Still not following how they were hijacked, or whom they were hijacked by...

Stallion

First Grade
Who are these "dudes" that want to implode the code in Sydney, you are always referencing them but you've never explained who they are.

Theirs a few! Do you belueve that Sydney, Illawarra and the Central Coast should have no more than nine top flight clubs and even less clubs? If so you are one of those "dudes"! If not we are fine!

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Still not following how they were hijacked, or whom they were hijacked by...

News ltd for one. And poor administrators that agreed to go to 14 teams which has now by necessity grown to 16 and will go to 18 clubs by the next tv deal. It held the game back. Gave other codes a free kick. The other codes like union are not attractive enough to gain the popular market and the " training run" (AFL) has embarked on a massuve push to have people in NSW and Qld accept its unimpressive code. Yet rugby league still slowly progresses despite the setbacks. One wonders where the code would have been had it not been for the superleague split!? I suggest indisputably the most popular football code in Australia and broadening its base within Asia and surrounds. But that's not happening at as yet. The split stopped this genuine growth occuring. News ltd funded the split .The rest followed.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Im of the opinion rhat News ltd has little genuine regard for the code .

I think that News' regard for anything only extends so far as if they can make money out of it or not, aside from that I don't think that News gives a flying f##k about anything...

I base this on their continued poor coverage of tournaments like the recent world cup, their continued destabilising rhetoric through their influential media power against genuine growth for the code without damaging the core of this competition which is the Sydney clubs.

I don't think that their coverage of anything is particularly good, so why you'd think that their coverage of RL would be any better I don't know.

And the coverage of the sport is terrible across the board the not just at News, so why you'd choose to single them out for criticism in this regard I don't know, the ABCs' treatment of the sport is much more deplorable in my opinion, especially considering that they are a taxpayer funded...

And what "destabilising rhetoric through their influential media power against genuine growth for the code without damaging the core of this competition which is the Sydney clubs." I haven't seen any articles recently from News calling for Sydney clubs to be wrapped up or anything of the sort, sounds interesting though you've got some links.

Remembering it was News ltd money that propagated an untimely solut in the game bacj in 1996/97.

So? They thought they could make money out of the game and took the opportunity to do so, doesn't mean that they have some vendetta against the sport to destroy it... If anything it means the exact opposite as if the sport was destroyed it servery hurt them in their back pocket as they had a vested in the sport as well.
In a simplified way I think that their intentions were pure (to take RL to the next level and make it a more profitable enterprise while making a dime at the same time) but the way that they went about it was terrible.

And the boss/owner of News ltd does not like rugby league.

Why would you expect him to like RL!?

Rupert Murdoch was born and raised in Melbourne and spent a good chunk of time when he was younger in Adelaide as well, of course he isn't going to be a big RL fan. Why would you expect him to be, and why does it matter anyway?

BTW, Lachlan Murdoch on the other hand is supposedly a really big RL fan.

People like yourself are duped with what they read and hear in the News ltd press.

I basically don't partake in any News Corp content except to watch live NRL games on Fox and some movies that 20th century Fox produces, so yeah I'm not duped by anything that they produce cause I don't read/watch any of their newspapers or whatever except on the odd occasion that one is linked on here in a thread on a topic that I'm interested in on this forum...

So unless you have changed your "implosuon" stance you would be part of 'others ' .

You have proven to me on multiple occasions that you don't have a clue what my stance on anything is, and you've never bothered to clarify what it is, so how you know that I have an ""implosion" stance" on anything I don't know.

Maybe you have changed? Don't know? But North Sydney were shafted in no uncertain terms by News Ltd. And if you havent worked that out please do!

I don't see how Norths were shafted by News.

News didn't force the Bears to unsuccessfully relocate to the CC (if anything that was the ARL promising them that they'd be exempt from rationalisation if they relocated), News didn't bankrupt them by trying to build a stadium on the CC, News didn't delay the construction of said stadium by divining bad weather, News didn't force them into a desperate merger with the Eagles in an attempt to save themselves, News didn't play a part in any of the shenanigans that went on in said merger (that were perpetuated by both sides), etc, etc.

News had nothing to do with the Bears downfall, the Bears downfall was a mixture of poor decision making on their part, very poor timing, and a shit ton of bad luck as well, to blame their situation on News is at best just plain wrong and at worst massively conspiratorial.

Stallion

First Grade
I think that News' regard for anything only extends so far as if they can make money out of it or not, aside from that I don't think that News gives a flying f##k about anything...

I don't think that their coverage of anything is particularly good, so why you'd think that their coverage of RL would be any better I don't know.

And the coverage of the sport is terrible across the board the not just at News, so why you'd choose to single them out for criticism in this regard I don't know, the ABCs' treatment of the sport is much more deplorable in my opinion, especially considering that they are a taxpayer funded...

And what "destabilising rhetoric through their influential media power against genuine growth for the code without damaging the core of this competition which is the Sydney clubs." I haven't seen any articles recently from News calling for Sydney clubs to be wrapped up or anything of the sort, sounds interesting though you've got some links.

So? They thought they could make money out of the game and took the opportunity to do so, doesn't mean that they have some vendetta against the sport to destroy it... If anything it means the exact opposite as if the sport was destroyed it servery hurt them in their back pocket as they had a vested in the sport as well.
In a simplified way I think that their intentions were pure (to take RL to the next level and make it a more profitable enterprise while making a dime at the same time) but the way that they went about it was terrible.

Why would you expect him to like RL!?

Rupert Murdoch was born and raised in Melbourne and spent a good chunk of time when he was younger in Adelaide as well, of course he isn't going to be a big RL fan. Why would you expect him to be, and why does it matter anyway?

BTW, Lachlan Murdoch on the other hand is supposedly a really big RL fan.

I basically don't partake in any News Corp content except to watch live NRL games on Fox and some movies that 20th century Fox produces, so yeah I'm not duped by anything that they produce cause I don't read/watch any of their newspapers or whatever except on the odd occasion that one is linked on here in a thread on a topic that I'm interested in on this forum...

You have proven to me on multiple occasions that you don't have a clue what my stance on anything is, and you've never bothered to clarify what it is, so how you know that I have an ""implosion" stance" on anything I don't know.

I don't see how Norths were shafted by News.

News didn't force the Bears to unsuccessfully relocate to the CC (if anything that was the ARL promising them that they'd be exempt from rationalisation if they relocated), News didn't bankrupt them by trying to build a stadium on the CC, News didn't delay the construction of said stadium by divining bad weather, News didn't force them into a desperate merger with the Eagles in an attempt to save themselves, News didn't play a part in any of the shenanigans that went on in said merger (that were perpetuated by both sides), etc, etc.

News had nothing to do with the Bears downfall, the Bears downfall was a mixture of poor decision making on their part, very poor timing, and a shit ton of bad luck as well, to blame their situation on News is at best just plain wrong and at worst massively conspiratorial.

Still havent undestood! Others do!? The main reason why the BEARS and other clubs were compromised was as a result of a News Ltd funded breakaway split in the code. This is the core of the games issues. You have not acknowledged this therefore we dissagree. It's a fundamental difference in where the issues confronting the code have come from. Once again you are wasting time!
With respect to News Ltd's tv coverage it is noticeable that they give codes that are clearly not popular a hell of alot more publicity not commensurate with their actual relevance in the Australian sport psyche. For example, rugby union gets far more coverage than it deserves within the fox channels than its real world relevance/popularity in Australian sporting interest. Fox is basically propagating/promoting less deserving codes that don't rate anywhere near rugby league's ratings levels. That's one example of the not so well slanted News ltd approach toward rugby league. The ratings achieved by rugby league are not commensurately reflected in the Fox sports overall coverage whereas other lesser codes get the same amount of coverage /publicity and do not deliver the same ratings success. Even the rugby league channel should have had much more real time rugby-league content during the off season! Especially with a world cup on and I dont accept that this didnt happen because Fox wasnt civering the world cup. It was in Foxs interest to adequately cover this important tournament regardless for its number one rating sport!
Btw. Their are many inconsistencies in your justification and deflecting of News Ltd's role in the fiasco that occured so I'll leave it at that. You are wasting my time and energy with your poor assesment of what has happened to rugby league. We differ!

Last edited:

Latest posts