What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenshields Re-signs

Deacon

First Grade
Dragons re-sign Greenshields
September 22, 2005

ST George-Illawarra fullback Clint Greenshields will play in the preliminary final against Wests Tigers on Saturday with his mind clear of contract talks after agreeing a one-year extension with the Dragons.

The 23-year-old has been a strong contributor for the Dragons since nailing down a starting position in the second half of the season.

He has been with the Dragons for two years, but club chief executive Peter Doust admitted signing Greenshields for an another year in 2006 had been a long and difficult process.

"Greenshields is an exceptional talent and we are happy to have come to a deal after lengthy negotiations," Doust said.

"We found it difficult to come to an agreement due to salary cap restraints but both parties are happy with the end result.

"Greenshields has had an exceptional 2005 season and we are very pleased to see him stay with the Dragons."

With Ben Hornby switching to halfback after Mathew Head's season-ending knee injury, Greenshields has played 14 consecutive matches at fullback.

"I enjoy playing at the Dragons and am very pleased to be staying with such a great club," Greenshields said.

"It's exciting playing each week with so many experienced players and also some stars of the future.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Greenshields extends contract for further 12 months
Written by: Dragons media
22/09/2005

NRL_Dragons_Greenshields_220905.jpg

After lengthy negotiations St George Illawarra fullback Clint Greenshields has today agreed to terms for a further twelve months with the Dragons.

Greenshields, 23, has made a significant contribution to the Dragons in 2005 playing 14 consecutive matches at fullback. Clint has already been with the Club for two years and has this year risen to the challenge of competing in the NRL on a regular basis.

“Greenshields has had an exceptional 2005 season and we are very pleased to see him stay with the Dragons. I am pleased to see him “back himself” at the Dragons for 2006,” said Dragons Chief Executive Officer Peter Doust.

“Greenshields is an exceptional talent and we are happy to have come to a deal after lengthy negotiations,” added Doust. “We found it difficult to come to an agreement due to salary cap restraints but both parties are happy with the end result.”

Greenshields decided to stay with the Dragons after enjoying the past two years with the Club and earning a permanent NRL position in 2005.

“I enjoy playing at the Dragons and am very pleased to be staying with such a great Club,” said Greenshields. “It’s exciting playing each week with so many experienced players and also some stars of the future”

“I’ll be working extremely hard to maintain my position in next year’s NRL side”.

www.jubileeavenue.com.au
www.dragons.com.au

Wobbygong

First Grade
Works out great for us. I'd rather him join the Gold Coast than turn up at the Scum or Bulldogs for 2006

wildmooka

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
just a question.
where will he play next yr if all backs are fit??

Premier League.:shock:

Ben Hornby is the clubs number 1 fullback. Matt Head is the clubs number 1 halfback, only injury or poor form will see him get a regular spot in 1st grade next season. Quite bizzare, eh!

Spitty

Juniors
Hope for the sake of the dragons he can get back into some good form now. He has been a little bit shakey and over the past 3 or 4 games and it looked as though these negotiations were playing on his mind. He's a great player watch when he's in form.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The thing is, there are always injuries and there'll be players on Origin duty. Greenshields will see plenty of first grade. Even if Hornby doesn't play Origin and never gets injured, he'll find himself at five eighth covering for Barrett or even in the centres.

If he is going to the Gold Coast in 2007 (a gimme if you believe some reports), then not too many clubs will sign Greenshields just for one season.

He's one of the best fullbacks going around and will add depth to Saints' back line in 2006.