What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenzy.

Immortal
BTW Dave

I get 2 mentions and a full post out of your last 4 posts.

You're not stalking me are you?

That'd be naughty.

At least I'd get to play the victim like you :)

Dave Q

Coach
BTW Dave

I get 2 mentions and a full post out of your last 4 posts.

You're not stalking me are you?

That'd be naughty.

At least I'd get to play the victim like you :)

Youre a pathetic, dishonest, cowardly on-line bully who has his head fully stuck up his arse.

You deserve to be abused as much as possible.

topKing

ok i just spent the past 4 and a half hours reading this thread from the beginning.

i have 1 conclusion: daveq is a dumbmerkin

topKing

oh wow. i just wasted my 100th post writing that. it needed more fanfare. i'll save something up for number 200, dont worry.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...-birds-sentence/2009/06/28/1246127430150.html
Mother recounts pain at Bird's sentence
Adrian Proszenko | June 29, 2009
THE mother of rugby league star Greg Bird has spoken about the pain of witnessing her son sentenced to jail, saying she is struggling with the verdict even more than the former Cronulla playmaker.

The former Australian international was sentenced to jail for a minimum of eight months in a Sydney court last week for attacking girlfriend Katie Milligan with a glass, although bail was later granted pending an appeal.

He remains in Australia ahead of a separate court hearing relating to a nightclub incident in 2008.

"The thing that hurt me the most was seeing Greg being taken into custody," Iris Bird told the Herald. "I was sitting in a row behind him and he looked at me as if to say 'Mum, can't you do something?'. It was like he was a little boy again, pleading with me … It's not the outcome we expected.

"I'm not going good. I feel really depressed and cry all the time. It's affected all of us in some way or another.

"He's taking it OK. We had a funeral [on Friday] of a close friend and that knocked him around as well. He's going OK considering everything. A lot better than I am, anyway."

She said that despite the most recent setback, Milligan and her son remained in a committed relationship.

"The hardest thing for me to understand is that Katie has never blamed him for it," Iris Bird said.

"Her parents … if my daughter was living abroad and with someone who did that to my daughter, I'd never forgive him. But her parents are really good with it. [It suggests] there's even more to it than meets the eye."

Iris Bird burst into tears when asked about the prospect of seeing her son behind bars.

"It's something that I just don't want to think about," she said. "Hopefully, with the appeal, it won't come to that."

Brent Watson, the life-long friend Greg Bird attempted to blame for Milligan's eye injury, expressed sympathy for the former Sharks international in a text message he sent to the Herald. "That's a positive thing," Iris Bird said.

"They were pretty good mates and that was the worst thing that happened, to blame him for it.

"It came out in court that Katie said it and Greg carried the lie along."

The Sharks dumped Bird after the incident with his girlfriend and he subsequently took up an offer with Super League club Catalans.

They named Bird as their captain soon after his arrival but the latest developments cloud his playing career.

Iris Bird held out hope that her son would be able to play football again.

"He's still hopeful. It depends on the appeal [and] how that goes," she said.

Quigs

Immortal
OT. Sorry ...

Watched the catalins go round yesterday on Channel Nein.

It says a lot for a superleague team such as Castleford that they play Dean Widders in the Centers. Geeze the bloke had as big as gut as me.

Cats beat Cas by the way for those that give a sh!t

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Dave Q

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...-birds-sentence/2009/06/28/1246127430150.html
THE mother of rugby league star Greg Bird has spoken about the pain of witnessing her son sentenced to jail, saying she is struggling with the verdict even more than the former Cronulla playmaker.

The former Australian international was sentenced to jail for a minimum of eight months in a Sydney court last week for attacking girlfriend Katie Milligan with a glass, although bail was later granted pending an appeal.

He remains in Australia ahead of a separate court hearing relating to a nightclub incident in 2008.

"The thing that hurt me the most was seeing Greg being taken into custody," Iris Bird told the Herald. "I was sitting in a row behind him and he looked at me as if to say 'Mum, can't you do something?'. It was like he was a little boy again, pleading with me … It's not the outcome we expected.

"I'm not going good. I feel really depressed and cry all the time. It's affected all of us in some way or another.

"He's taking it OK. We had a funeral [on Friday] of a close friend and that knocked him around as well. He's going OK considering everything. A lot better than I am, anyway."

She said that despite the most recent setback, Milligan and her son remained in a committed relationship.

"The hardest thing for me to understand is that Katie has never blamed him for it," Iris Bird said.

"Her parents … if my daughter was living abroad and with someone who did that to my daughter, I'd never forgive him. But her parents are really good with it. [It suggests] there's even more to it than meets the eye."

Iris Bird burst into tears when asked about the prospect of seeing her son behind bars.

"It's something that I just don't want to think about," she said. "Hopefully, with the appeal, it won't come to that."

Brent Watson, the life-long friend Greg Bird attempted to blame for Milligan's eye injury, expressed sympathy for the former Sharks international in a text message he sent to the Herald. "That's a positive thing," Iris Bird said.

"They were pretty good mates and that was the worst thing that happened, to blame him for it.

The Sharks dumped Bird after the incident with his girlfriend and he subsequently took up an offer with Super League club Catalans.

They named Bird as their captain soon after his arrival but the latest developments cloud his playing career.

I wonder if he is using the same lawyers?

His mum's anguish is a good example of the collateral damage caused to loved ones and friends by the lethal combination of violence and alcohol abuse.

If her comments are accurately reported, his mum appears to be in some sort of denial or excuse mode. She is still trying to cast doubt etc over what happened. It has been reported that Watson was more than very angry over what Bird did. Perhaps he has had a change of heart?

This denial, fog and squibbing, well thats the same kind of thinking that doesnt appear to have been of much help to him throughout the matter.

And people expect his mum to say kind things of him, because she loves him. Thats good, I understand and respect her position.

She certainly doesnt seem to be ashamed of him.

But he is going go better at court if he abandons all the excuses and bullsh*t and focuses on taking full ownership and responsibility for his crime.

But I do agree with her that gaol is the wrong way to go for her son.

As Ive said, if gaol is so effective, why are there so many villians who re-offend once they get out?

In many cases, gaol is not the answer, and from what I understand of the matter, it is not the best solution for Bird.

Last edited:

Frailty

First Grade

ROFL! Not a bad quote...

Dave Q

Coach
ohhh ohhh i know mr kotter

because they are criminals

did i get it right?

If they werent found by the court to be criminals the then wouldnt be in gaol.

But the point was, that gaol hasnt helped a number of these guys stop their criminal activity. They re-offend.

And stopping crime, nuffie, is the main point of gaol.

I wonder if he is using the same lawyers?

His mum's anguish is a good example of the collateral damage caused to loved ones and friends by the lethal combination of violence and alcohol abuse.

If her comments are accurately reported, his mum appears to be in some sort of denial or excuse mode. She is still trying to cast doubt etc over what happened. It has been reported that Watson was more than very angry over what Bird did. Perhaps he has had a change of heart?

This denial, fog and squibbing, well thats the same kind of thinking that doesnt appear to have been of much help to him throughout the matter.

And people expect his mum to say kind things of him, because she loves him. Thats good, I understand and respect her position.

She certainly doesnt seem to be ashamed of him.

But he is going go better at court if he abandons all the excuses and bullsh*t and focuses on taking full ownership and responsibility for his crime.

But I do agree with her that gaol is the wrong way to go for her son.

As Ive said, if gaol is so effective, why are there so many villians who re-offend once they get out?

In many cases, gaol is not the answer, and from what I understand of the matter, it is not the best solution for Bird.

That's the kind of leftist bullsh*t that is ruining this country.

Here's a tip... IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT THE "POOR" CRIMINALS.

Recidivism will always exist because there are some people that are just karrnts. Plain and simple karrnts.

You can rub their tummies all you want, but they'll still steal the coins from your jam jar all because their Dad didn't hug them one time when they were two and a half.

Frailty

First Grade
That's the kind of leftist bullsh*t that is ruining this country.

Here's a tip... IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT THE "POOR" CRIMINALS.

Recidivism will always exist because there are some people that are just karrnts. Plain and simple karrnts.

You can rub their tummies all you want, but they'll still steal the coins from your jam jar all because their Dad didn't hug them one time when they were two and a half.

I think this sort of debate belongs in 4 corners, but just so you know Dave Q does have a point without the 'leftist bullsh*t'. There are much better alternatives, such as restorative justice measures, for lower level crimes than gaol which offer much smaller recidivism rates. It is at these levels which gaol needs to be avoided... But certainly for murder, sexual assault, and other violent crimes it is not wise to remove gaol sentences...

But back to the Bird thing, I'm sure his mum is upset... I would be too if I had fathered a brain dead twat...

Eion

First Grade
I think this sort of debate belongs in 4 corners, but just so you know Dave Q does have a point without the 'leftist bullsh*t'. There are much better alternatives, such as restorative justice measures, for lower level crimes than gaol which offer much smaller recidivism rates. It is at these levels which gaol needs to be avoided... But certainly for murder, sexual assault, and other violent crimes it is not wise to remove gaol sentences...

But back to the Bird thing, I'm sure his mum is upset... I would be too if I had fathered a brain dead twat...
Agree with most of that frailty. There's no silver bullet solution here though and as bird was convicted of a violent act against a woman he can sit in the big house for a couple of years for all i care.

Status
Not open for further replies.