What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greyhound Racing shut down in NSW

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Direct from Mike Baird, Premier of NSW's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/mikebairdMP/posts/1135211593273747

In response to widespread illegal and unconscionable activity, including the slaughtering of tens of thousands of dogs, I can today announce that NSW is putting an end to greyhound racing.

More than a year ago, we established a Special Commission of Inquiry into the greyhound industry after very disturbing reports emerged of cruelty to animals and other illegal activities.

We have now received the report of the Commission, conducted by former High Court Judge Michael McHugh, and the findings are damning. A link to the whole report is below, but some of the findings include:

• The mass killing of greyhounds. The report found, “In NSW in the last 12 years… somewhere between 48,891 and 68,448 dogs were killed because they were considered too slow to pay their way or were unsuitable for racing.” In the industry, they call this “wastage”. It’s not wastage: it is the unnecessary slaughtering of tens of thousands of healthy dogs.

• The widespread practice of “live baiting”. This is where live animals, like rabbits, are used as bait to be chased by dogs in training sessions. The report found that, even though this is already illegal and carries heavy penalties, “a trainer, who admitted to engaging in live baiting, testified that about 10-20% of trainers engaged in live baiting.”

• The systemic deception of the public concerning the numbers of deaths and injuries of dogs. It is estimated that 180 greyhounds per year sustain catastrophic injuries during races such as skull fractures or broken backs that result in their immediate death. But the commission found that “Greyhound Racing NSW had adopted a policy of deliberately misreporting the extent of injuries suffered by greyhounds at racetracks.”

• The industry is not capable, in the short or medium term, of reforming. The report found that “it appears unlikely that the issue of the large scale killing of healthy greyhounds by the industry can be addressed successfully in the future.” In fact, the report found that, "such is the culture of the industry and some of its leaders that it is no longer, if it ever was, entitled to the trust of the community."

One of the issues we have had to wrestle with is the positive impact of the greyhound racing industry. There are over 1000 direct jobs in the industry and nearly 6000 registered owners of greyhounds. Dog racing can be an important part of the social fabric of regional towns. And, of course, having a punt on the dogs over a few beers is good fun for many people.

So, as Mr McHugh asked, do such benefits of the dog racing industry outweigh the shortcomings?

Based on this report, the Government believes they do not.

Greyhound racing has been banned in many countries and many states of the US and is legal in only eight countries around the world. NSW will be the first state in Australia to ban it.

Over the coming months, we will consult with the industry to help minimise the pain as best we can for the innocent industry participants as we work towards an orderly industry shutdown. We will develop a strategy to work with the RSPCA to manage the welfare of existing greyhounds. And the transition arrangement for Greyhound Racing NSW assets (like greyhound racing tracks) will ensure they are used for open public space, alternative sports facilities or other community use.

I feel much empathy for innocent trainers and those who will lose their job or hobby as a result of this. And I understand the disappointment of people who enjoy having a punt on the dogs. But we simply cannot and will not stand-by and allow the widespread and systemic mistreatment of animals.

You can read the full report here:http://www.greyhoundracinginquiry.justice.nsw.gov.au/

Dogs Of War

Coach
Love my greyhounds, spent plenty of nights at Wenty Park when living at Glebe. That said, having read the report a bit, they really have no choice. It's not like operations can't move to interstate if you are makign a career out of it, though there isn't a lot of money in the sport really anyhow.

What was interesting is the hit on Tabcorp shares. If I had cash I would be straight into buying some cause they are sure to rebound when people realise that those betting on dogs are just going to bet on something else instead (or if they like Dogs that much, the interstate Dog races which will fill the void).

juro

Bench
To me, the only reason greyhound racing exists as a sport is for gambling. I have no time for it, alongside horse racing.

Foz

Bench
So the authorities couldn't control the illegal activities of a minority of people so they shut the industry down.
Why wasn't the decision announced before the election?
I'm not into politics but I know I won't ever be voting for this Baird bloke.

Maybe they should shut politics down because of the minority of crooked politicians.

Timmah

Staff member
The decision wasn't announced before the election because the inquiry into the industry wasn't complete. The recommendations were handed down and NSW Government has taken action.

And how do you propose they control the slaying of somewhere in the vicinity of 50,000 innocent dogs?

Foz

Bench
The inquiry took 12 months and the decision just happened to come up a few days after the election.
Think about it.Coincidence?
You prosecute the people responsible for the crime.
How many people have they arrested for the slaughter of the greyhounds?

That's what you do prosecute the guilty people you just don't give up and close the industry down.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The inquiry took 12 months and the decision just happened to come up a few days after the election.
Think about it.Coincidence?
You prosecute the people responsible for the crime.
How many people have they arrested for the slaughter of the greyhounds?

That's what you do prosecute the guilty people you just don't give up and close the industry down.
Spot on.

magpie4ever

First Grade
The decision wasn't announced before the election because the inquiry into the industry wasn't complete. The recommendations were handed down and NSW Government has taken action.

And how do you propose they control the slaying of somewhere in the vicinity of 50,000 innocent dogs?

Wrong buddy, the report was completed (handed to the appropriate ministers) well before the election, it was released (made public) after the election.

I also find the figure of 50k greyhounds put down in NSW over a 12 year period (I think that is the time period in the report) - that is about 12 per day every day of the week during that period - given the average litter about 6 pups, that is 2 litters per day - I'm calling bullshit. The figures don't add up.

Timmah

Staff member
Yes. A government inquiry fabricated animal cruelty to shut down an industry.

Jesus, some people really will say anything.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Yes. A government inquiry fabricated animal cruelty to shut down an industry.

Jesus, some people really will say anything.

Don't deflect chumpion, was the report published before the election?

And as said the figures don't add up. Plus I didn't know the euthanizing of an animal was considered animal cruelty, thought it was a humane way to end an animal's life.

Timmah

Staff member
The report was published on 16 June 2016, about 15 months after the election. In fact it wasn't commissioned til May 2015, two months after it.

Unless of course you're referring to the federal election which is not really relevant.

But go on, keep defending the cruelty that was taking place in order to take political stabs.

And deflect. Which you seem to be accusing me of.

magpie4ever

First Grade
The report was published on 16 June 2016, about 15 months after the election. In fact it wasn't commissioned til May 2015, two months after it.

Unless of course you're referring to the federal election which is not really relevant.

But go on, keep defending the cruelty that was taking place in order to take political stabs.

And deflect. Which you seem to be accusing me of.

Chump, posters were referring to the report being released after the Federal Election. As you have now conceded it was held back by Baird (and his extremely right wing churchies) so as not to hurt Mr Mansion man.

Timmah

Staff member
Nobody said Federal.

And jesus, if you think the greyhound vote would've swayed the electorate I don't think you understand how many people out there would side with allegations of animal cruelty over a niche industry.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Nobody said Federal.

And jesus, if you think the greyhound vote would've swayed the electorate I don't think you understand how many people out there would side with allegations of animal cruelty over a niche industry.

Dude, you can't be that dopey with regards to what election posters were referring too.

Regards your 2nd paragraph, why are certain nats out in force saying they are opposed to the ban, some regional towns will be seriously effected. Dapto, would be a good example - owners, trainers, course workers, butchers - kangaroo & horse meat providers, vets, pet shop owners - should I go on.

As said for every action, there is a reaction. And I'm still calling the numbers quoted in the report as B/S.

Foz

Bench
Nobody's siding with animal cruelty.

If you had any idea of how some of these people love their dogs youd be amazed.
Obviously you have no idea.

Timmah

Staff member
I do have an idea. And it sucks for them a lot. But 50,000 dogs killed sucks far more. And how would the ones doing wrong even start to rehabilitate?

Foz

Bench
Sorry my mistake.What trainers have you visited recently?
We may know the same people.

Timmah

Staff member
I know a few people who have family involved in the industry. They're obviously crushed and of course I feel for them.

Timmah

Staff member
That said, there's no rule which says one has to know/be in the industry to comment...

Sphagnum

Coach
Can't help but feel, like most of the changes this merkins has made in NSW, that this will just line some developer's pockets again.

punishing everyone for the behaviour of a few absolute deadshits is primary school teacher thinking. Give the industry an opportunity to reform rather than just pulling the pin entirely.

The government oversees the GRNSW so it was them who turned a blind eye and pretended this shit wasn't going on. Accept some responsibility and fix your shit rather than throwing your hands in the air and blaming ALL of the participants for your own failures.

Latest posts