What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gus is of the humble opinion that it was a Penalty Try.

OldPanther

Coach
No I don't watch QLDrs only, but I would suggest that he is being paid to provide his opinion (as boneheaded as it may be). Gus is being paid to provide colour commentary and expert analysis. I doubt anyone received any enjoyment or enlightenment from Gus angrily repeating himself.

You keep saying he was angry but he wasn't. He was excitable in tone but no way he's angry over NSW getting a penalty try or a QLD player sent off.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
You keep saying he was angry but he wasn't. He was excitable in tone but no way he's angry over NSW getting a penalty try or a QLD player sent off.

Nah that was an angry tone - completely different to the way he normally comically blows up (ie No, no, no, no, no). Anyone could tell. And it wasn't his commentary after the decision had been made. It was in the lead up where he clearly was incensed that NSW didn't score and may have thought the refs wouldn't have the balls to give a penalty try.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I can live with the call but I reserve the right to point out that Boyd Cordner is a pathetic low merkin diver, a diver who took a dive, faked getting knocked over to manipulate the outcome, a cheat if you will. A successful cheat, but a dirty low-down javelin-headed grub of an unsportsmanlike piece of excrement who is willing to trade the spirit of the game for a few seconds of fleeting glory by pretending to be obliterated by a tiny halfback who barely moved.

Wasn't even a dive. He got shouldered while off balance running full tilt. The hit pushed him sideways and whie he might have flailed a bit with his arms he was always going down.

Compare it to Cooper's dive. He gets held back. then takes another step. and magically falls to the floor cos his legs dont work anymore

Um
He is a pain in the arse and a wanker and a merkin and tool bag and a fat egotistical c**k smoker.... but a moron?
Nup.
He knows footy better than most.
He lacks credibility and has done for a while now. Who can forget his infamous comments about Slater's ability or 'switching Lockyer from FB to 5/8 won't work'. Often full of shit and plays his favs over and over again...

gUt

Coach
Gus got another thing wrong in commentary. He said, a gust of wind could have blown Cordner over. He should have added, again.

carcharias

Immortal
God I’m loving how much this loss has hurt the qldrs.
They are still crying about a piece of commentary.

I have news for you
He will be back doing it all again in game 3.
Imagine how smug he will be then now the series is dead for QLD.

typicalfan

Coach
What does that have to do with Cordner's dive?
Not a lot but what difference does it make anyway. If he doesn’t fall over he is the first to the ball comfortably and scores a try anyway. So what does Cordner gain? A slightly easier kick for Maloney?

gUt

Coach
Not a lot but what difference does it make anyway. If he doesn’t fall over he is the first to the ball comfortably and scores a try anyway. So what does Cordner gain? A slightly easier kick for Maloney?

Respect for not being a diving diver who took a dive.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
God I’m loving how much this loss has hurt the qldrs.
They are still crying about a piece of commentary.

I have news for you
He will be back doing it all again in game 3.
Imagine how smug he will be then now the series is dead for QLD.

He wasn't smug at all. He was audibly upset.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I was one of those morons on the night as well as the thousands viewing at home. I'm sure many of us were saying it, over and over. On behalf of us morons- you're a fkn dribbler.

That's the point. Gus wasn't on the couch beside you was he? He's supposed to be a commentator, not a "moron" at home.

Blues Riff

Bench
That's the point. Gus wasn't on the couch beside you was he? He's supposed to be a commentator, not a "moron" at home.
A side commentator's role is slightly different. Gus is paid for opinions and analysis. He was filling in dead air while the decision was being made. He obviously felt strongly about it, as did many, but to suggest he was upset or angry is laughable.

betcats

Referee

Gould is the mastermind behind NSWs triumph this season, of course he is going to be riding the result!

Unbiased commentary of an origin game? i've never f**king heard of it.

gUt

Coach
Wasn't even a dive. He got shouldered while off balance running full tilt. The hit pushed him sideways and whie he might have flailed a bit with his arms he was always going down.

Mate. Come on. It's a dive. His legs stopped moving like he was hit with a taser

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
A side commentator's role is slightly different. Gus is paid for opinions and analysis. He was filling in dead air while the decision was being made. He obviously felt strongly about it, as did many, but to suggest he was upset or angry is laughable.

Read my comment about Gus being a colour commentator. I agree that he is there to provide opinion and analysis, but tell me what analysis is involved in repeating loudly and in an angry tone "It's a penalty try".

You just compared his comments to thousands of NSW fans who would have been angrily yelling the same thing at the TV in that moment. Now you're contradicting yourself.

Latest posts