What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Half time against the slime

Tiger05

First Grade
Idris to me looks like a solution to our right edge back row spot. Maybe he will gain enough speed to play centre but it doesn't appear likely.

Chee-Kam to me looks great. I think he deserves a spot over Lawrence in the backrow but maybe he can slot into centre. I think though he is a great bench player or edge backrower.

I honestly think we only need a player or two to improve significantly. I think a quality winger and a half could transform our team. We needed a better coach than Taylor and we needed some stability off field that I think was predominantly due to the big 4 not signing or going. I think this year we may get the squad sorted depending on if we keep Tedesco and sign a couple of players in key positions. I think though this year is probably a write off and it's a shame because our squad isn't bad and I think we could have had a good year. The players though and the signing dramas have really caused our issues. I suppose Taylor was also a terrible coach and that was a contributing factor as well.

Clifferd

Coach
In addition to

Size in the backrow isn't the be all and end all, for example the roosters backrow consists of

Cordner, Aubusson and Guerra

Dragons

Thompson, Frizzell, De Belin

Aren't the biggest players but are competent in what they do. Generally your backrow should be the best defenders in your team and be able to run consistent lines

Tiger Woody

Juniors
MM has been a revelation..His bursts from dummy half and his ability to score tries close to the line have been fantastic.
Needs his contract extended asap.

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Idris to me looks like a solution to our right edge back row spot. Maybe he will gain enough speed to play centre but it doesn't appear likely.

Chee-Kam to me looks great. I think he deserves a spot over Lawrence in the backrow but maybe he can slot into centre. I think though he is a great bench player or edge backrower.

I honestly think we only need a player or two to improve significantly. I think a quality winger and a half could transform our team. We needed a better coach than Taylor and we needed some stability off field that I think was predominantly due to the big 4 not signing or going. I think this year we may get the squad sorted depending on if we keep Tedesco and sign a couple of players in key positions. I think though this year is probably a write off and it's a shame because our squad isn't bad and I think we could have had a good year. The players though and the signing dramas have really caused our issues. I suppose Taylor was also a terrible coach and that was a contributing factor as well.

Need a centre,half,strong backrower and a fullback if Tedesco leaves.A prop if Hillbilly leaves.
We also need to SACK the fitness staff.........we are always stuffed halfway thru the second half every week.

Clifferd

Coach
I don't even know if we'd need another prop to fill the void if woods left

We already have Sue, Grant, Ava, Aloiai, Felise, Tatola etc who are all more than capable.

The word on the street is we've already signed Matulino just waiting on the cooling off period

replacement for Aliola or even scissorhands Lawrence.

Yeah I'd be bringing him in to play in the backrow. Don't know how he'd go at 80 minutes, usually averages 50 minutes a game so we'd still need Lawrence or Aloiai. Aloiai will get better, but Lawrence would be the better one to start in the meantime as he runs good lines and is still pretty solid defensively if he's not letting his man get outside him.

Tiger05

First Grade

We already have Sue, Grant, Ava, Aloiai, Felise, Tatola etc who are all more than capable.

The word on the street is we've already signed Matulino just waiting on the cooling off period

Yep. I see no reason to replace Woods especially if we signed Matulino. It's edge players that we need but I think Idris, MCK and McQueen may do the job there.

I reckon we need a half to replace Moses and hopefully a quality option and we'd be heaps better with another outside back especially a winger.

Billythekid

First Grade
Charlatan, as a replacement for ET or in addition to?

Both are on the small side.

He is? He's around 6'3 and over 100 kg's. He's not a big back tower but he's hardly small. He bends the line back and hits hard in defence. He would be a fantastic pickup and unlike a lot of players currently on the market isn't going for way over what he deserves.

Plenty of other options though.

simmo05

Bench

What has been the story with Felise?

Tiger05

First Grade
MM and Chee Kam are the surprise packets this year, particularly when Chee Kam is playing 2nd row.

Idris started to show his past form. I don't think he has the pace required for centre though, might need to move to 2nd row

Exactly. I think we can fix our pack without breaking the bank. I see losing Woods as being a positive. He isn't good at getting a roll on for us.

I reckon we really need an outside back and a gun half if we retain Tedesco. Otherwise we need 3 players. Ideally we add some more forwards as well but it's a priority issue. We also need some classy players. Guys that can win games for us.

TiggaPlease

Chee Kam is certainly wasted at centre, he's looked terrific since playing in his natural edge running position. It would still be good to get one more 2nd rower but McQueen, Chee Kam & Taylor is a pretty good starting point.

Tiger05

First Grade
Chee Kam is certainly wasted at centre, he's looked terrific since playing in his natural edge running position. It would still be good to get one more 2nd rower but McQueen, Chee Kam & Taylor is a pretty good starting point.

They can do the job but that isn't a big back row. The problem is we might get rolled over at times.

I think Idris could slot into the backrow and if he keeps coming on he can be that impact player for us. He can hit and is hard to handle because he is massive. I just wish he retained some pace.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
We need props. Grant isn't getting better and Ava is more a toiler than an impact player.

2 solid starting props with grunt would be brilliant. Matulino and Packer fit the bill well.

Aloiai has not kicked on. He's not as good as Lawrence and that is a worry. His defence can get feeble when he's tiring. Lawrence is still reliable in defence (not great, but is much harder for attackers to get past)

Tiger Woody

Juniors
We need props. Grant isn't getting better and Ava is more a toiler than an impact player.

2 solid starting props with grunt would be brilliant. Matulino and Packer fit the bill well.

Aloiai has not kicked on. He's not as good as Lawrence and that is a worry. His defence can get feeble when he's tiring. Lawrence is still reliable in defence (not great, but is much harder for attackers to get past)
Ava hasn't improved much either
Josh has shocking hands,similar to Lawrence.
Our back row is poor.
I am really concerned for 2018.

Shredder

Juniors
Again, these guys - all of them are depth players.
They get offered minimum wage and they stay to fill in numbers - or they leave.

Grant, Ava and Aloiai are never going to win us a comp.